will windows 8 rt office support vba?

windows rt office vba

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:02

as the title says, anybody have a source or an educated guess on whether the windows 8 rt version of office (either the free version or a possible upgraded version) will support vba and macros?

i think it prob will, and assuming it uses the same file types (xlsm, etc) that should mean files you've made in office 2007 should work too?

could make a big difference to people's choice of windows 8 rt or windows 8 tablet

#2 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:08

I can see it supporting VBA, but stuff like COM would be limited for the ARM version.

#3 +S_Herbie

S_Herbie

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:43

The way that MS has been headed for the past few years I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't available.
Having said that, there still isn't a credible alternative for quick ad-hoc application based development so it may be there in a cut down form but maybe not in the version of Office after 2013.

#4 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 19 June 2012 - 15:55

The way that MS has been headed for the past few years I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't available.
Having said that, there still isn't a credible alternative for quick ad-hoc application based development so it may be there in a cut down form but maybe not in the version of Office after 2013.

I've been out of the look for quite some time - what do they plan to replace VBA with?

#5 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:24

I've been out of the look for quite some time - what do they plan to replace VBA with?

At a guess, something .NET based.

#6 +S_Herbie

S_Herbie

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:43

At a guess, something .NET based.

Yes, something that will run in a browser rather than being tied to the desktop application.
Could be great in the long run, but a complete pain for the first 5 or so years.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!