New Laptop

Hey guys,

It looks like my position is going to require that I am away a lot more often, that being said I'm now looking into purchasing a laptop that I can take on-the-go with me.

Just seems a lot easier then lugging around my PS3....

I've not purchased or been a gammer on a PC/Mac for a long time, honestly I haven't even kept up with laptop/desktop hardware specs in so long.... Just because I've been so content with my mac and PS3... So please take it easy on me if I have no clue what some of this new stuff is.

*So, what would be a decent GPU to look for right now in the mobile/laptop market?

*Would I notice a HUGE difference between the i5 or i7 series... I feel like I've read comments on here before stating that the difference is marginal (as the potential has not been met??)

*As for the rest of the components I'm on-par with what I need to know and what I'm looking for...

My budget for the moment is 1,600... and I'd like for this to be a Windows based machine..

I was starting to look at the envy, sony z series... but the AMD graphics version does not seem available anymore only the intel, and the alienware series laptop.. Maybe none of those are relevant these days.. IDK

So any recommendations fellow neowin members??

Okay, I'm stuck between either the Alienware M14x or Asus G74sx and lastly a custom built HP DV6t with the following options:

Nvidia GT650M

3rd gen i7-3610QM

and either 12GB w/ 750 Hybrid drive or the 8GB with 160GB SSD.. Not sure why the limitation on mem for the SSD

Hello,

I'm not especially familiar with any of the computers, however, I have noticed quite a few people people with Hewlett-Packard DV6 series computers having problems with their units overheating. For this reason, I would suggest looking at the other two.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have an Asus G74SX-A1 and I couldn't be more happy with it peformance wise. I really hate how bulky it is though, it's freaking huge. A friend of mine has an Alienware M17x, and while it's big, it's not nearly as bulky. Also, the screen on the Alienware seems to be a lot better. The other problem I've had with my Asus is that the Bluray drive doesn't want to work more than 50% of the time. It doesn't matter if it's a bluray disc, a DVD, or a CD. I just updated the BIOS to the latest version and it seems to be better, but I haven't tested it enough to say it's fixed. I would rather have the Alienware M17x, but like you, I was constricted by my budget and the new Asus G75 looks like it's the best bang for your buck right now, so that would be my recommendation.