Reuters: RIM Considering To Adopt WP8 For Blackberry Devices

Yep..that's why US millitary is using it. Nice throwing in your own opinion about the security of Android in enterprise environment.. good thing you are a security expert.. oh wait :rolleyes:

And btw, they could have easily used and built their own on top of the Android stack. One wildly popular enterprise security platform for Android is 3LM http://www.3lm.com .The company itself is used by big players and has proven to be very reliable and was finally bought by Motorola (now Google) to offer as enterprise solution.

The point is.. RIM would have total freedom with Android, could build their own services and enterprise security platform on top of it and control it completely yet have the full compatibility with Android eco-system. That's what's great about Android. They would have total freedom.

I see you don't actually have any clue what enterprise means, not that I would expect it since it's not a field you work in, Also claiming the US military uses android is like claiming the US military's windows is the same as the one you run on your editing rigs.

that is in fact the same thing as what I'm talking about but with a slightly different wrapping.

And building a secure shell on top of an unsecure platform makes it fundamentally insecure.. for an enterprise solution they would need a full rewrite of the security subsystem. and when I say security, it's not just about hacking and security per se. but also about control, in the form of what the users are allowed to do with their devices, Effectively they need a full equivalent of AD and Policies. OR they could just use WP8 which uses the Win8 core, and has full support for AD and policies and all the other enterprise goodies built right in and connect directly with their enterprise network and computers.

Which one sounds the cheapest and easiest solution for both RIM and their clients you think ?

Not that it matters, you've got your android shades on anyway and can't see that any other mobile OS is at all usable even. no matter what.

Yep..that's why US millitary is using it. Nice throwing in your own opinion about the security of Android in enterprise environment.. good thing you are a security expert.. oh wait :rolleyes:

And btw, they could have easily used and built their own on top of the Android stack. One wildly popular enterprise security platform for Android is 3LM http://www.3lm.com .The company itself is used by big players and has proven to be very reliable and was finally bought by Motorola (now Google) to offer as enterprise solution.

The point is.. RIM would have total freedom with Android, could build their own services and enterprise security platform on top of it and control it completely yet have the full compatibility with Android eco-system. That's what's great about Android. They would have total freedom.

Actually the US military is doing exactly what HawkMan said with regards to making it usable. Yes, they're using Android. No, they're not using generic Android as comes from Motorola (or even AOSP). Because of its security problems (http://androidheadlines.com/2012/06/u-s-military-begins-testing-ultra-secure-version-of-android.html). RIM would have to do exactly the same thing to bring Android anywhere near the security level that BlackBerry is today, and in the process, it would mean no Google Play (or Marketplace, or whatever the hell it is these days). So no hundreds of thousands of apps.

Actually the US military is doing exactly what HawkMan said with regards to making it usable. Yes, they're using Android. No, they're not using generic Android as comes from Motorola (or even AOSP). Because of its security problems (http://androidheadli...of-android.html). RIM would have to do exactly the same thing to bring Android anywhere near the security level that BlackBerry is today, and in the process, it would mean no Google Play (or Marketplace, or whatever the hell it is these days). So no hundreds of thousands of apps.

Don't counter Boz with real facts, don't you know any better? I'd hate to think what would happen to him if you managed to break through his Android fanboy shield.

I see you don't actually have any clue what enterprise means, not that I would expect it since it's not a field you work in, Also claiming the US military uses android is like claiming the US military's windows is the same as the one you run on your editing rigs.

that is in fact the same thing as what I'm talking about but with a slightly different wrapping.

And building a secure shell on top of an unsecure platform makes it fundamentally insecure.. for an enterprise solution they would need a full rewrite of the security subsystem. and when I say security, it's not just about hacking and security per se. but also about control, in the form of what the users are allowed to do with their devices, Effectively they need a full equivalent of AD and Policies. OR they could just use WP8 which uses the Win8 core, and has full support for AD and policies and all the other enterprise goodies built right in and connect directly with their enterprise network and computers.

Which one sounds the cheapest and easiest solution for both RIM and their clients you think ?

Not that it matters, you've got your android shades on anyway and can't see that any other mobile OS is at all usable even. no matter what.

While I agree with a lot of what you said, I doubt that WP8 can be managed through AD. I presume the same limitations that apply to Windows RT will apply to WP8.

