Reuters: RIM Considering To Adopt WP8 For Blackberry Devices

and having wild success.. definitely the worst thing they can do /s.. Wait.. the smartest thing is to go with Windows Phone that is literally bankrupting Nokia.. Smart move! /s

symbian is bankrupting Nokia, WP8 is saving it.

but hey, the android glasses works wonders when looking at any other device and seeing doom and gloom.

• Like 2

i think RIM waiting to see how people will react on windows phone 8 and will Nokia begin selling windows phone massively to consumers worldwide if Nokia&Microsoft succeed in that point im sure they will switch

i know one thing Nokia and RIM are huge Names worldwide joining Microsoft force will make wp8 more popular than anything else

Unfortunately it doesn't anymore. It was meant too, but they dropped it in favour of just 16:9 and 15:9 resolutions, presumably to make life easier for developers.

Wasn't aware of this (recent?) change.

They still can develop some BB-specific stuff for the Windows Phone (not just an app) and stick those on their full-touchscreen devices. This way they will have some major differentiation. They don't have to go all-in on Windows Phone (even though that would be what Microsoft wants), release a single, competitive WP8 Phone and see how it goes. But then again, a single phone won't cut it after spending so many resources on making the said phone...

Wasn't aware of this (recent?) change.

They still can develop some BB-specific stuff for the Windows Phone (not just an app) and stick those on their full-touchscreen devices. This way they will have some major differentiation. They don't have to go all-in on Windows Phone (even though that would be what Microsoft wants), release a single, competitive WP8 Phone and see how it goes. But then again, a single phone won't cut it after spending so many resources on making the said phone...

It seems they're spending so much just making one single BB10 phone though. Unless they have a few coming together but i've only ever heard them talk about one BB10 phone.

Honestly, Nokia is doing a good job of showing how an OEM can make it's mark on WP without having to skin the UI. Custom and exclusive apps are a selling point, just like exclusive apps and services are a selling point on other things out there. Just let MS do the bulk of the back-end work while you focus on the front-end user features/apps/services and hardware design.

If RIM want to destroy their company in the same way as Nokia, it's their loss.

symbian is bankrupting Nokia, WP8 is saving it.

Elop is bankrupting Nokia, without his "burning platform" speech they would be far better off financially right now not to mention they would've been able to offer a substantially different platform with Meego.

All that destroyed by one man. gg Elop.

Elop is bankrupting Nokia, without his "burning platform" speech they would be far better off financially right now not to mention they would've been able to offer a substantially different platform with Meego.

Meego was money down a bottomless pit. It cost too much to develop, took too long to develop and the phone it does come on finally was delayed, and also costs way more than other phones. Nokia wasn't alone with Meego either, I think it was a joint effort with Intel? I don't see Intel talking about Meego anymore either, even they don't want it now. It's about time people put Meego to rest, it was trully DOA. Maybe if they had gotten it out 2 years ago something could've happened, but yeah, it didn't. The same is the case with RIM and BB10, it should have been out already but it's not, it's costing them money to do and each day that passes they're just tossing cash down a hole.

If RIM want to destroy their company in the same way as Nokia, it's their loss.

like Nokia, they are a dying company on a dying platform, if they want to suvive they need to change.

and as a primarily enterprise solution, android makes zero sense for them as they would need to rewrite from the ground up for th necessary security and control, whereas WP8 is already there, a fully fledged enterpise platform.

meego was a black hole and a dream, and even the head developer admitted that it would be 2015 before they would be able to havea properly working stable bug less platform, and even then they'd be behind. as opposed to a fully working platform right now. also they be able to only make a few devices on meego as opposed to several on WP.

never mind that meego was never very good to start with and wasn't wanted by anyone but the hardcore finnish geek nokia fans.

I'm not sure that anything can save RIM at this point. They should really have fired all the executives and revamped their design force.

There's no reason why they should have lagged so far behind the competition for so long.

At this point, I think it's a little too late though.

No, what you said was Windows Phone and Symbian. MeeGo was yet another platform, Nokia's answer to iOS and Android. They released one device only to dump it for Windows Phone.

