Man arrested for throwing french fries at stepdaughter

LOWELL (CBS) ? A Lowell man is free following his arrest on charges he threw hot French fries at his young stepdaughter.

As a condition of his release, 26-year-old James Hackett must stay away from the girl.

Police say Hackett and his wife began arguing after leaving a McDonald?s. When his stepdaughter chimed in, Hackett allegedly threw the fries in her face.

She was not seriously hurt.

Hackett, who will be back in court in August, pleaded not guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon: French fries.

source

French fries? This sounds like the dumbest use of police & prosecutorial descretion I've seenin a while. Jeezzzz.... If I were arrested for every food fight I've been in....

Maybe he was just messing around. Or maybe he was using those fries as dangerous weapons, who knows.

I'm just waiting for the lawsuit now! After all McDonald's got sued over hot coffee...

I just knew someone was going to have to say it.

I'm surprised it wasn't Warwagon! :D

All the people saying this is stupid.. you don't know the situation.. Chances are in addition to throwing the food at her, there was probably a yelling match..

Also, assault is assault. This isn't a bunch of 6 year old's throwing food at each other in jest.. This is an adult throwing something at a child in Anger, and I for one am GLAD he was arrested.. Maybe if people took more seriously the "small" stuff, we wouldn't have so many cases where a child gets beat or something, and people talking about all the signs they ignored but figured it was nothing..

All the people saying this is stupid.. you don't know the situation.. Chances are in addition to throwing the food at her, there was probably a yelling match..

Also, assault is assault. This isn't a bunch of 6 year old's throwing food at each other in jest.. This is an adult throwing something at a child in Anger, and I for one am GLAD he was arrested.. Maybe if people took more seriously the "small" stuff, we wouldn't have so many cases where a child gets beat or something, and people talking about all the signs they ignored but figured it was nothing..

So you're glad the justice system is wasting its time on insignificant bull**** like this instead of, ya know, dealing with real crimes and real problems? I guess stupidity isn't just exclusive to americans, It's in canadians as well.

So you're glad the justice system is wasting its time on insignificant bull**** like this instead of, ya know, dealing with real crimes and real problems? I guess stupidity isn't just exclusive to americans, It's in canadians as well.

Maybe you'd rather ignore it, till he actually starts beating the girl? I know people who have been beat by family members, the warning signs are there if you look..

Now I'm not saying he is, or has, or would ever do that. But I'm willing to bet the Police have reason to, which is why they arrested him, and why the condition of release is to stay away.

Assault is Assault. You are NOT allowed to do it, and I don't care if it's a french fry or a baseball bat.

And as I said, you and the article makes no mention of the situation around it.. Maybe he's known to the authorities, maybe he was making a huge scene when it happened. You don't know, I don't know, but I chose to believe that there are reasons beyond him throwing a french fry in a playful manner..

Law enforcement can't "win" either way. Some people will yell stupid and waste of money to prosecute this man. These same people will yell incompetence for not recognizing these "small" warning signs earlier when the child dies. Who called the police?

Maybe you'd rather ignore it, till he actually starts beating the girl? I know people who have been beat by family members, the warning signs are there if you look..

Now I'm not saying he is, or has, or would ever do that. But I'm willing to bet the Police have reason to, which is why they arrested him, and why the condition of release is to stay away.

Assault is Assault. You are NOT allowed to do it, and I don't care if it's a french fry or a baseball bat.

And as I said, you and the article makes no mention of the situation around it.. Maybe he's known to the authorities, maybe he was making a huge scene when it happened. You don't know, I don't know, but I chose to believe that there are reasons beyond him throwing a french fry in a playful manner..

Well said.

It may seem stupid from an outsiders perspective, but none of us know if this is the culmination of years of mental or physical abuse.

Sure if it is not, then I agree, seems extremely silly, but we really do not know what led to this decision, only that this decision was made. Perhaps there is a history, and the police have never been able to make anything stick so to speak.

My point is, who really knows the back story, and I would hope this is in fact deserved.