So Opera is the first to the punch

Is it really true Opera now has a 64 bit version unlike Firefox and Chrome now ? I am not surprised they were first if so. Just wish Mozilla would hurry up with a 64 bit version. We don't need it but would be very nice to have.

They weren't first to 64-bit, not even close - they missed that mark by several years. They might have been on Windows but not on any other platform.

They weren't first to 64-bit, not even close - they missed that mark by several years. They might have been on Windows but not on any other platform.

That is what I was talking about windows. So who was first on any other platform then ?

Is it really true Opera now has a 64 bit version unlike Firefox and Chrome now ? I am not surprised they were first if so. Just wish Mozilla would hurry up with a 64 bit version. We don't need it but would be very nice to have.

err....IE has had a 64 bit version for years.

Opera 12 is mostly about catching up to other browsers, sorry.

The only thing really new is the OpenGL acceleration which doesn't even work because it's buggy as hell. Firefox tried to do this back in January and also failed so even that isn't "technically" new.

First with a usable 64 bit version that can actually be used for daily use by anyone

First with 64 bit on all major platforms

That is what I was talking about windows. So who was first on any other platform then ?

First pure 64bit browser? Possibly IE on IA-64

But what does it matter really, what do you gain by running a 64bit browser at this point?

Opera 12 is mostly about catching up to other browsers, sorry.

The only thing really new is the OpenGL acceleration which doesn't even work because it's buggy as hell. Firefox tried to do this back in January and also failed so even that isn't "technically" new.

Catching up in what way ? most things other browsers are still trying to catch up to Opera. the only thing they caught up others in is HWA, but since their software is perceptually just as fast as other browsers HWA....

• Like 2

First with a usable 64 bit version that can actually be used for daily use by anyone

Yeah because IE was totally unusable, riiight? :D

Congrats, hey at least they accomplished something!

Congrats, hey at least they accomplished something!

They're also the first browser with full hardware acceleration on all major platforms. Though that probably won't be stable until Opera 13 :p

Yeah because IE was totally unusable, riiight? :D

They had no 64-bit wrapper for Flash, so you would've missed out a sizable chunk of content on the web _at the time_.

Netscape/Firefox/Konqueror et al. went around this by using a 32-bit wrapper on Linux but the browser was otherwise 64-bit.

First pure 64bit browser? Possibly IE on IA-64

But what does it matter really, what do you gain by running a 64bit browser at this point?

it doesn't say *32 in the task manager.

important stuff.

They're also the first browser with full hardware acceleration on all major platforms. Though that probably won't be stable until Opera 13 :p

Read my post before the one you quoted.

Also, they can't claim first until it actually works. That's like claiming someone made the first flying car just because it has wings, yet doesn't actually fly.

They had no 64-bit wrapper for Flash, so you would've missed out a sizable chunk of content on the web _at the time_.

Netscape/Firefox went around this by using a 32-bit wrapper on Linux but the browser was otherwise 64-bit.

So? That makes it unusable? Last I checked 64bit flash came out BEFORE Opera 12, so if IE was "unusable" back then it became useable when flash 64 came out, which happened to be before Opera 12...

it doesn't say *32 in the task manager.

important stuff.

64bit allows more ASLR entropy which will naturally "boost its resistance" to exploits. It was talked about extensively over on the IE blog when IE9 came out.

This is assuming Opera opts into ASLR, which I hope they do.

So? That makes it unusable? Last I checked 64bit flash came out BEFORE Opera 12, so if IE was "unusable" back then it became useable when flash 64 came out, which happened to be before Opera 12...

Actually Opera had 64-bit builds for Linux years ago. Konqueror had them even before that.

I'm simply pointing out IE wasn't the first.

Actually Opera had 64-bit builds for Linux years ago. Konqueror had them even before that.

I'm simply pointing out IE wasn't the first.

I didn't say IE was the first, feel free to quote where I did....

I'm proving that Opera isn't the first, Firefox has had 64bit builds on Linux for years....

IE has them beat by a million miles.

http://en.wikipedia....rnet_Explorer_8

the 64 bit version of ie has a totally gimped javascript engine. Opera 64 bit has parity with the 32 bit version, and even supports 32 bit plugins. Right now its the only "proper" major 64-bit browser on windows.

I didn't say IE was the first, feel free to quote where I did....

I'm proving that Opera isn't the first, Firefox has had 64bit builds on Linux for years....

but no stable 64-bit release. OP is obviously talking about the first browser to release a proper, officially supported 64 bit version.

IE7 was 64 bit on XP x64 (pretty sure it wasn't 6 anyway...not sure)

7 and 8 had no Flash plugin so weren't usable

9 had the gimped Javascript engine so isn't usable

Firefoxes 64 bit crap is still nightly

So Opera does have the first usable 64 bit browser in Windows.

I might use IE10 again after how beautiful it was in Win8RP, but for now it's Opera.

Also the hardware accel uses D3D9 or 10 in Windows iirc...though it isn't on by default and the option is on the annoying poweruser config options so not really worth mentioning IMO.

but no stable 64-bit release. OP is obviously talking about the first browser to release a proper, officially supported 64 bit version.

The OS X version has been 32/64bit for around a year, defaulting to 64bit if the OS can run it (Normal OS behaviour)

I don't see why 64bit versions are so important, the only visible change to most users is the lack of "* 32" in the task manager (Speed claims are often wrong/down to user perception)

Also, Waterfox has had usable hardware acceleration before even mainstream *Firefox* (a major case where x64 provided a benefit that x32 lacked).

Waterfox has been usable (by anyone) almost from the get-go - I *still* have not seen an .EXE-based installer for x64 Chrome OR Opera.

Actually, the first x64 version of IE was IE 7 - it was included with XP Professional x64 Edition and all x64 versions of Windows Vista by default. (XP Professional x64 was the only XP that did NOT include IE6.)

Waterfox has been usable (by anyone) almost from the get-go - I *still* have not seen an .EXE-based installer for x64 Chrome OR Opera.

Elaborate on this point please?

IE7 was 64 bit on XP x64 (pretty sure it wasn't 6 anyway...not sure)

Ok, uhm, so you're proving the point that Opera isn't first?

9 had the gimped Javascript engine so isn't usable

the 64 bit version of ie has a totally gimped javascript engine. Opera 64 bit has parity with the 32 bit version, and even supports 32 bit plugins. Right now its the only "proper" major 64-bit browser on windows.

lolwut? Are you making stuff up to prove a point? It isn't "gimped", it's simply slower than the 32bit version, and even then, most users wouldn't even notice. I've seen users think IE9x64 is actually faster than 32bit and I laugh a little inside, but it just goes to show...

Also, IE9 supports both 32 and 64bit plugins just fine, a quick glance in the plugins menu shows this.

Was using 64bit since the IE9 betas with no issues, how exactly is it unstable and unsupported? Microsoft don't push "unsupported" software into their OS's... Do unsupported MS OS's get patched? Nope...