new to windows phone

Hello,

Just bought a Nokia Lumia 710 from Carphone Warhouse on there pay as you go deal. I was using a Galaxy S2 but have decided to switch for a while and see what these Windows Phones are like! What good apps can you recommend? Any tips and tricks i should know?

Thanks

Richard

Hello,

Just bought a Nokia Lumia 710 from Carphone Warhouse on there pay as you go deal. I was using a Galaxy S2 but have decided to switch for a while and see what these Windows Phones are like! What good apps can you recommend? Any tips and tricks i should know?

Thanks

Richard

4th & Mayor

For some time wasting games:

Wordament

Chessbypost (If you like chess :p)

Pex4Fun (if you want to learn to code)

Apps:

Flashlight XT (or similar) - A must have for turning your phone into a flashlight (hella useful :))

Microsoft Insider - A hidden gem of the WP ecosystem. It's released by MS and has a bunch of tips and tricks, wallpapers and ringtones (Don't bother with the ringtones).

Skydrive (If you use it)

Skype (If you use it)

Photosynth (If you take a lot of photos :))

Tips:

Silent profile is enabled by pressing the volume rocker and clicking the little icon on screen.

Sync all your contacts with your Microsoft profile. Makes your life a ton easier if you need to change/move anything.

Play. You just need to play with it to learn.

If you have questions, just shout :D

That should get you started :)

If you use Reddit - Baconit

If you're a student and need a homework planner/schedule - Power Planner

If you're a student and need to study flashcards - Kleio

If you need to set a sleep timer on your music - Stop Music

Fun games

GeoDefense

Tentacles

Jet Car Stunts

this is something many new WP users don't know, so i'll say it: tap the top of the screen to see the status bar icons. They're all hidden by default unless they require your attention.

Use the battery saver function to turn off notifications, push email, and updating live tiles for extra battery life.

Use the battery saver function to turn off notifications, push email, and updating live tiles for extra battery life.

why would you buy a wp and turn off live tile? Do you buy an xbox or ps3 and throw away the controllers?

this is something many new WP users don't know, so i'll say it: tap the top of the screen to see the status bar icons. They're all hidden by default unless they require your attention.

I find swiping my finger down from above the screen to just below the notification area works better than tapping, tapping seems to take a few attempts on the 710 before they appear, swiping down works every time

why would you buy a wp and turn off live tile? Do you buy an xbox or ps3 and throw away the controllers?

Because they decided to put weak ass batteries in them that barely last a day with medium use

Battery saver only switches off features when your battery life drops down to a critical level (10% I think). It's designed to keep your phone lasting that little bit longer.

Battery saver only switches off features when your battery life drops down to a critical level (10% I think). It's designed to keep your phone lasting that little bit longer.

You can enable it with 100% battery if you like too

mm I don't know, to save battery maybe, if you are running out of battery and you know you won't be near an outlet any time soon you use that function, its just a temporary solution. Great comparison you got right there....

ConnectivityShortcuts, MS Translator, artist info (if bing music doesn't work for you)

tip by MS PAndya (I didn't know this :s) : WP7 has a built in scientific calculator. If you landscape the device so the back/windows/bing buttons are on the right, you get a scientific calculator. For bonus points, if you landscape the device the other way so the buttons are on the left, you get a programmer's calculator that does octal, hex, binary, and other useful stuff.

Thanks guys i have got some cool new apps now. I really hope Microsoft can make this work, as they have a really good Phone OS on their hand here.