Thoughts on this build?

Hey guys, in the process of rebuilding my gaming rig, any advice would be great

Heres the parts im using.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus P8Z77-V Socket 1155 VGA DVI DisplayPort HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue Intel Socket 775, 1155, 1156, 1366 AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3 Processor Cooler

OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 500MB/s 85,000 IOPS

WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

NZXT Phantom White Full Tower Case

Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered

Pioneer DVRS19LBK 24x DVD?RW DL & RAM with Labelflash SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black with Software

Asus VS228H LCD LED Full HD 21.5" HDMI Monitor

I decided against a bluray drive as i barely even use cds/dvds... also i wil be using a 19"asus monitor i currently have as a second screen..

These are all from ebuyer...the quickfind codes are next to the prices

My max budget is ?1000 for the components, I only really play League of Legends, Diablo 3 and similiar games, I might get into video editing at a later date but nothing at the mo

Cheers guys

Much Love

Dave

Changed the ssd from the agility to the

OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read 550MB/s Write 500MB/s 85,000 IOPS

Anyone had any expierence with these drives? Any negatives or positives?...OR anyone who can recommend a good SSD... 120GB is a must

Did a similar build last week so what I can say is the mobo, psu, and gpu are all good picks and easy to work with. Haven't got the SSD yet, so will be watching the thread for that. Have fun.

850 watts is kinda over-kill for one 6850. That's the only thing I would change.

I agree, I think 650W would be more than enough. Unless you're planning to add another GPU (crossfire) to your setup as a future upgrade or something, which would also be an overkill considering that neither the type of games you'r running nor the size of your screen would really require that much hours power.

I have 2 agility 3 drives. the benefits of vertex 3 are negligible in real world situations. If the price different isn't too high, go for it, it's not gonna hurt.

The rest is solid. I would go for a better graphics card but gaming is obviously not a concern for you.

I also highly recommend HAF X towers. My full tower moves so much air and stays silent. I love it. Screw less design is sweet and i got 2.5" mounting brackets all ready to go. Bolded the mounting brackets because too often people but everything and forget these. Some cases don't have them so look into it.

Cheers for the comments guys, reason im grabbing an 850watt is exactly the reason you've said...in a year or two i was thinking of adding another card in Crossfire..

MY current(dead) build is running a 580watt and i just find it a bit restrictive...

Ill look more into the agility vs vertex thing as ive heard most agility's are the same as the vertex...not sure how true that is.

The graphics card 6850 is just over ?100 at the mo, would anyone recommend Nvidia over this one? And if so which one? :)

Might be worth swapping the Vengeance ram for some G.Skills RipJaws if you can get them for a similar price; small boost in performance; also I prefer nVidia cards over ATi but that's just personal preference thing ;)

Throwing a +1 behind Capr's comment.

I own an Agility now, and had a Vertex 3. There's literally no real world performance difference, but if it's not much extra, the Vertex is worth a pop.

Cheers for the comments guys, reason im grabbing an 850watt is exactly the reason you've said...in a year or two i was thinking of adding another card in Crossfire..

MY current(dead) build is running a 580watt and i just find it a bit restrictive...

Ill look more into the agility vs vertex thing as ive heard most agility's are the same as the vertex...not sure how true that is.

The graphics card 6850 is just over ?100 at the mo, would anyone recommend Nvidia over this one? And if so which one? :)

If you're planning on (even maybe) upgrading to two video cards, then yeah... you're fine picking the 850 watt PSU.

Personally, I would pick an Nvidia 560ti if I had to choose one now. I think the GTX 570 is too much money for what you get, and my GTX 260 is about equal or better than a 550ti. Money not being an issue, I'd grab a GTX 670 and not do SLI. I always stick to one card as far as the GPU goes.

You should get the Vertex 4 instead of the 3. It has a better controller and will have a nice healthy future of firmware updates down the line.

If you don't want the 4, then the 3 is perfectly fine. I have 2 of them in RAID and they are great. Ridiculously fast.

The Agility is the budget model, so stick with the 3 or 4.

The Agility is the budget model, so stick with the 3 or 4.

agility is not the budget model. yes, it's amazing that it fits in most people's budget. that's how you know it's a good deal to buy these.

agility is not the budget model. yes, it's amazing that it fits in most people's budget. that's how you know it's a good deal to buy these.

Yes, the Agility is a budget model. It uses a lower quality NAND than the regular Vertex 3, and has slower performance.

Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 over ANY sandforce SSDs, the m4/830 have way better random read/writes, the sandforce has better theoretical read/write speeds but in every day situations its almost half as fast as the Marvell based Crucial/Samsung.

I own an Agility 3, and I agree with the comments being made here. It's not particularly fast, I'd go for a better SSD personally.

I have pretty much this exact build but in a laptop and it can handle Diablo 3 on max 60 fps (most of the time) so seeing as your version would be the desktop part I would say you would have no troubles at all. Infact I can run most games on medium to high and they work great so yeah yours will do atleast that probably better.

850 watts is kinda over-kill for one 6850. That's the only thing I would change.

it might be, but the way i see it is this... if you don't use any were near the capacity of your PSU it's less stress on it which theoretically should extend the life of your PSU. because i imagine if your only using around half of the PSU's capacity vs 3/4th or more of it i would imagine that the PSU with only around half load will on average last longer than the one being pushed pretty good.

so basically unless that 850watt PSU costs a lot more than a lower wattage PSU i would keep it because of that.

--------------------------------------------------------

also, i think 2 video cards is pretty much a waste of power/money simply because right now with the PS3/360 generation of consoles controlling the progress of the game market a single fast GPU is plenty right now and will be good enough at least until the next generation of consoles arrive which i would imagine is roughly a couple years from now.

once the next generation of consoles arrive then i suspect it will start that process all over again of you needing more and more powerful CPU/GPU's until it hits a point where CPU/GPU's are comfortably ahead of the consoles in which case running games will be basically easy to run again for years as i imagine any decent CPU/GPU from the last handful of years or so can still run current (and into the future til next gen consoles arrive) games without much issue.

Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 over ANY sandforce SSDs, the m4/830 have way better random read/writes, the sandforce has better theoretical read/write speeds but in every day situations its almost half as fast as the Marvell based Crucial/Samsung.

I'd be curious to see some proof for that claim (not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with it quite yet).