Guest Network support added to Netgear R6300

Guest network added on Firmware v1.0.2.10

GuHuE.png

Manufacturer Response:

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your honest review of your experiences with the R6300 so far. First of all, we'd like to address the guest network issue--a firmware update has been released for the R6300 which resolves this. Please try updating to the latest version and give the guest network feature a try!

As for the range problems you're having, we'd like to help. If there is any way you can test the signal strength of the R6300 vs. your other dual band N router (e.g., with inSSIDer or a similar tool) that would be helpful for our technicians. You can email us at newegg@netgear.com.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

carrot._V192251235_.gifNETGEAR Team says:

c7y_badge_mf_1._V192249969_.gif

Hello Kevin,

We're sorry about the issues you had with the guest network, and hope that you will give the router another try. The next firmware release is expected in mid-June, and will resolve the guest network support issue.

If you'd like to speak with us directly, please contact us via amazon@netgear.com with your information, and we'll get a technician in touch with you.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

http://support.netge...tail/a_id/20866

http://support.netge.../app/answers/detail/a_id/20866

http://support.netge.../app/answers/detail/a_id/20866

Edited by Colin-uk
edited title

Does this by any chance add the Guest Network functionality when upgrading to Firmware v1.0.2.10?

Correct

I expected to read about some major security vulnerability that had been patched when clicking on this thread...

People who want a guest network will now be happy.

Newegg_com_NETGEAR_R6300_Wireless_AC_Dual_Band.png

IT WAS AN ADVERTISED FEATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hell, so is 'Other OS' support on the PlayStation 3, doesn't mean it actually ever works or functions as expected. As long as they're planning to *fix* *add* support for something then they're not breaking any laws.

DD-WRT / Tomato Firmware is the best solutions for this.

is it supported yet???? this router JUST CAME OUT!

I'm being helpful here and you are being mean about it. I'm trying to help people that have this router and you are complaining about it.

This is a very important feature!!! not everyone can run 2 routers at the same time.... if they have a bad house layout or whatever....

Being mean about it?? :blink:

Think maybe your reading into his responses? Seems to me he was just stating fact, they are in their legal right to say its a feature - even if there are problems or not added until next firmware, etc.

And I agree with him about the cheaper AP being able to do the same thing. Any box that can run say dd-wrt can do a guest network - plus a lot more I am sure than any features they might be saying they can do. Those routers can be had for a lot less than $200.

As to this

"not everyone can run 2 routers at the same time.... if they have a bad house layout or whatever...."

Again :blink: no idea what your talking about - who ever said anything about running multiple routers? And even if they did, bad layout of the house would be more of a reason to run multiple AP than keeping you from doing it ;)

I'm not surprised that advertised features aren't working as they should. It is made by Netgear afterall.

:|

seems like a useful update for the few people who cares(let'sbe hoest the average user won't know, and the ones who know is more likely to beable to and want to set up a better solution.), but i don't see how it is a "important" update.

Ever have people come over that wanna use your internet that you don't want snooping on your LAN's files? Guest Networks creates an isolated medium for guests to access the internet (WAN) without having access to your LAN's contents.

Or do any of you not have any friends?

in that case for you guys not needing this functionality:

Forever_Alone.png

"you don't want snooping on your LAN's files?"

Ok lets make sure we don't get any FUD started here.. Just because a user has access to your wireless network, does not MEAN they have access to your files. Have you shared your files without any security. Ie open to anonymous auth\everyone group?

Yes a guest network creates a network with a different SSID, and can be setup with different security or even open that just allows access to your internet. But even if you just use a normal wireless connection that also has access to your wired devices does not mean they have access to your files. This can be prevented with simple basic security on your shares, and or that software firewall your running to only allow access from the machines you want to have access.

Yes a guest network can be handy, yes it can prevent access to your normal network while allowing guests to use your internet. But not using it does not have to mean that anyone on your wireless network has access to your file shares. It would depend on how you have them shared, and what if any firewall rules you might have setup, etc. etc.

Ever have people come over that wanna use your internet that you don't want snooping on your LAN's files? Guest Networks creates an isolated medium for guests to access the internet (WAN) without having access to your LAN's contents.

Or do any of you not have any friends?

in that case for you guys not needing this functionality:

Forever_Alone.png

why would people on my network have access to my lan files? my computers are not left open to anyone except the folders i want to share. it's called password protection and is a better practice anyway.

Ever have people come over that wanna use your internet that you don't want snooping on your LAN's files?

I secure my clients and servers and only allow access to users who I want to access them.