Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

10 posts in this topic

NASHVILLE ? A Tennessee restaurant owner was found dead after apparently accidentally locking himself inside a walk-in cooler, Fox 17 reports.

47-year-old Jay Luther was found early Monday by an employee at Germantown Cafe East, the restaurant Luther co-owned.

Police say the restaurant had lost power Friday, so the employees had placed food inside the cooler along with dry ice to keep it cool. When the power came back on Sunday, Luther apparently went inside the cooler to retrieve it and became trapped.They say it appears a button opening the cooler from the inside may have been broken.

Authorities say Luther may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of the dry ice.

Family members tell Fox 17 Luther was a family-oriented man who had a passion for cooking.

?Cooking was his passion it was his life and he passed away doing what he liked to do he was getting ready to prepare the next meal," Luther's brother-in- law, Peter Ruf told Fox 17.

source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, only in the movies.

or in real life in this case....

wait, looks too innocent to be accidental...how much is the wife getting again?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He must of got an old freezer becuase they come with safety device so you cannot do that anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the yelp reviews will get worse now!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He must of got an old freezer becuase they come with safety device so you cannot do that anymore.

They come with a safety device that stops the safety button from breaking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From working in a supermarket many moons ago I can confirm that this is entirely plausible, particularly in the old style "refrigerated container" type jigs. The button inside the freezer used to frequently fail. We had a guy stuck in there for an hour and he looked like Jack Frost by the time we realised he was missing. Lucky he had his freezer kit on from working on the shop floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a bad design when it can have obvious safety implications. Why even have locks on a Freezer, just have a normal door handle, and if security is required make an external lock which is not integrated with the door mechanism.

If he was aware that the inside switch was broken, then I guess it's his own fault for not getting it fixed since he was the owner.

I'm also guessing that the Freezer would act as a Faraday cage so mobile phone's won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least he had all the ice cream he could eat.

More seriously, freezers need some sort of panic alarm button to press, or a intercom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this can easily happen with those old freezers. A friend of mine got stuck in for for about 20 minutes. He was panicking by the time they got him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.