Mapping media keys to use shortcuts/hotkeys

Question

Hi all.

OK so, I'm a volunteer at a hospital radio station and we've recently switched to some software for recordings as opposed to using mini discs. Recording with the software can be started by pressing CTRL + ALT + R and S to stop recording while it runs quietly in the background and sits in the system tray on Windows XP. I'd like to make this a little simpler by making it so that when you press the play button on top of the keyboard, this in effect triggers the CTRL + ALT + R hotkeys and the stop button for the CTRL + ALT + S hotkeys to start and stop recording.

I have managed to achieve this using Aquarius Soft PC Keyboard Hotkey but it's something that at the moment is running as a demo and will need to be paid for at some point. Ideally, I'd like to find a free piece of software that can do the same thing as we're a charity so, could anyone recommend something?

I should point out that there is no way to simply change the hotkey settings within the recording software so it has to be the above combo. In a nut shell, I'd like to be able to map the play button to CTRL + ALT + R and the stop button to CTRL + ALT + S.

Thanks!

Andrew.

2 answers to this question