Google's Nexus 7 Tablet Is Already A Hit!

Retina trumps it.

For you maybe, but I do find usefulness and several reasons for having a high pixel density.

Me too which is why my Xperia S blows the iPhone 4S out the water :D

Personally I don't understand the complainants people are venting here. It's a $200 tablet. Obviously you're not getting everything you might see in premium devices like the iPad. For a lot of people who want a basic tablet this thing is perfect and fairly priced.

$200 for a tablet is great, and all, but I've seen plenty of demos of Apple software that run on the iPad that I'd actually use. I've never seen one (nor heard of anyone mention) any killer software for Android.

Feel free to enlighten me, but it seems like Surface or the iPad are worth the extra cost for their software library alone.

with drop box and other online storage spots storage should not be a real big deal since free wifi is just about everyplace

Agreed.

Some of the reviewers criticising its storage capacity seem to forget that this device is all about cloud storage and streaming.

Personally I don't understand the complainants people are venting here. It's a $200 tablet. Obviously you're not getting everything you might see in premium devices like the iPad.

Actually I think you ARE getting everything you are getting in an iPad and more. What people are not getting is things you might see in a bit more expensive Android tablets (such as SD card slot, HDMI outputs and so on which iPad certainly doesn't have). This is a perfect competitor to iPad and Kindle Fire if you ask me.

Actually I think you ARE getting everything you are getting in an iPad and more. What people are not getting is things you might see in a bit more expensive Android tablets (such as SD card slot, HDMI outputs and so on which iPad certainly doesn't have). This is a perfect competitor to iPad and Kindle Fire if you ask me.

Yup, those screen sizes and resolutions are identical, right? But I suppose that just makes it more portable, eh?

Dear god, some of the things you say are simply amazing... :rolleyes:

The Kindle Fire isn't a competitor to the iPad, so... you're already talking about two different markets. It seems the $200 range is for media consumption, while the iPad and Surface are much more functional devices.

Yup, those screen sizes and resolutions are identical, right? But I suppose that just makes it more portable, eh?

Dear god, some of the things you say are simply amazing... :rolleyes:

what does that have to do with features? screen size and resolution isn't everything, bigger isn't always better to everyone

that's actually one of the main reasons I don't want an iPad, it's just too big IMO. I already have an iPod Touch and I have a 15" laptop, a 7" tablet is a happy medium for me, if I want anything bigger I'll just use my laptop

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a similar thought process in this regard

what does that have to do with features? screen size and resolution isn't everything, bigger isn't always better to everyone

that's actually one of the main reasons I don't want an iPad, it's just too big IMO. I already have an iPod Touch and I have a 15" laptop, a 7" tablet is a happy medium for me, if I want anything bigger I'll just use my laptop

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a similar thought process in this regard

Actually it's funny. In the phone arena people use screen size as an argument for why Android phones are better - because you can go as large as a Note. ;)

A 10" tablet size works; it has already displaced my laptop for leisurely use.

iPad has a HDMI dongle available, Nexus 7 doesnt and will never have since it doesnt have an MHL chip in the device. Its like the intentionally gimped it to make people buy the Nexus Q to stream video to the TV.

What he said .. I have used both iPad and HP TouchPad and both seemed big and heavy to me. For a "pad" device I want something small but not so small like my Nexus One and that's where Nexus 7 fits in perfectly.

Screen size and resolution are features... Not sure what you're trying to get at there.

Obviously people have different needs, and that's great, but there is a lot that you can't do as easily on a 7" tablet. Hence why they haven't ever sold well, and I really don't think the Nexus will change that too much.

Personally, I bought the iPad as a means of replacing my laptop. It's much easier to travel with, has a much better battery life, and does just about the same things as I used the laptop for. You see a ton of people at airports or coffee shops playing on a iPad (or equivalent sized tablet) for those exact reasons. Going from a 15" laptop to a 10" tablet isn't that huge of a jump, but going to a 7" tablet is a huge difference.

iPad has a HDMI dongle available, Nexus 7 doesnt and will never have since it doesnt have an MHL chip in the device. Its like the intentionally gimped it to make people buy the Nexus Q to stream video to the TV.

that seems moot imo as well as there are ways to stream content wirelessly with many TVs and surround sound systems anymore

the need for wires for that kind of thing is slowly dying away

Actually it's funny. In the phone arena people use screen size as an argument for why Android phones are better - because you can go as large as a Note. ;)

the argument itself i find silly, the fact that people want phones with a 5" screen i find even more silly

3" to 4.5" i find reasonable as at those sizes they can still fit comfortably in your hand, so in that regard it's a good thing that android offers choice

that seems moot imo as well as there are ways to stream content wirelessly with many TVs and surround sound systems anymore

the need for wires for that kind of thing is slowly dying away

Hardly moot, I don't know any TV or Receiver that you can wirelessly stream the display from a tablet to the TV without expensive intermediary hardware.

The 2nd and 3rd generation iPad can in fact output to HDMI. The Nexus 7 also a much smaller screen, much lower resolution screen, no HDMI output option at all, no camera on the back, arguably cheaper build-quality, lower-res screen, no 3G option, etc. I won't comment on actual performance yet until I've seen some benchmarks and tried it for myself. On a personal note the lack of dedicated tablet apps on Android kills the platform as a whole. So no, I don't quite agree with your assessment.

Overall for its price I do like what the Nexus 7 offers though. It running vanilla Android is great too and a godsend compared to all the crap most other manufacturers add. I'll be getting one for my mom once its available in the Netherlands.

Hardly moot, I don't know any TV or Receiver that you can wirelessly stream the display from a tablet to the TV without expensive intermediary hardware.

The Apple TV is $99... it's an expense, but I wouldn't call it expensive considering what it can do beyond wireless streaming.

I mean, proprietary HDMI cables will run you $25 - 30 already.

I've read something on the internet giving the impression the Nexus 7 doesn't support landscape mode.

Please don't tell me that's true... :blink:

I've read something on the internet giving the impression the Nexus 7 doesn't support landscape mode.

Please don't tell me that's true... :blink:

you need to go reread that lol

Google-Nexus-7-1.jpg

Um..that just shows you are inadequately informed. It's called DLNA and a large number of "newish" audio video receivers and TVs are already DLNA capable.

You can search for devices here that are DLNA certified

http://www.dlna.org/.../product-search

So no, you don't need another piece of hardware to output from Android devices to TVs and Audio Video receivers.

One of the solid apps for DLNA on Android is Skifta

https://play.google....droid.app&hl=en

UWbRq3HjGaYQafjE3590ud6CPfaBpIITeS6iavRM1v4FzvBTIajxTVn5H63FIVJ0Kw

Pfiew! I already found it hard to believe but wanted to make sure.

I believe apps work in landscape mode, but the home screen doesn't. Kind of weird, but I'm sure that will be fixed in an update or third-party firmware.

Any TV with internet access can connect to AirDroid, which features live screen streaming.

The downside is that you need root access for AirDroid to get the necessary permissions to stream the screen.