Tips on moving a 60" LED Samsung TV - Moving into a new House

I move in to my new house this weekend. I am highly concerned with the transportation of my 60" LED Samsung TV. I have read not to lay it flat because it can warp, crack, other bad things. I am only moving 10 miles, If I need to, I can leave it on the stand and drive really slow in holding it while my wife drives the her SUV? Thoughts? Tips?

If you have the SUV just stand it up and place it in the back long ways deep. TVs generally don't have moving parts (excepting for the ones that have fans, Plasma usually) so even if you lay it flat face down (with some soft cloth to not scratch) it should be fine. The LCD is the heaviest part of the TV so having it face down will lower the center of gravity and not allow it to flex in the middle. I always do them standing up on their feet though depending on the size.

Then again this is why I keep my boxes for some stuff. Mine is tucked in the attic area so when I gotta move just pack it back up :) Those things are shipped on trucks that way so they should be more than protected for your soft ride vehicle :)

I put my Bravia 60" flat into the bed of my pickup and brought it home from the store. It was well packaged though.

I'll advise you to wrap it good and lay it flat. Otherwise, get someone to hold it while it's at the front.

Absolutely do NOT lay it flat. Especially with that big of a screen, it is very easy to crack the screen if you go over a bump or pothole.

I just moved, and while I only had a 37" to move, I put mine in the back seat, and filled the rest of my backseat with my bedding. I draped a thick down feather comforter over the whole TV first, then I surrounded it by pillows, and packed in other stuff around it so it was held in place securely, but with pillows. Not the slightest issue at all in moving it. A 60" screen might be a little big to place in your backseat widthwise, but you could do the same in the back if you needed. Just put something soft and bouncy underneath it and all around it, again, bedding works very well. If necessary, have someone next to it to keep a hand on it, but if you pack it well you shouldn't need it.

Yeah I'd say sitting it up on the back seat and holding onto it would be the best bet, but maybe you should drive and your wife could hold it. You know... women drivers pffft :p Joking!

Yeah I'd say sitting it up on the back seat and holding onto it would be the best bet, but maybe you should drive and your wife could hold it. You know... women drivers pffft :p Joking!

I consider this a completely valid concern, haha.

Problem comes in if it's high enough to fit ontop of the seat in the back of the car. My friend did that and seat belted it there too. LOL A 60" might be too high though depending.

I put my Bravia 60" flat into the bed of my pickup and brought it home from the store. It was well packaged though.

I'll advise you to wrap it good and lay it flat. Otherwise, get someone to hold it while it's at the front.

no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never, EVER, lay a TV flat, its built to take the stresses vertically, if you lay it horizontally the middle of the panel will flex and crack.

Hold a flexible material horizontally and move your hands up and down and see what happens.

Standing up if i had the chance to transport one again, I transported my 61" plasma flat facing up via pickup (no stand),

Lesson learned there.

You should keep the boxes. I have for my 37" LG which I just moved. This has been the third move it's had, still in "like new" condition :D

You can lay a TV flat as long as it's not for very long periods or distances.

and besides that, for LCD's and LED's it doesn't matter very much anyway. the do not lay flat rules is for plasmas, or rather it was, since they used to be EXTREMELY heavy, they have glass front plate sand the bokxes only had support on the side edges, so on long transports, it would fall down in the middle and potentially break the glass or break the seals that holds the gas in between the backplate and glass plate. On modern lightweight LED's and even Plasma's it's no concern unless you're driving for hours.

but if you can fit it in the back seat (a 60 inch in the back seat, if you can you have some majorly huge cars over there), then that's good as well. you probably don't even need to hold it, just lean it back as long as you don't do any emergency brakes... she was driving you said... yeah you better hold onto it... ;)

Lesson learned there.

You should keep the boxes. I have for my 37" LG which I just moved. This has been the third move it's had, still in "like new" condition :D

Not always practical to keep boxes. We have plenty of room but no one wants huge boxes piled up full of packing foam.

----

I have to echo what others have said: do not lay it down flat! My advice would be stand it up and hold it while someone else drives...slowly. Even if you have to take a different route to avoid speed bumps/pot holes/ etc.

Better to be cautious than without your TV because you rushed.

Take it off the stand and if you have it, put it back in the box in came in. I kept my TV box and all the packaging inside for that very reason.

I have to agree with getting a moving company. I faced the same issue as you and I went the moving company route just for the fact of if its damaged you have someone to blame. If you really have to bring it yourself rent a small truck and load it in the back and cover on the bottom and top well with someone in the back holding it or strap it.

• 2 months later...

Not always practical to keep boxes. We have plenty of room but no one wants huge boxes piled up full of packing foam.

I just shove them in the loft out of the way, or even at a friends house when I didn't have a loft / access wasn't big enough. Also, if you have a modern stylish bed, maybe under there? There's loads of places :p

OP: Did you get it moved? Laying down or standing up? Did it yourself?

If not, you could try visiting an electrical store to see if they have any boxes they don't want?