While I agree with a lot of what you said, I doubt that WP8 can be managed through AD. I presume the same limitations that apply to Windows RT will apply to WP8.

What the hell not? Why would MS create an enterprise phone/mobile device ecosystem that doesn't tie into AD?

They wouldn't. :rolleyes:

They haven't said specifics on the manageability of WP8 but many think it'll be a middle ground between EAS and full AD/GP. We'll have to wait and see what MS says.

What the hell not? Why would MS create an enterprise phone/mobile device ecosystem that doesn't tie into AD?

They wouldn't. :rolleyes:

They've done it with ARM-based tablets so why not phones? Have you seen anything that suggests that WP8 can be managed through AD? Enterprise security for Microsoft's phones has traditionally been managed through Exchange and I suspect they'll continue down that route.

They haven't said specifics on the manageability of WP8 but many think it'll be a middle ground between EAS and full AD/GP. We'll have to wait and see what MS says.

Yes, we'll see what they say but I wouldn't expect too much because of the Windows RT situation.

Yes, we'll see what they say but I wouldn't expect too much because of the Windows RT situation.

The WindowsRT situation is a way to differentiate x86 from ARM, and a money grab from big business that will spend 2x as much on a tablet, simply because it'll integrate into their existing infrastructure.

As Windows Phone 8 doesn't have those limitations, I'd be shocked if it doesn't have some sort of AD integration. Likewise, once businesses have their tablets, expect WindowsRT 9 to have AD integration too.

Lol. What an insanely huge mistake that would be. Just my opinion of course. If anything, Android would be a much better fit for Blackberry. Ultimately though, they need to stick to BB10 and quit ****ing around. If they spent half as much time actually working to save themselves as they did getting rid of people and shifting blame, they might actually have gotten themselves out of this mess.

Android would be no different than WP7/WP8.

In the Android market they would be one of the many struggling to have their device noticed amongst a sea of cheap, middle tier and high end devices. With WP8 they would be on the edge of a hopeful competitor.

RIM's best chance for survival is to focus on providing enterprise tools and solutions for personal mobile devices that employees want to connect to work.

I love my WP7 device and will get a WP8 device; RIM/Blackberry has never been on a thought for me. If they can turn their focus to personal devices in the work place for a secure set of applications they could find a new niche. (Yes, GOOD is available and it kind of works.) Other than that, RIM is dead and I think MS would be making a huge mistake making a Nokia type deal with them. Should RIM go the route of an OEM and choose WP/Android, that's another story and their own decision.

If RIM want to destroy their company in the same way as Nokia, it's their loss.

RIM is destroying itself by not innovating and responding to the changing market quickly enough. Adopting Windows Phone can only improve things at this point.

I think it would be a wise move for either Google or Microsoft to buy RIM.

Google buys = All RIM's IP/patents belong to us! Gives Google more ammo against patent trolls.

Microsoft buys = Another bitch for us to bend over and flood with Windows Phone Goodness (Ballmer....Ahhhhhh)! Allows Microsoft to widen the presence of WP8 across more devices.

RIM is destroying itself by not innovating and responding to the changing market quickly enough. Adopting Windows Phone can only improve things at this point.

Adopting Windows Phone would be like putting a band-aid on a stab wound. Putting all their eggs in the WP basket has utterly doomed Nokia, and so far we've seen no real evidence that WP is likely to see an explosion in use any time soon. Consumers aren't buying it, and putting all your eggs in a basket that consumers are not buying is a very bad idea. Maybe a dual WP / Droid assult would do it, but just going with WP would be a terrible idea. The market doesn't lie, and the Market is generally saying No to Windows Phone.

Adopting Windows Phone would be like putting a band-aid on a stab wound. Putting all their eggs in the WP basket has utterly doomed Nokia,

Did you really expect things to change overnight? It's way too early to tell really.

and so far we've seen no real evidence that WP is likely to see an explosion in use any time soon. Consumers aren't buying it, and putting all your eggs in a basket that consumers are not buying is a very bad idea. Maybe a dual WP / Droid assult would do it, but just going with WP would be a terrible idea. The market doesn't lie, and the Market is generally saying No to Windows Phone.

I seriously question Nokia or RIM turning into one of many Android manufacturers will save them. It also could proof to be a lot more expensive having to maintain both OSs, money RIM doesn't have at this point.

