Google's Nexus 7 Tablet Is Already A Hit!

with drop box and other online storage spots storage should not be a real big deal since free wifi is just about everyplace

i plan on picking one up i passed on the kindel fire myself

you can always hook up your usb drive to the the nexus 7 with an adapter.

Android can do USB host

Having no SD support is a bit of a bummer, but it seems to be the way the tablet market is headed these days. Besides I only had an 8GB card in my Desire HD before I sold it and I never came close to filling that up so 16GB would be fine for my needs.

I had a 16GB iPad 1 until I sold it, and honestly I never came close to filling that up either.

i might pick up 2 so my neices will quit asking to play on my iPad whenever they come over

I'm actually hoping it does. The tablet market is so one-sided right now, that we as consumers really need some competition to fire up.

60%:40% is not really one sided. Maybe Apple wants everyone to think so but there's a ton of people buying Android tablets.

60%:40% is not really one sided. Maybe Apple wants everyone to think so but there's a ton of people buying Android tablets.

It's actually closer to 70%:30%

And for a tablet that has 3 versions to have that huge of a market share with hundreds of others out there, sounds pretty one-sided to me.

I know you'll go to Earth's end to discredit Apple, but this is simply common sense.

• Like 3

no SD???? that's a real killer for this then.

and having a usb dongle for storage hanging out is not a good idea.... it would fall out while im listening to music on it or something...

and I got a 16GB sd in my phone and I have 1.2GB free i got tons of yt vids on there i downloaded... mostly meme vids or cat vids. and about 10GB of music.

I don't see the big deal about the lack of an SD card slot. For most people 8 GB is plenty; add cloud storage and you're set.

For $199 the Nexus 7 is a very solid offering which will cause much grief to Amazon and might even eat into the iPad market share. I know I'd pick a Nexus 7 over the low-end iPad 2.

(That said I'm more in the market for a MS Surface personally.)

It's actually closer to 70%:30%

I know you'll go to Earth's end to discredit Apple, but this is simply common sense.

Um, no it's not.. iPad had 54% until last quarter when it got a bump back to 61%. So no, it's not 70%. If anything it will be closer to 50% now.

And common sense and statistics show that you will try to paint picture as much as you can towards Apple because you can't accept the fact that Android is killing iOS.

After Google's latest conference and showcase they have devastated Apple and showed they are so far ahead of Apple in pretty much everything it's not even funny. Apple stuff looks like toys that are half-baked now.

• Like 1

Pass on this, though I'm sure some firstcomers to tablets will go for it. (Though one would hope, not for the same reasons as the TouchPad.) The iPad will tide me over until maybe in the future with the Surface in play.

Um, no it's not.. iPad had 54% until last quarter when it got a bump back to 61%. So no, it's not 70%. If anything it will be closer to 50% now.

And common sense and statistics show that you will try to pain picture as much as you can towards Apple because you can't accept the fact that Android is killing iOS.

After Google's latest conference and showcase they have devastated Apple and showed they are so much ahead of Apple in pretty much everything it's not even funny. Apple stuff looks like toys that are half-baked.

Wrong again...

http://blogs.barrons...tablets-falter/

If you honestly think Android is killing iOS in the tablet market, then you are seriously delusional. There is plenty of proof out there that says otherwise. Sorry, but you are straight up wrong. You can be as hostile and as arrogant as you want, but your word means nothing compared to the facts.

Half-baked? I guess that's why Samsung loves to rip off the designs, right?

And nice job derailing this conversation. Can't say I'd expect anything less out of you though...

• Like 2

Regarding marketshare for tablets, I do vaguely recall some thread in BPN pointing out the ratio of iPads to other tablets based on browser agents. It was something large like 100-to-1 (excluding the Fire).

no SD???? that's a real killer for this then.

and having a usb dongle for storage hanging out is not a good idea.... it would fall out while im listening to music on it or something...

and I got a 16GB sd in my phone and I have 1.2GB free i got tons of yt vids on there i downloaded... mostly meme vids or cat vids. and about 10GB of music.

google music and others solves the problem of needing the music on your sdcard

It will sell given the specs at a great price (effectively $175, isn't it?) but I won't call it a hit (yet) based on OP. This is pure speculation.

On the other hand, I think the 7" screen size will mean it won't compete with the iPad.

I don't see the big deal about the lack of an SD card slot. For most people 8 GB is plenty; add cloud storage and you're set.

