Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Wow.. Apple must be paying up big time to try to prevent competition in destroying iPhone. It's a disgrace what the legal system has become in this country.

I just hope Google manages to ban iPhone and IPads from US. This is truly insane.

Oh Apple...how you hate competition. If you believe your product is the best, let the competitors sell their product in the market.

Oh Apple...how you hate competition. If you believe your product is the best, let the competitors sell their product in the market.

We don't even know why Galaxy Nexus injunction has been granted. The phone is better than iPhone in every way and looks nothing like it.

• Like 3

We don't even know why Galaxy Nexus injunction has been granted. The phone is better than iPhone in every way and looks nothing like it.

Doesn't have to look like it to violate patents.

I disagree with these bans though; Apple should seek damages or GTFO.

The phone is better than iPhone in every way

That's probably why it's been banned. I'm sure Apple has cooked up some excuse so they can stifle competition... :angry:

So it's Apple trolling really.. 2 of the 4 patents they sued for are the ones they bought just recently and of course good old slide to unlock.

"As PaidContentreports, Apple filed a lawsuit against Samsung in the Northern District of California federal court on Tuesday, seeking a temporary injunction on the basis of two patents it obtained in December. One of those reportedly concerns the autocorrect feature found on iPhones and iPads, but details on the case otherwise remain a bit light as the complaint itself is still under seal. We'll keep you posted as we get more information."

The Verge has posted as well analyzing this a bit more:

Apple first asked for a preliminary injunction on US sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus devices back in February, and the court has now ruled, granting the motion and imposing a ban ? at least temporarily. The Nexus is the most recent implementation of Google's pure Android experience on another manufacturer's hardware.

Apple's motion alleged that the Nexus devices infringed four of its patents: US Patent Nos. 5,946,647 (actionable linking), 8,086,604 (multi-source searching), 8,046,721 (slide-to-unlock) and 8,074,172 (touch screen word suggestion). The official court ruling isn't publicly available just yet, so we aren't exactly sure which of these patents were found to be infringed. In order to obtain a preliminary injunction, which is considered an extraordinary remedy in patent litigation, Apple had to prove that the asserted patents were likely infringed, likely valid, and that it would be irreparably harmed by Samsung's sales of the product. We've seen in past cases that the "irreparable harm" prong of this test has generally proven to be the most difficult for Apple and other companies to adequately establish.

Reuters legal reporter Dan Levine, who was in the courtroom for the ruling, has indicated that the injunction seems to focus on Samsung's infringement of the '604 patent. That patent covers searching multiple sources of information (on a device and elsewhere) through a single search interface, a lot like Apple's Siri. That's a big deal because the infringement finding is directed to core voice and search functionality within Android. And that's before the recent introduction of the Google Now system.

It should be noted that the trial for this case is set to start at the end of July, so it's difficult to say just how long this preliminary injunction will remain in place. If Apple continues and wins on these infringement issues at trial, the preliminary injunction could transform into a permanent injunction. However, if Samsung defeats Apple's claims in front of a jury, the injunction would end. That's a lot of what-ifs, but the main point is that things could still be in flux in the very near future depending on how the trial goes for both parties.

http://www.theverge....on-galaxy-nexus

This is obviously a direct attack on Google.

Why isn't Apple being tried for monopolistic business practices like Microsoft was in the 90s? Wouldn't banning other products qualify as such? Granted, I haven't followed these cases too closely, so I'm sure there is tons of fine print I'm missing.

When innovation fails and you fail to compete, sue. Apple's new slogan.

Samsung is Apple's #1 competitor and the will continue to sue them no matter the cost. Doesnt matter what changes Samsung makes with their products, it will never be good enough. Apple wants to be top dog again and they are trying to do so by suing over stupid reasons. (other reasons not listed here). What they should be doing is updating their old stale look of the OS and cater to their users more. I had to help a friend with her iPhone the other day and forgot how boring it looked...and was a bitch to see thru the cracked screen....