With all due respect I've been hearing that excuse for 2 years. It's time to face facts, if it's not selling after 2 years it's unlikely that it ever will.

Adopting Windows Phone would be like putting a band-aid on a stab wound. Putting all their eggs in the WP basket has utterly doomed Nokia, and so far we've seen no real evidence that WP is likely to see an explosion in use any time soon. Consumers aren't buying it, and putting all your eggs in a basket that consumers are not buying is a very bad idea. Maybe a dual WP / Droid assult would do it, but just going with WP would be a terrible idea. The market doesn't lie, and the Market is generally saying No to Windows Phone.

Why would they need an explosion, this seems to be a constant idea that at least android fans have, that the only way nokia can survive is to be as big on WP as they where on symbian, Nokia will never be that big again, I doubt we'll ever see a company as big as nokia was in the market again, I expect Samsung to start shrinking again soon as well.

MS is all abotu the slow steady growth, similar tactic as the Xbox, first penetrate with first gen, then grow on second gen.

Why would they need an explosion, this seems to be a constant idea that at least android fans have, that the only way nokia can survive is to be as big on WP as they where on symbian, Nokia will never be that big again, I doubt we'll ever see a company as big as nokia was in the market again, I expect Samsung to start shrinking again soon as well.

MS is all abotu the slow steady growth, similar tactic as the Xbox, first penetrate with first gen, then grow on second gen.

They may not need an explosion, but if you compare the sales of WP to Blackberry, they'd actually be taking a reduction in sales. It doesn't take a genius to see that for a failing company to lose even more sales is a REALLY bad move. Nokia did EXACTLY the same thing and are now on the verge of bankruptcy, and it makes me question whether the WP cheerleaders on Neowin have a clue how business really works. Gaining about .3 of a % per quarter will not save RIM, which is about the rate WP is growing at this moment in time.

The problem with Android is its success. It's on so many devices of so many form factors that it would be extremely difficult for RIM to differentiate. A WP8 powered BlackBerry with BBM would absolutely murder the enterprise market, and do a cracking job in the consumer space.

Actually it's the opposite. RIM could differentiate in both software and hardware on Android, but with WP even the hardware is pretty much locked down to specific chipset makers like Qualcomm. Every WP device looks almost identical software wise and in hardware specs. It's a very homogeneous platform with little in the way of variety.

With all due respect I've been hearing that excuse for 2 years. It's time to face facts, if it's not selling after 2 years it's unlikely that it ever will.

Windows Phone wasn't officially introduced here until about a year ago and even then the only nice phone was the Nokia Lumia 800.

Ugh, it's not just because it's "Windows Phone" that people aren't buying it! The problem is not having decent enough phones (Nokia's Lumia 900 being the first attractive looking phone to me) and carriers not supporting WP7 in the first place! Hell, Verizon has what... the Trophy or Hero from HTC? Yeah... And they won't be touching WP until WP8 releases, to which I believe Samsung is rumored to jump in as well. (thank god)

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with WP getting more support, especially if they aim to release a WP8 phone, which between the added support from carriers and manufacturers should really help boost the sales, marketshare, and really allow Windows Phone to take off. :)

Right now though, I believe AT&T is the only one with the Lumia. If you're not familiar with US carriers, they're probably the worst of them all... :/

They may not need an explosion, but if you compare the sales of WP to Blackberry, they'd actually be taking a reduction in sales. It doesn't take a genius to see that for a failing company to lose even more sales is a REALLY bad move. Nokia did EXACTLY the same thing and are now on the verge of bankruptcy, and it makes me question whether the WP cheerleaders on Neowin have a clue how business really works. Gaining about .3 of a % per quarter will not save RIM, which is about the rate WP is growing at this moment in time.

You're forgetting that so far WP isn't targeting the enterprise at all, in fact no smartphones are, except RIM, and they're not doing very well. WP8 smartphones that actually target the enterprise market with far more support for their network ecosystem than any smartphone to date, combined with RIMS existing enterprise presence and reputation could and should increase their enterprise market share.

Little bit of information - every single WP8 will have a TPM. That's pretty handy for security.

Yeah, that's something Bitlocker needs to encrypt the whole device. A enterprises worst fear, other than being hacked has to be some employee losing their device with company data on it. I expect with bitlocker and the ability to remote wipe the phone if lost that they'll sleep better at night.