Photo

Surface and Metro: This party's just gettin' started.

microsoft surface windows 8 metro

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#31 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:44

Wow, the hatred on the article on Mac Rumors....

#32 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:45

the more I see of this the more I like it but I hope it's affordable.... I hope the x86 version will be priced even to compete with the ipad. I would pay 700-800 if it was "better then an ultrabook" and I would have my laptop and tablet in one instead of buying both for serious work. This has me saving up some as well I put 20 aside so far last night...

and lact8 for windows8 is on! It's official... I want this....!!! anyone that wants to buy me one if I make myself lactate without a baby can buy me one I'll do it!!!

#33 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:45

I think no OEM is going to top that kinda quality. If they do... We will have not one but many iPad killers. This time for real.

#34 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47

Damn, still watching the keynote but I really want one of those Surfaces. It's about time Microsoft nailed the Apple desirability factor.

#35 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:49

Haha just watching the Keynote, I love Microsoft keynotes when things go wrong, the tablet he was using messed up.

I noticed that too ;)

#36 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:51

Is it true the Surface has vents and cooling fans? :/

#37 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:52

Just finished watching the keynote and it basically confirmed what I already thought: the hardware and touch cover look absolutely amazing. Windows 8 on the other hand offers anything but a smooth experience and screws up on many occasions. Having to switch to the legacy desktop for Office is just insane on a tablet. I know the OS isn't final yet, but it isn't exactly far off from being so either.

Completely agree. I was impressed by the hardware and integration. It's just the software that lets it down, much like the Lumia in my opinion.

#38 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:54

Is it true the Surface has vents and cooling fans? :/

The Win RT one doesn't the Win 8 Pro one does because its running Core i5 Ivybridge, there are no fans you wont feel the hot air its just got a vent all the way round so air can get under it without you blocking it no matter how you hold it.

#39 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:54

Something else I noticed: Not once did they show how everything works when holding the Surface in portrait. Or did I miss that in the video?

#40 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:57

It's not going to be an iPad killer yet - MS and 3rd party developers have yet to create an app ecosystem comparable with the iOS ecosystem. That said, if any company can pull this off it's Microsoft for the well-known reasons - excellent dev tools, amount of developers, last but not least ubiquity of Windows. Windows 8 will be on millions of devices starting this autumn, so 3rd party devs are going to want to make sure to provide applications optimised for Windows 8/Metro alongside traditional desktop apps.

What Surface and future Windows 8 tablets will achieve is effectively the death of the Android tablet market. With Apple and Microsoft offering a coherent and user- as well as developer-friendly experience on their tablet offerings - who's going to invest into the fragmented Android market now? I can't think of any incentive for a software company to develop for Android tablets instead of iPad or Win8/WinRT at the moment.

And yes, I do want a Surface Pro.

#41 psreloaded

psreloaded

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:57

That keyboard and inbuilt stand has me sold... Something which was missing from tablets altogether. Good for working professionals.

#42 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:02

The Win RT one doesn't the Win 8 Pro one does because its running Core i5 Ivybridge, there are no fans you wont feel the hot air its just got a vent all the way round so air can get under it without you blocking it no matter how you hold it.

Fair enough.

Completely agree. I was impressed by the hardware and integration. It's just the software that lets it down, much like the Lumia in my opinion.

Personally I really like Windows Phone 7.

#43 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:13

Something else I noticed: Not once did they show how everything works when holding the Surface in portrait. Or did I miss that in the video?

He didn't show it in the video, however a while back Microsoft showed Windows 8 will work in Portrait mode.

Posted Image

#44 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:21

I like the fact they have two types of keyboard covers, the touch and the type cover. So depending on what you want you can mix and match. I also think having the venting all around the device is smart, no matter how you hold it you aren't blocking airflow etc. I don't know about the Pro version having a fan, while it's an i5 we don't know what type at all, it could be a lower clocked ULV i5 or something so it could not really need a fan as well? At least I didn't hear anything about a fan from them or people at the event.

Regardless, the rest is up to price, if the Pro is around $700-$800 I think it's a deal. USB3, display port, plus all the rest and you basically have a powerful PC you can dock and get work done and then take with you like a tablet. I'll have to wait and see but I could get the pro unless price and battery life aren't there, though I think they will be actually.

#45 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:43

He didn't show it in the video, however a while back Microsoft showed Windows 8 will work in Portrait mode.

Thanks for the pic. A lot of screen space being wasted away though. :/