For $199 the Nexus 7 is a very solid offering which will cause much grief to Amazon and might even eat into the iPad market share. I know I'd pick a Nexus 7 over the low-end iPad 2.

(That said I'm more in the market for a MS Surface personally.)

Oh you should visit Windows Phone threads more often. Somehow lack of SD card storage meant 8/16GB was not enough for anyone(especially mainly Android users). :D

And common sense and statistics show that you will try to paint picture as much as you can towards Apple because you can't accept the fact that Android is killing iOS.

After Google's latest conference and showcase they have devastated Apple and showed they are so far ahead of Apple in pretty much everything it's not even funny. Apple stuff looks like toys that are half-baked now.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Android has been a major failure in tablets so far. Yes, it leads the phone market but it has no equivalent success in the (so far) "iPad market" ;)

I think we can all agree on one thing: More competition in the tablet market is a good thing. If nothing else it will force Apple to be more innovative again. See also: The stale disappointment that is iOS 6.

• Like 1

I think we can all agree on one thing: More competition in the tablet market is a good thing?. If nothing else it will force Apple to be more innovative again. See also: The stale disappointment that is iOS 6.

agreed ! the more competition the better

[Thread cleaned]

Perhaps we can do better without bickering about marketshare numbers in this thread. For the record, I can't find the thread I was referring to so we'll leave it at there.

google music and others solves the problem of needing the music on your sdcard

i dont always have connectivity... and when i work at grocery stores for my job they dont have public wifi and i get crappy reception in stores. i work retail data and im often at the stores for hours and i need my music to help me get thru the job quicker and make it so much more pleasant. i need a lot of music. also on long trips you don't always have coverage... so cloud music storage isnt very good at this time. not to mention limited BW as well. I have a 200MB plan.

I think we can all agree on one thing: More competition in the tablet market is a good thing?. If nothing else it will force Apple to be more innovative again. See also: The stale disappointment that is iOS 6.

All it really needs is user switching, then IMO it can be as stale as it wants. Then again, almost all tablets are still made with the single-user mentality in mind, which is a bit problematic for being a 'family device' you can share around.

Though with the Surface making its rounds soon, they'd be wise to speed up implementation of that camera unlocking patent they got a while back.

i dont always have connectivity... and when i work at grocery stores for my job they dont have public wifi and i get crappy reception in stores. i work retail data and im often at the stores for hours and i need my music to help me get thru the job quicker and make it so much more pleasant. i need a lot of music. also on long trips you don't always have coverage... so cloud music storage isnt very good at this time. not to mention limited BW as well. I have a 200MB plan.

why use your tablet for your music anyway then? wouldn't a smaller mp3 player with lots of space and much better battery life be better? (that's what i've always figured anyway, I like to have my mp3 player fit in my pocket, can't exactly do that with a tablet)

why use your tablet for your music anyway then? wouldn't a smaller mp3 player with lots of space and much better battery life be better? (that's what i've always figured anyway, I like to have my mp3 player fit in my pocket, can't exactly do that with a tablet)

thats what i was thinking

Dennis.. marketshare is natural discussion here if Nexus 7 sells well. That's the whole implication of these news. Android selling well and what effect that will have on market especially considering the success Kindle Fire had.

• Like 1

Dennis.. marketshare is natural discussion here if Nexus 7 sells well. That's the whole implication of these news. Android selling well.

I would prefer the discussion in this particular thread be simply about the tablet itself or its features so we can have less bickering in here. The earlier marketshare discussion is best saved for another thread like those from stats companies.

Though do feel free to post Nexus 7 sales numbers if they come by.

• Like 3

well for long trips its best the larger screen size is much better for large playlists and for videos its way better to have a large screen... for work I use my phone yeah, but for trips a tab is much much better.

Engadget gave it almost all positives except the expanded storage via SD Cards.. Their verdict (which is shocking for an Android tablet coming from them)

the best $200 tablet you can buy

PROS

• Quality look and feel
  • Great display
  • Solid performance
  • Killer price

CONS

• Limited storage

BOTTOMLINE

Google's first Nexus tablet is a home run, besting the Kindle Fire and handily securing the position of the best budget 7-inch tablet.

I've had my Transformer for almost a year, its the 16GB version and I have never even come close to filling it, even without using storage cards

Android apps seem to use a lot less storage than WP apps do