RIM to split into 2 companies. Handset division to be sold?

The Sunday Times is reporting that RIM is planning to split its handset and messaging network into two separate companies, then sell off the ill-fated BlackBerry hardware business.

As part of the move, the newspaper suggeststhat RIM would keep its messaging and data networks?including BBM, BIS, and BES?in-house, and then license them out to third parties. That's a theory that's been floated before, but never come to fruition.

The news comes on the back of a strategic review carried out by RIM in conjunction with RBC and JP Morgan. Though The Sunday Times does not explicitly cite any sources in its report, it does suggest that Facebook or Amazon may both prove to be "potential buyers" of the hardware wing.

It's really the latest in a long line of attempts to fix the company's ailing fortunes.

http://gizmodo.com/5...andset-business

I hope RIM crashes and burns. They deserve to after unleashing something as horrific as BlackBerry 7 OS upon the general population. The company's president/CEO should be put on trial in The Hague for crimes against humanity.

• Like 2

I admittedly don't know much about the company, but it doesn't sound like that would work very well. I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hope RIM crashes and burns. They deserve to after unleashing something as horrific as BlackBerry 7 OS upon the general population. The company's president/CEO should be put on trial in The Hague for crimes against humanity.

What about their employees? Its not their fault the company made bad choices.

so if they sell off their handset business...then whoever buys it probably wont make more handsets. that means in the near future there will be no need for BBM, BES, etc... so the other half of the company tanks as well. :iiam:

They're collaborators and should be put on trial as well. I'll be more than happy to hop on a train, bring my BlackBerry Torch 9860 with me to court and testify against them. If Canada refuses to hand them over we should declare war and strike against their cities until they comply.

As you can tell I feel very strongly about this. :p

Presumably at least some of them are responsible for making those bad choices ;)

They're collaborators and should be put on trial as well. I'll be more than happy to hop on a train, bring my BlackBerry Torch 9860 with me and testify against them.

That seems slightly extreme :laugh:

Blackberry 10 looks really nice but apparently people want less competition. I guess only Google and Apple should be allowed to exist in most people's minds.

It's sad how tech people are supposed to be more open minded and enthusiastic about trying out different tech but most have become sheep just like the general population where they say crap like this.

Blackberry 10 looks really nice

You can make pretty much everything look nice in a promotional video.

It's sad how tech people are supposed to be more open minded and enthusiastic about trying out different tech but most have become sheep just like the general population where they say crap like this.

It's sad you lack a sense of humor. It's even sadder you're mindlessly repeating the whole "sheep" thing.

FYI, the whole reason I got a BlackBerry was to try something different and give their product a fair try. The experience has been a disaster so far. Obviously I'm hoping for the company's sake that BlackBerry 10 OS will be a night and day difference from the current situation as competition is always good. On a personal note I won't be buying a RIM product until they've proven they know how to build a quality product again, currently that is not the case.

I'm a blackberry user and i love my phone and the new Blackberry 10 looks even better and i do hope it will say the light of day.

Now regardless, you all have to remember that with less companies making phones the higher the prices will be.

And of course there are around 15,000 people working for RIM, that's 15,000 people that will be unemployed.

I don't get why people bring up unemployment numbers when a company is in dire straights. Are we expected to give them a crutch because they failed and we're in a bad state of employment? No.. It's capitalism.

Blackberry 10 looks really nice...

I thought so too.

I'm not sure that this would be the best move for RIM because selling off the hardware side of the company will inevitably affect the messaging network side in a negative way. They do seem tainted with obsolescence (unfortunately?).

I don't get why people bring up unemployment numbers when a company is in dire straights. Are we expected to give them a crutch because they failed and we're in a bad state of employment? No.. It's capitalism.

The reason i brought it is because some people here (and not only here) want the company the fail just because. The product RIM has are not as bad as people think but for some reason people just hate RIM. It's exactly like the Apple groupies, they will love Apple no matter what, same with those people, they will hate RIM not matter what.