Ahh sorry, I thought MeeGo was still "Symbian".

As a BB user, I was really looking forward to Android compatibility and some of the newer features of BBOS10. I just got a new Bold with OS7 and am already loving how much smoother it runs, and how crisp and nice everything is. This is a sleek phone that, IMHO, already competes with the latest offerings from other companies. I hope they can pull themselves up before it's too late and move in the direction they've been heading, because it might be late to the game, but it's a valuable player.

Do you guys know what Blackberry Servers runs on?

Maybe its *nix or OSX Servers or google servers ... i dont know..

If you mean BES then it's basically a server app/service stack that runs on Windows Server last I checked. I don't know if it has a *nix version but maybe?

If you mean BES then it's basically a server app/service stack that runs on Windows Server last I checked. I don't know if it has a *nix version but maybe?

Your right... who BBM network is basically a well trusted infrastucture windows servers running proprietary BES middleware. What is valuable is the 'network' of BES server they have, all inter-connected all secure. So being Windows server aspired, moving towards Windows Phone is a is a logical thing. What MS was lacking is a good hardware maker.. they tied with nokia now after all Elop was from MS.... now if they can get RIM aboard, they have secured the business world. Thats quite a big part of the PC and mobile world.

ooh yeah and both Nokia and RIM is short of one thing... a good OS...

Lol. What an insanely huge mistake that would be. Just my opinion of course. If anything, Android would be a much better fit for Blackberry. Ultimately though, they need to stick to BB10 and quit ****ing around. If they spent half as much time actually working to save themselves as they did getting rid of people and shifting blame, they might actually have gotten themselves out of this mess.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I think you might be right. Android would allow them to put a BB skin as the UI with an Android backend.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I think you might be right. Android would allow them to put a BB skin as the UI with an Android backend.

Not only that.. but they would have access to hundreds of thousands of apps and the whole Android eco-system at no cost.

As much as I can see the points being made on the Enterprise side of things, I think Android is still a better fit. Just my opinion though. There is a lot of room for customization and the eco-system is so far ahead of WP's right now it's just not logical to go that route. At least not at this point in the game. Guess we'll see what happens. Either way, they really need to figure it out and fast.

Not only that.. but they would have access to hundreds of thousands of apps and the whole Android eco-system at no cost.

Except they wouldn't, because as an enterprise platform they would have to rewrite the entire security subsystem of android and it's apps since it's worthless as it is today, making them incompatible with not just the marketplace, but all the apps there as well.

Except they wouldn't, because as an enterprise platform they would have to rewrite the entire security subsystem of android and it's apps since it's worthless as it is today,

Yep..that's why US millitary is using it. Nice throwing in your own opinion about the security of Android in enterprise environment.. good thing you are a security expert.. oh wait :rolleyes:

And btw, they could have easily used and built their own on top of the Android stack. One wildly popular enterprise security platform for Android is 3LM http://www.3lm.com .The company itself is used by big players and has proven to be very reliable and was finally bought by Motorola (now Google) to offer as enterprise solution.

The point is.. RIM would have total freedom with Android, could build their own services and enterprise security platform on top of it and control it completely yet have the full compatibility with Android eco-system. That's what's great about Android. They would have total freedom.

I just don't see this happening, not after all the effort they're putting into overhauling their OS. Unless they're planning to be on 2 OS's at the same time like Nokia still ships Symbian devices.

I agree, but about them running 2 oses, it would fragment their all ready dwindling market share and be a bad idea imo. And I think its too dymanic a turn around for RIM to pull it off tbvh, Its RIM were talking about here, theyve rested on corp secure mail solutions and their laurels for too long.

I support all 3 platforms workwise and have to admit droid and iphones are a different league for users over the scraps that was once the mighty B.E.S & RIM handsets. the only RIM device I have now is my work Bold but next renewal we will be shifting away from RIM also, like I have done personally, Galaxy Note here with ICS from an old Pearl II.

their latest handsets just aint what they used to be either, i suspect they are cutting corners everywhere to increase profit margins