NeoGamr ad free for forseeable future

Well we tried going with a gaming advertiser and that didn't really work out. For May and June the income was less than what a Tier 2 subscription would cost :p

So there's currently no point in running ads there at all.

Some things to take from this, how quickly NeoGamr loads, is what you get on Neowin from a Tier 2 subscription. Tier 2 subscription does already cover NeoGamr, but you pay for Neowin primarily, so we're not screwing our Tier 2 subscribers here.

Traffic to the site is still pretty low, for the last two months it's about 500k unique impressions.

I will be looking into serving ads on the site, but only if it's worth it.

Additionally, those that use ad blockers, please keep that to yourself, it isn't nice to gloat ;) and here's some proof that we're willing to conceed that showing ads isn't always the smartest option.

NeoGamr, can be offset by Neowin for a bit, but as you might agree, we're not making a dime off running that site (and still paying newsposters there).

Edit: Forgot to link NeoGamr.

If it's not making any money then I agree, there's not a lot of point in putting the advertising up.

One day I'll remember to check out NeoGamr.

It surprises me that it isn't viable to put ads on it. I imagined it would get a lot more viewers than it has done. Have you guys considered running Google Ads for NeoGamr? - I don't mean putting Google Ads on the website but placing ads on Google for the site to get gamers to visit it.

• Like 3

It surprises me that it isn't viable to put ads on it. I imagined it would get a lot more viewers than it has done. Have you guys considered running Google Ads for NeoGamr? - I don't mean putting Google Ads on the website but placing ads on Google for the site to get gamers to visit it.

Thats a good idea, I'll look into it.

I'm not sure if this occurs regularly or not and it is just an observation. This bit of news for example, was published on Neowin but didn't show up at all on Neogamr. On the one hand I understand why it wasn't published on Neogamr (it'd be hidden just as much as news published in the categories were), but not publishing such news on Neogamr devalues it. Why not use it as an opportunity to drive traffic from one site to the other and publish it on Neogamr with the "preview" on Neowin linking straight to the Neogamr article?

I don't thing NeoGamr was advertised enough as it self. To me it suddenly appeared and that was it. The site itself does not need ads, itself is what needs to be advertised.

I'm not sure if this occurs regularly or not and it is just an observation. This bit of news for example, was published on Neowin but didn't show up at all on Neogamr. On the one hand I understand why it wasn't published on Neogamr (it'd be hidden just as much as news published in the categories were), but not publishing such news on Neogamr devalues it. Why not use it as an opportunity to drive traffic from one site to the other and publish it on Neogamr with the "preview" on Neowin linking straight to the Neogamr article?

Personally, while it is a good idea I hope they don't start doing this. It'll be even more news that I will no longer have access to, and it's already frustrating when I see an article appear in the Spy, click it to have a look and get presented with a big sign saying that the workplace has stopped me from viewing that page because it falls in to the "games" category by being on NeoGamr.

What I don't understand how you can be making so little with 500k unique impressions? Use Google-ads and you should be making a couple of thousand, easily.

Personally, while it is a good idea I hope they don't start doing this. It'll be even more news that I will no longer have access to, and it's already frustrating when I see an article appear in the Spy, click it to have a look and get presented with a big sign saying that the workplace has stopped me from viewing that page because it falls in to the "games" category by being on NeoGamr.

I can't view neogamr for the same reason

Why not use it as an opportunity to drive traffic from one site to the other and publish it on Neogamr with the "preview" on Neowin linking straight to the Neogamr article?

A feature like that hasn't been implemented in the backend (yet)

Odd, my work usually blocks any gaming related websites, but Neogamr still works for me at work. Never thought about the fact it should not work.

So is this a bad time to ask for a salary for doing the podcast? :laugh:

Just kidding of course.

Maybe try get an ad on somewhere like gamespot / steam ?

Or a sponsor ad on twit.tv ? (Don't know if thats even plausible / affordable)

I'm going to throw it out there and tell you that the name sucks. I know there is only one letter missing but it looks odd, and doesn't have a good ring to it, the pronunciation is tragic.. The tag line is stupid also 'where unprofessional journalism looks better' works well for Neowin, why not have it gaming related? ...maybe a slight rebrand might help?

Personally i would just let it be it's own site.

I know a site is all about it's content but giving the site it's own individuality might make it more attractive...

The tag line was updated today "NeoGamr - The home of PC gaming" The name was debated before we settled on it, and I pronounce it Neogamer anyway.

I'm talking to an advertiser at the moment as well.. whatever we do it will have to be worth it.

The problem lies here. Back then when neogamr attached to neowin, i check gaming news all the time. Now that people don't feel like clicking on any external link other than the navs provided by the site or news links. Well, just my thought...

Damn, work proxy blocks Neogamr :(

Yep, sooo true. Nothing we can do abt it!

Travesty! Neogamr shouldn't only be for PC gaming and console news posted on Neowin... I won't be visiting Neogamr any more if this is the case.

Can't believe you made so little on those ads that filled the sides of the page, I clicked them a few time accidentally lol while trying to scroll down.

I think that site should have a different look to Neowin's frontpage too, and have something 'gamey' incorporated into the Neowin logo.

What made you guys choose the name 'NeoGamr' btw?

I would've gone with NeoGamin personally, Neo-win, Neo-gamin.

Definitely fast over there, i have scrolling issues (guessing flash) on Neowin but on Gamr man that thing flies!

Definitely fast over there, i have scrolling issues (guessing flash) on Neowin but on Gamr man that thing flies!

/me takes a bow.

This is why I loved Ignition in the development phase, before we started adding any 3rd party code like ads, fb stuff etc. It's lightning fast when it's just our stuff :)