Upgraded to Windows 8 - no adhoc wifi and hence no internet for HTC Flyer&#

EARLIER

HTC Flyer on Honeycomb

I used to create a virtual wifi through my laptop using VirtualWIFIRouter and Flyer used to connect to it readily......it was used primarily due to the fact that Flyer didn't even found the adhoc networks created by the default Windows 7 interface.....

NOW

HTC Flyer on Honeycomb

Microsoft has killed off the Miniport Driver. (I apologise if my terminology is a bit off) So, Windows 8 is basically not capable of creating adhoc networks. In fact, the wizard to create adhoc networks is missing too.....VirtualWIFIRouter refuses to create an adhoc network and gives a message "Please enable the wifi adapter.". So it has become next to impossible to connect my Flyer to internet unless you people help me out.....I have searched the internet for answers and for similar problems but have been unable to find anything substantial so far.....I have tried the netsh workaround but Flyer refuses to connect to that network giving out a message "Acquiring IP address...." but never manages to acquire it I guess......

Thanks! smile.gif

Did they really do this? I sort of doubt they did. What WiFi card do you have?

By the way, even if you create a virtual network, it should always be visible in the network adapter view. Then you should do internet connection sharing on your regular internet adapter to the virtual one.

Did they really do this? I sort of doubt they did. What WiFi card do you have?

It is a "Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter" and its driver reports itself to be an updated one. I have tried installing-uninstalling it again and again but didn't seem to work. I have attached a screenshot of Device Manager herewith.

By the way, even if you create a virtual network, it should always be visible in the network adapter view. Then you should do internet connection sharing on your regular internet adapter to the virtual one.

As I said above, HTC Flyer never supported adhoc networks created by Windows 7 (It has a wizard to create Adhoc networks).....So I used to create adhoc network using a 3rd party tool called "VirtualWIFIRouter" which always worked for me and created a virtual wireless connection using the Local Area Connection that I have.....

But what is happening in Windows 8 is that not only that wizard is missing but now VirtualWIFIRouter refuses to create a virtual wireless network and gives out a message "Please enable the wifi adapter."..

I hope it gives you more understanding of the issue...thanks for replying! :)

post-134553-0-58577600-1339696683.png

Strange. For me, Windows 7 natively does proper virtual Access Points, as my Xperia S doesn't support ad-hoc networking either and it's always worked fine. I do have another WiFi card though.