So wishing for the company to fail just because is wrong in many levels but one of them is 15,000 people loosing their jobs.

RIM have been discussing with a major network carrier about them selling their hardware division off to them, and producing Enterprise devices to fit in with the long term goals of this global carrier for about 2 years. Finally looks like it might just happen. Will be interesting to see if it is the original carrier that I know put a offer on the table.

The product RIM has are not as bad as people think [...]

Their product is bad and far behind iOS, Android and Windows Phone. It has absolutely nothing to do with fanboyism, it's just an empirical observation.

- BlackBerry 7 OS isn't optimized for toch input at all.

- To restart the device you need to pull the battery and reinsert it. That's officially what RIM tells you to do.

- There's no obvious way to force quit an app if it crashes.

- The device becomes completely unresponsive when updating and installing apps. You'll have to wait until it's done before using it again.

- To update existing apps you have to restart the device. It takes for ever and is a serious hit on the battery.

- RIM's Facebook app continues putting out notifications even though I told it not to in the options screen.

- The auto-correct feature gives you hardly any correct options. It's at a loss quickly.

- The touch screen becomes unresponsive fairly quickly and extremely sensitive to moist.

- The browser is extremely slow compared to other operating systems.

- The App World offerings are lacking and most apps very expensive.

- A serious lack of frequent OS updates.

- The Options screen is a mess of way too many options.

- In general frequent crashes, slow-downs or unexpected behavior of the OS and its apps.

- BlackBerry Desktop software for Mac is a disaster.

You can make pretty much everything look nice in a promotional video.

It's sad you lack a sense of humor. It's even sadder you're mindlessly repeating the whole "sheep" thing.

FYI, the whole reason I got a BlackBerry was to try something different and give their product a fair try. The experience has been a disaster so far. Obviously I'm hoping for the company's sake that BlackBerry 10 OS will be a night and day difference from the current situation as competition is always good. On a personal note I won't be buying a RIM product until they've proven they know how to build a quality product again, currently that is not the case.

It wasn't funny or original so whatever. Maybe you should have done some more research before buying as it's been pretty obvious for a while that the current OS is not very good.

If they didn't recognize that and weren't trying to fix it then they should fail but that not the case and they are trying to fix it. They're creating some great software that people should at least give a chance.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/19/blackberry-10-hands-on-video/

It wasn't funny or original so whatever. Maybe you should have done some more research before buying as it's been pretty obvious for a while that the current OS is not very good.

You not finding it funny is your problem really. Anyway, I've done my research and decided to give things a try for myself.

If they didn't recognize that and weren't trying to fix it then they should fail but that not the case and they are trying to fix it. They're creating some great software that people should at least give a chance.

It wasn't until people started massively abandoning the company they started thinking about doing something different. It's not a very smart tactic scaring people away with ****ty products only to lure them back later. And like I said, I'm willing to give the company a chance in the future if they've proven themselves with BlackBerry 10 OS. I won't play for beta tester like early buyers of their PlayBook.

It wasn't until people started massively abandoning the company they started thinking about doing something different. It's not a very smart tactic scaring people away with ****ty products only to lure them back later. And like I said, I'm willing to give the company a chance in the future if they've proven themselves with BlackBerry 10 OS. I won't play for beta tester like early buyers of their PlayBook.

Like Apple in the 90's or the original iphone that was $600 to beta test while the app store was being built?

Like Apple in the 90's or the original iphone that was $600 to beta test while the app store was being built?

Apple's classic Mac OS around 1998-early 2001 started to compare, yeah. The iPhone didn't go downhill, wasn't of poor quality and it only got better. It was also arguably a one of a kind device at the time. Apple also didn't have any previous experience in the phone market: they started from scratch, unlike RIM. It also wasn't Apple's only product, while RIM revolves around making phones.