How Apple Brainwashes Its Store Employees

apple retail stores employees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#16 Kyang

Kyang

• 1,181 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:52

Another conspiracy theory: They chose that particular image to project the impression that Asians are more like brainwashed zealots than anyone else and/or are more susceptible to this sort of indoctrination.

Or maybe the editors thought that they looked more alike, and better promoted the "brainwashed zealot" concept. :/ .

#17 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,530 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:56

For a Verizon store employee to earn anywhere near double, they must be at the top of their page scale, be receiving maximum bonuses and have to sell a hell of a lot of products to get a high commission. You make it sound like a new employees just walk into a $60,000 a year job.

#18 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Another conspiracy theory: They chose that particular image to project the impression that Asians are more like brainwashed zealots than anyone else and/or are more susceptible to this sort of indoctrination.

Or maybe the editors thought that they looked more alike, and better promoted the "brainwashed zealot" concept. :/ .

some people are bred-to-the-bone haters... ignore them...

#19 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Training commences with what is known as a “warm welcome.”

As new employees enter the room, Apple managers and trainers give them a standing ovation.

The clapping often bewilders the trainees, at least at first, but when the applause goes on for several lengthy minutes they eventually join in.

Weird. Sounds like something a cult would do.

#20 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:57

Would you get fired from an Apple store if you told a customer that the Microsoft Surface was awesome?

Not sure, I've often been told to get things from a different store like bags or cases because they said to me "It's much cheaper over there, they're a rip off here"

#21 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:59

Shop floor staff making almost 60k a year? Come on. No way. If that's the case, I should give up designing for a living ;)

If you are not making more than $60k a year designing you are doing it wrong buddy or you are not charging properly. I made over $100k just designing websites when I was starting out. Granted, I was mostly working with agencies (contract work) and not a full time salary. Full time salary is ALWAYS a grind and a ripoff for designers (unless you are Creative Director/Art Director but you really can't have that title until you have worked/managed teams and have years of experience under your belt).

Hell, at the very beginning I was making sites for $2-$3k a site and I did about 2-3 a month and was still making far more than $60k a year.

#22 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,745 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:02

Weird. Sounds like something a cult would do.

While I agree that it's a strange ritual, it's actually more common than you think. I remember when I was first looking for a job, I came across several businesses that had the exact same clapping and chanting routine every morning. Of course I ended up avoiding working at those places in favor of something a bit more normal.

#23 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:03

tons of people i know would be (and are) happy with $30 k a year. The only people that aren't happy with that are people with super huge high expectations out of a temporary thing called life. Typically no matter how much money they end up making they are never "happy" and always complain that they are always broke.

People happy with that sort of wage are people that are still in school.

#24 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• 1,763 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:04

The standing ovation thing is extremely excessive, but the bit about telling employees that they are enriching people's lives is standard company fare. I worked at Walmart while I was in college, and they were all cheerful during the hiring process, and they told us over and over again that we were a family, and that we were doing something more than fetching stuff for people. We were really helping people save money so that they can live better lives...while trashing our own.

There is more role-playing at Core training, as it’s known, this time with pointers on the elaborate etiquette of interacting with customers. One rule: ask for permission before touching anyone’s iPhone.

“And we told trainees that the first thing they needed to do was acknowledge the problem, though don’t promise you can fix the problem,” said Shane Garcia, the one-time Chicago manager. “If you can, let them know that you have felt some of the emotions they are feeling. But you have to be careful because you don’t want to lie about that.”

They're brainwashed not to touch people's stuff without permission, told not to promise stuff that they don't know if they could do, and not to lie? Stop the freakin' presses.

Wow.. they make $30k a year. Talk about being abused.

I hope that's sarcasm. I tell you what, Apple is free to bring their 30k a year retail jobs to Destin, FL. Starting out, retail employees make 18-20k a year, and that's if they don't get laid off at the end of the tourist season.

And Verizon employees making twice as much? A quick Google search for, "Verizon store employee average," spits back 34k.
http://www.glassdoor...lary-E89_P2.htm

#25 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:06

tons of people i know would be (and are) happy with $30 k a year. The only people that aren't happy with that are people with super huge high expectations out of a temporary thing called life. Typically no matter how much money they end up making they are never "happy" and always complain that they are always broke.

I think the point here is that Apple is one of the richest companies in the world right now. The least they could do is pay their employees who serve their customers above average salary and not go with the lowest they can get. But that's just me I guess.

I don't know any ex-Apple employee (be it engineer or who works in support) that has good things to say about Apple. They are grateful that they had a chance to work with other great/smart folks there and learn but as far as their corporate practices, not a single good thing and I guess that's the reason they left. Just like article says, you are brainwashed to believe you are making a difference but after a few years you realize you are being destroyed and abused and they leave. The thing is that people have been lining up to get abused because media really didn't cover this much at all and one of the reasons IMO was because they were scared of Steve Jobs.

#26 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:09

While I agree that it's a strange ritual, it's actually more common than you think. I remember when I was first looking for a job, I came across several businesses that had the exact same clapping and chanting routine every morning. Of course I ended up avoiding working at those places in favor of something a bit more normal.

Yeah, I've honestly never seen this type of cult like routine and I've been working or been around other Fortune 500 companies.

#27 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:10

Original story unmodified by Boz: here

#28 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,480 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:11

Original story unmodified by Boz: here

What did I modify? Control your irrational outbursts

#29 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:14

What did I modify? Control your irrational outbursts

opps, sorry, you linked it already... modified by copy and pasting select parts.

#30 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,492 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:33

Shop floor staff making almost 60k a year? Come on. No way. If that's the case, I should give up designing for a living ;)

If retail staff bring in profits of hundreds of thousands per head, they should be compensated accordingly. Naivety of believing that you are doing a good thing would not pay bills, put roof over your head or food on a table.