Photo

Does anyone else not care about Microsoft surface tablet?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#31 vetsanctified

sanctified

A promise to myself: to be harder, to not care, to be cool.

• Phone: ..

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:06

this was my reaction to surface..we now know why ms has been willing to alienate its main customer base....pretty pathetic...we are witnessing the end of windows as the dominant platform...they won't survive this sadly..

Sorry but that's naive.

#32 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:08

You can, at least on the iPad, but that's beside the point.

I understand your point but I think you're looking at tablets from the wrong angle. Instead of comparing a set of apps and characteristics between tablets and pcs you need to understand tablets are not pcs. That means that, as you said, pcs can do a lot of things tablets cant, but that's because tablets shouldnt. Like wise tablets can do things pcs cant, mainly because their versatility.

I get what you're saying but I don't think I am looking at tablets from the wrong angle. They are mostly consumption devices and they aren't good for producing work. I've used one for a year and nothing I do can be easily translated in to an iPad. I don't work in a school with so little room that a notebook won't fit on a desk. I'm not a writer and my business needs powerful notebooks which is what everyone takes to meetings for writing notes on. No one takes a tablet. But this is just my life I'm not saying it's right and everyone should do things this way I'm just saying that for me I'm over the tablet fad and I'm ready to get down to real work on a real computer.

For that reason I won't be buying a surface tablet or buying a new iPad. I will however be buying an Ultrabook.

#33 fenderMarky

fenderMarky

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:11

Tablets are for 99% a stupid thing because 99% of people buy it for no reason.

#34 vetsanctified

sanctified

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:13

I'm over the tablet fad and I'm ready to get down to real work on a real computer.

So the work i just listed is not real? :huh:

#35 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:15

So the work i just listed is not real? :huh:

You must have missed the part where I said I'm not a writer and I don't work in a 3rd world countries school system I guess.

#36 vetsanctified

sanctified

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:17

You must have missed the part where I said I'm not a writer and I don't work in a 3rd world countries school system I guess.

I didn't, just found that statement condescending.

#37 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:18

I didn't, just found that statement condescending.

I don't know why you would. I wasn't saying being a writer or working in a school isn't real work. What I'm saying is, the work I do is best done on a desktop/notebook and not on a tablet. I can't do real work (my work) on a tablet.

#38 rhianntp

rhianntp

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:21

Sorry but that's naive.

remember that when in 2 years ms is scrambling to bring win 9 to market touting its classic look and feel ;-)

#39 rhianntp

rhianntp

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:22

tablets are at best a companion device...

#40 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:23

tablets are at best a companion device...

This is how I feel.

#41 vetsanctified

sanctified

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:24

I don't know why you would. I wasn't saying being a writer or working in a school isn't real work. What I'm saying is, the work I do is best done on a desktop/notebook and not on a tablet. I can't do real work (my work) on a tablet.

Fair enough. I misunderstood.

remember that when in 2 years ms is scrambling to bring win 9 to market touting its classic look and feel ;-)

How could they if they, in your words, are not going to survive Windows 8?

#42 rhianntp

rhianntp

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:25

that's how the overwhelming majority consumers feel as well....stunning that ms doesn't know it

#43 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:28

Well, because - comparing with surface pro... 1. Most other tablets have ****ty build quality. 2. Most are underpowered (even iPad considering this one has a ivy bridge processor) 3. Most of the keypads available are not 3mm thin and are bulky. 4. Most do not have USB ports. The pro version has USB 3. This is a big advantage. 5. This has a full fledged Windows 8 pro OS loaded. Can do almost anything that can be dne on a desktop. 6. Working would be a lot easier considering the keypad. Typing on touch screen is horrible compared to a keyboard.

1. Agee but we haven't seen the build quality of the Surface yet - remember the 360 and those wonderful red rings.
2. Again we haven't seen it in action but I hope it has some grunt :)
3. But there are some good keyboards out there.
4. Agree
5. Yes but would you really want to give up a desktop for a small 10" screen
6. Agree

This isn't going to replace a notebook or ultra book easily for serious work. How are you going to use on your lap with that keyboard which by the look of it needs a flat surface.

While it will be a nice machine I suspect it will be a niche product.

#44 Vice

Vice

Bye!

that's how the overwhelming majority consumers feel as well....stunning that ms doesn't know it

I think even if Windows 8 is a failure it wont kill Microsoft. It's not as if they are buying 10 billion dollars worth of optical discs in anticipation of windows 8 being a blockbuster. They will have more than enough cash to push out Windows 9. And again this is just under the circumstance Windows 8 is a failure. I personally hate it but I've hated things before that went on to be blockbusters.

Something else to think about is Microsoft is bigger than just Windows they have their toes in a lot of different areas their products span multiple categories including gaming with the XBOX their huge cloud infrastructure that competes with EC2 and Skype among many others. One blow on the desktop wouldn't kill them.

#45 vetsanctified

sanctified

I'm just saying that it's naive to think that if Windows 8 fails it will drive the company to the ground. They have survived worst disasters (Windows 98(Non-SE), Windows ME, the whole thing with the DoJ) and in times where they weren't as strong as they are now.

I tend to agree that Windows 8 will be problematic and find strong opposition, but I dont think it will be Microsoft's demise.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!