Recommend a good 7" Android Tablet

Hi,

Just wanted to throw this out there. I need to get a 7" tablet in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering for the money (?100) what would be the best one to buy? I want one that is going to perform well and not be all laggy, I've seen budget ones perform woefully and I don't want that!

Cheers!

Novo 7 Elf. You can get one for less than ?100 now (one was even ?76.99) if you order from China/Hong Kong ebay sellers. I prefer UK sellers myself, that way if there are any defects or you aren't happy it's cheap to return.

I have one myself. It's a great little tablet. It has ICS (Android 4.0) OOTB, 1.2 ghz ARM processor, 400ghz mali GPU (the same in the galaxy tab), 1024 x 600 HD resolution screen (much better than the other cheap tablets), and 1GB DDR3 memory.

It's pretty snappy. Obviously it's not on the same level as the more expensive dual core higher screen res devices, but it's not bad at all. Google's Nexus will be better of course. You might want to wait for that if you want the best, although it will be more expensive than ?100.

Do a search on youtube to see the tablet in action.

Update: After searching, there appears to be a successor. Elf 2, which has a dual core CPU.

Novo 7 Elf. You can get one for less than ?100 now (one was even ?76.99) if you order from China/Hong Kong ebay sellers. I prefer UK sellers myself, that way if there are any defects or you aren't happy it's cheap to return.

I have one myself. It's a great little tablet. It has ICS (Android 4.0) OOTB, 1.2 ghz ARM processor, 400ghz mali GPU (the same in the galaxy tab), 1024 x 600 HD resolution screen (much better than the other cheap tablets), and 1GB DDR3 memory.

It's pretty snappy. Obviously it's not on the same level as the more expensive dual core higher screen res devices, but it's not bad at all. Google's Nexus will be better of course. You might want to wait for that if you want the best, although it will be more expensive than ?100.

Do a search on youtube to see the tablet in action.

I wouldn't recommend that. I've been using one since 2 Months and the performance is absolutely horrible especially in the stock browser even with custom ROMs like Elvish0.4. The CPU doesn't even run at 1.2Ghz but rather at 1008Mhz by default & overclocking that results in choppy performance. The GPU delivers poor performance in most 3D Apps/Games and a lot of Apps are incompatible with this Tablet though one can hack the build.prop file but in the end it doesn't meet the expectations of a 7" Tablet.

I wouldn't recommend that. I've been using one since 2 Months and the performance is absolutely horrible especially in the stock browser even with custom ROMs like Elvish0.4. The CPU doesn't even run at 1.2Ghz but rather at 1008Mhz by default & overclocking that results in choppy performance. The GPU delivers poor performance in most 3D Apps/Games and a lot of Apps are incompatible with this Tablet though one can hack the build.prop file but in the end it doesn't meet the expectations of a 7" Tablet.

Sorry to hear that. Mine seems pretty good. The Elf II's dual core processor might solve any choppy issues.

http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo7-elf-ii-7-inch-dual-core-1-5ghz-android-tablet.html

Sorry to hear that. Mine seems pretty good. The Elf II's dual core processor might solve any choppy issues.

Perhaps but the major downside is the availability of official updates, Ainol is pretty irregular at times with their upgrades and with Jelly Bean just around the corner I doubt that such cheap tablets would ever be upgraded. The upcoming Nexus Tablet would be a better alternative imho.

Perhaps but the major downside is the availability of official updates, Ainol is pretty irregular at times with their upgrades and with Jelly Bean just around the corner I doubt that such cheap tablets would ever be upgraded. The upcoming Nexus Tablet would be a better alternative imho.

I agree. The Nexus is a better choice. I don't know its pricing though. The ELF/II is the best sub ?100 7" tablet I've seen so far though. It's not perfect, but you can't expect an iPad quality device for less than ?100 ;)

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch and I love it.

i just bought one a few weeks ago, it's a great little tablet, just the right size IMO

I don't think there is any doubt anymore. Nexus 7 is top Android tablet now (in 7" range). Reviews are overwhelmingly positive and you can get it for $199.

Google's VP of Product I think already mentioned that they have already sold a ton of them and it's going great.