Apple are running scared of Android and it clearly shows. Class as usual. Steve may be gone but his legacy certainly isn't.

Wow.. Apple must be paying up big time to try to prevent competition in destroying iPhone. It's a disgrace what the legal system has become in this country.

I just hope Google manages to ban iPhone and IPads from US. This is truly insane.

This.

I'm sure Samsung will make a couple of changes and Apple will have to start over with something else. This gets so old.

If they did not resort to copying in the first place, they wouldn't have to make changes.

If they did not resort to copying in the first place, they wouldn't have to make changes.

If you make a patent vague enough, you can accuse anyone of copying. Samsung aren't copying, they're being trolled on the basis of ridiculously vague patents. This judge is the only US judge yet that hasn't thrown one of their ridiculous cases out of court. And even if she is, as I suspect taking bribes from Apple, as soon as this gets to court I still expect it to be slapped down. And it's quite funny really that you Apple cheerleaders actually want competing products banned, do you not realise that competition is good for the tech industry?

Like Apple has never copied anyone. Some of their suits are valid, but slide to unlock/packaging is just stupid. And nothing is anything to get products banned. And Apple and Samsung were supposed to be meeting to resolve these issues. Guess things didnt work out.

Apple claims innovation and that they invented things...fact is, they get the ideas from others and buy them out.

I'm sure Samsung will make a couple of changes and Apple will have to start over with something else. This gets so old.

Pretty much. As long as Apple is getting slammed by Android, no change will ever be good enough.

Good call from the judge.

Oh look, the Apple Fanboy crawled out of the wood work!!!

I hope Google get the notification patent validated and then Apple will be slapped down hard. I really want Samsung to say **** you to your beloved Apple when it comes to components for the iPhone!!!

I suppose you also fail to realise that these patents relate to software NOT hardware. So tell me, why is your beloved Apple suing Samsung instead of Google?

Yes copying when it does not mean that Apple did it....

I let the picture stand...samsungpictureframe.jpg

2006 which the pro-type was shown in 2005

Now what year did the Ipad come out? And what was their beef with Samsung? (black and grey with round corners???)

But then again-- Apple has this blocked due to the fact that it is a digital picture frame that shows pictures and videos plus they had a model almost in 2007 that also had sound and an off an on button on the front.

and I suppose this maker also copied Apple with the slide to unlock...

If you make a patent vague enough, you can accuse anyone of copying. Samsung aren't copying, they're being trolled on the basis of ridiculously vague patents. This judge is the only US judge yet that hasn't thrown one of their ridiculous cases out of court. And even if she is, as I suspect taking bribes from Apple, as soon as this gets to court I still expect it to be slapped down. And it's quite funny really that you Apple cheerleaders actually want competing products banned, do you not realise that competition is good for the tech industry?

Like Apple has never copied anyone. Some of their suits are valid, but slide to unlock/packaging is just stupid. And nothing is anything to get products banned. And Apple and Samsung were supposed to be meeting to resolve these issues. Guess things didnt work out.

Apple claims innovation and that they invented things...fact is, they get the ideas from others and buy them out.

Oh look, the Apple Fanboy crawled out of the wood work!!!

I hope Google get the notification patent validated and then Apple will be slapped down hard. I really want Samsung to say **** you to your beloved Apple when it comes to components for the iPhone!!!

Yes copying when it does not mean that Apple did it....

I let the picture stand...samsungpictureframe.jpg

2006 which the pro-type was shown in 2005

Now what year did the Ipad come out? And what was their beef with Samsung? (black and grey with round corners???)

But then again-- Apple has this blocked due to the fact that it is a digital picture frame that shows pictures and videos plus they had a model almost in 2007 that also had sound and an off an on button on the front.

and I suppose this maker also copied Apple with the slide to unlock...

Do you people even know what patents are involved in the dispute that got Apple the injunction? Apparently not.