microsoft surface and amd?

microsoft surface

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jorel009

jorel009

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:15

does anyone know is microsoft will make a surface tablet with amd cpu's, there has been no news on this and its ****ing me off?

thanks.

#2 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:16

Not likely

#3 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6, iPad Mini

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:17

No they aren't.

#4 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:18

No. They just aren't technologically competitive. Sure, they can do low power parts, but their power/performance at the low-power end of the scale is years behind Intel.

#5 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:29

Yea they do that, then folks who use them would then complain of how slow they are. So the better question is why would they want to?

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49

Yea they do that, then folks who use them would then complain of how slow they are. So the better question is why would they want to?

They'd want to use a AMD APU if they wanted better graphics performance. Lets face it, while the i5 is the better CPU, Intels HD4000 IGP isn't anywhere as close to what AMD puts into it's new APUs. But again, the Surface Pro could be targeting those who want to consume media AND do some work, those people aren't going to be playing something like Crysis on these devices so having something better than the Intel HD4000 IGP could be for nothing. As long as the devices can do 1080p video playback I think everyones happy.

#7 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:18

They'd want to use a AMD APU if they wanted better graphics performance. Lets face it, while the i5 is the better CPU, Intels HD4000 IGP isn't anywhere as close to what AMD puts into it's new APUs. But again, the Surface Pro could be targeting those who want to consume media AND do some work, those people aren't going to be playing something like Crysis on these devices so having something better than the Intel HD4000 IGP could be for nothing. As long as the devices can do 1080p video playback I think everyones happy.

Considering the market for the pro models (in my opinion) is mostly made of business, I'd think the iGPU would be more than enough.

#8 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:37

It would be a sad day ruining a great product my last amd/ati box was $650 and couldn't run wow on the lowest settings above 5fps (my kids Gen 1 aspire one with a atom and the 945 chipset ran at 15fps) I sold it a month later for $175 because I didn't want to rip off the person.

Amd will be kept a float by console gpu's

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:46

so you tried to run WoW on a computer that was already 10 years old when WoW launched ?

that's theonly way to explain tha, as an AMD will run WoW and other games just as well as an intel comouter of the same or higher value.

their cpu's are eaker than the igh end intel's but then, no ames today need a very powerul cpu.

#10 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:45

so you tried to run WoW on a computer that was already 10 years old when WoW launched ?

that's theonly way to explain tha, as an AMD will run WoW and other games just as well as an intel comouter of the same or higher value.

their cpu's are eaker than the igh end intel's but then, no ames today need a very powerul cpu.

Are you having some keyboard problems, there? :p

I can't see them using AMD, their performance is so poor.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:49

Are you having some keyboard problems, there? :p

I can't see them using AMD, their performance is so poor.

ipad's are **** to type on :)

as for AMD, while their performance is lower than high end intels, they are absolutely not poor, especially not their APU's. and what exactly do you propose a customer need the improved perfromance of a more expensive i5 over an AMD APU for n anything but a video editing/3D workstation ?

#12 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:35

Well in the pro version, it would be a laptop replacement. So, many things.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 15:07

like?

are gonna render your 3DSMAX previews on a tab ? oh wait, AMD will be ale to handle that just fine as well.

so howis AMD to slow to be usable in such a form factor, especially since with their APU, they will in fact be faster at most tasks

#14 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2012 - 19:05

For the same reason that you don't buy a £500+ laptop with an AMD processor, or a mid-range desktop with anything other than an i3 or i5.

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 21 June 2012 - 19:12

I think this was said already but in case it wasn't, MS said at the start that these are the first in a "range" of hardware devices. So who knows what other versions of the Surface we'll see? For example I expect a 7" ARM version at some point, I think it's a given. And probably later after that a 13" Pro version as well.

Who's to say we don't see a AMD version at some point? If we want to compare AMDs APUs to something like Intels Atoms then I'd go with AMD in that case.