Top Anti-Google Blogger Florian Mueller (FOSS Patents) Paid by Oracle

Groklaw accuses Mueller of quid pro quo -- attacks on Google for a lucrative consulting deal

Some of you may be familiar with the close coverage of the case from Florian M?ller (Anglicized as Mueller), the FOSS Patents "legal expert" who has closely followed many of the lawsuits against Android operating system maker Google Inc. (GOOG).

I. Google's Biggest "Hater"

The former critic of software patents has played the curious role of born-again software patent evangelist, arguing that not all software patents are bad. His frequent exclusive court documents and quotes allowed him to enjoy a meteoric rise in the world of journalism and blogging. Over the last couple years he has cited by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNET, DailyTech, and virtually other major tech publication under the sun.

If there was one constant in his commentary, it was that at nearly every step of the way, this proported independent journalist looked to portray Google as the big bad patent infringer. Mr. M?ller's claims regarding the recent Oracle Corp. (ORCL) Java lawsuit against Google were parrotted by many in the media, but were blasted by some veterans including Ed Burnette [source], a ZDNet blogger, and ArsTechnica's Ryan Paul [source].

Pass_The_Cash.jpg

FOSS Patents's M?ller already admits to now being paid by Oracle.

Groklaw

accuses the blogger of cultivating a long-time relationship with the company, agree to write anti-Google pieces in exchange for a future consulting gig.

To borrow the memo [PDF] from Microsoft's James Plamondon printed by Groklaw following the admission:

Analysts: Analysts are people who are paid to take a stand, while always trying to appear to be disinterested observers (since the appearance of independence maximizes the price they can charge for selling out). Treat them as you would treat nuclear weapons ? as an important part of your arsenal, which you want to keep out of the hands of the enemy. Bribe Hire them to produce "studies" that "prove" that your technology is superior to the enemy's, and that it is gaining momentum faster.

Mr. M?ller cheered bans on Android tablets writing, "I'd rather live in a world in which some wireless devices get banned from time time than in a dictatorship with a weak rule of law."

http://www.dailytech.com/Top+AntiAndroid+Blogger+Florian+Mueller+is+Being+Paid+by+Oracle/article24633.htm

• Like 2

I guess as someone has already stated, what's so surprising about these revelations! I can just imagine that this sort of thing goes on all the time.

I guess as someone has already stated, what's so surprising about these revelations! I can just imagine that this sort of thing goes on all the time.

Even though you're not surprised, it's still wrong. Journalists are supposed to be fair and unbiased towards any party.

It's been known for a while that Mueller has been taking *Consultancy Fees* from companies like Oracle and Microsoft to smear Google and create FUD about Android/Linux/FOSS patents. It's no surprise then that his rhetoric is anti-Google.

There's one good thing about all this though. After his completely wrong predictions about the Oracle case, no one in their right mind will pay attention to this propaganda agent again :laugh:

I wish i was paid money for that :(

Why? You might be making quick money a couple of times tops, then the truth comes out and nobody will take you seriously ever again. That might present you with a bit of a problem being a writer.

Why? You might be making quick money a couple of times tops, then the truth comes out and nobody will take you seriously ever again. That might present you with a bit of a problem being a writer.

Exactly. Muller sold his integrity to the highest bidder. Who's going to believe anything he has to say any more?