Photo

How can I use my Smart Card (CAC) to Logon to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrixzer0

unimatrixzer0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 June 2012 - 16:41

How can I use my Smart Card (CAC) to Logon to Windows 7? Is this a feature already integrated into Windows 7? Do I need a certain version of Windows 7 or third party app? As an alternative to using a password I'd like to be able to logon to my personal Windows 7 computer using my Gov. issued CAC. I tried google and searching for youtube how-to's but no luck. Is it so easy that it's not worth posting a step-by-step guide? Any help is appreciated.

I don't know if using a Smart Card to logon would be more secure than having a password, I just think it would be a neat way to logon since I have my CAC with me all the time. Thanks.

#2 ObiWanToby

ObiWanToby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 June 2012 - 16:46

I am pretty sure this is not possible. I think the CAC has some certificates that are stored in AD for the government systems. I myself have wondered this myself. I mainly use the CAC for VPN nothing else.

#3 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:01

Hello,

From looking at Wikipedia and the CAC home page, I don't think the Department of Defense is going to let you use your smart card to log into your personal computer. You could obtain a USB- or ExpressCard-based smart card adapter and use another smart card to login, or if you don't want to carry another card, perhaps add a fingerprint reader. AuthenTec (formerly UPEK) makes a number of USB-based readers. I've been using the original Eikon model with Microsoft Windows 7 x64 SP1 and it works quite well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#4 vletoux

vletoux

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:38

Get a look at EIDAuthenticate which allows smart card on stand alone computer.It's working with the CAC smart card.
You can download the community edition for free : http://www.mysmartlo...thenticate.html
regards,
Vincent

#5 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:24

Hello,

From looking at Wikipedia and the CAC home page, I don't think the Department of Defense is going to let you use your smart card to log into your personal computer. You could obtain a USB- or ExpressCard-based smart card adapter and use another smart card to login, or if you don't want to carry another card, perhaps add a fingerprint reader. AuthenTec (formerly UPEK) makes a number of USB-based readers. I've been using the original Eikon model with Microsoft Windows 7 x64 SP1 and it works quite well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Authentec got bought out by Apple, and in typical apple fashion, stopped selling anything.