How can I use my Smart Card (CAC) to Logon to Windows 7?

How can I use my Smart Card (CAC) to Logon to Windows 7? Is this a feature already integrated into Windows 7? Do I need a certain version of Windows 7 or third party app? As an alternative to using a password I'd like to be able to logon to my personal Windows 7 computer using my Gov. issued CAC. I tried google and searching for youtube how-to's but no luck. Is it so easy that it's not worth posting a step-by-step guide? Any help is appreciated.

I don't know if using a Smart Card to logon would be more secure than having a password, I just think it would be a neat way to logon since I have my CAC with me all the time. Thanks.

I am pretty sure this is not possible. I think the CAC has some certificates that are stored in AD for the government systems. I myself have wondered this myself. I mainly use the CAC for VPN nothing else.

Hello,

From looking at Wikipedia and the CAC home page, I don't think the Department of Defense is going to let you use your smart card to log into your personal computer. You could obtain a USB- or ExpressCard-based smart card adapter and use another smart card to login, or if you don't want to carry another card, perhaps add a fingerprint reader. AuthenTec (formerly UPEK) makes a number of USB-based readers. I've been using the original Eikon model with Microsoft Windows 7 x64 SP1 and it works quite well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 5 months later...

Hello,

From looking at Wikipedia and the CAC home page, I don't think the Department of Defense is going to let you use your smart card to log into your personal computer. You could obtain a USB- or ExpressCard-based smart card adapter and use another smart card to login, or if you don't want to carry another card, perhaps add a fingerprint reader. AuthenTec (formerly UPEK) makes a number of USB-based readers. I've been using the original Eikon model with Microsoft Windows 7 x64 SP1 and it works quite well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Authentec got bought out by Apple, and in typical apple fashion, stopped selling anything.