Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Do you people even know what patents are involved in the dispute that got Apple the injunction? Apparently not.

Yes we do, it seems that you don't though!!!

This patent is about the shape of the tablet. Precisely what we're saying it was about.

Yes we do, it seems that you don't though!!!

Really? Because this particular dispute is not about physical design. Can you tell me what was the patent that made the judge rule the way he did?

This patent is about the shape of the tablet. Precisely what we're saying it was about.

Uh, no. This injunction is for the Nexus PHONE. I repeat, PHOOOOONE.

Really? Because this particular dispute is not about physical design. Can you tell me what was the patent that made the judge rule the way he did?

Multi-source search (this one primarily), link actions, word suggestions, and slide to unlock.

Those are the four that Apple ALLEGED were infringed and they are all very vague and relate to software.

Also if you had read about this properly you would know that "he" is, in fact, "she" and is District Judge Lucy Koh.

Multi-source search, link actions, word suggestions, and slide to unlock.

Those are the four that Apple ALLEGED were infringed and they are all very vague and relate to software.

The big one is the integrated search that is used in Siri. That one alone was enough (the rest of them are just padding).

Do you people even know what patents are involved in the dispute that got Apple the injunction? Apparently not.

Yes over the Google patents on searching data which this is what Google has filed against Apple to invalidate the block.

Inventors: Lucovsky; Mark (Montecito, CA), Collison; Derek L. (Foster City, CA), Sjogreen; Carl P. (San Francisco, CA) Assignee: Google Inc. (Mountain View, CA) Appl. No.: 11/420,966 Filed:

May 30, 2006

http://patft1.uspto....3&RS=PN/7844603

1. A device comprising: a memory to store instructions to provide, to a user, a content creation application comprising: a first interface to edit and compose an message by a user, a second interface to receive a search query, logic to modify, in response to receiving the search query, the search query by adding one or more additional search terms to the search query, where the one or more additional search terms are based on one or more parameters associated with the email message, logic to receive search results relating to the modified search query, logic to modify, in response to receiving the search results, a relevance order of the search results based on information relating to an intended recipient of the message, where the information relating to the intended recipient includes information based on past searches by the intended recipient, and logic to display, in the second interface, the modified search results and a save link associated with each of the search results, logic to receive a selection of one or more save links, and logic to incorporate, in response to the selection, one or more of the search results corresponding to the selected one or more save links into the message in the first interface; and a processor to execute the instructions.

In bold is the clickable link in question... Which this patent is before the Siri patent...

The big one is the integrated search that is used in Siri. That one alone was enough (the rest of them are just padding).

Which is what the likes of Dogpile, Webcrawler, Ask and indeed Google have been doing for years. Before you say it the patent doesn't specify Mobile Devices either.

Which is what the likes of Dogpile, Webcrawler, Ask and indeed Google have been doing for years. Before you say it the patent doesn't specify Mobile Devices either.

The patent is not for general search, its the integration.

Sure do...why I mentioned the slide to unlock feature as an example.

so because Apple did it, no one else is allowed to have any kind of integrated search even if it's implemented differently

yeah ... if that doesn't scream monopolistic practices I don't know what does

>>? The patent above would apply to a cell phone integration....and there are other search and database aggregation patents prior to Sir that would and could be used in place of this one.

It states Device and Interface .... Which that was just a portion of one of three I found that Google owns about searching.

One even states verbal search strings.

The following is a search string for Patents that Google owns.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&RS=AN%2FGoogle&Refine=Refine+Search&Refine=Refine+Search&Query=AN%2FGoogle

There should be a law that if it's shown that a company is abusing it's patents for anti-competitive practices those patents should be invalidated. Naturally there should be an investigation on how broad patents like many apple got, were allowed to begin with.

Because I have a different opinion?

No, for being a dolt..

Competition is what we need the most and your fanboyism won't allow you to realize this.

apple is going to do what ever they can to stop android period ... apple is running scared ive said it before

Iphone 5 better be jaw dropping or apple is going to be in trouble . Ios6 is meh at best not even with the upgrade imho

SGS3 HTC X series have set the bar uber HIGH ! this is just a speed bump that im sure will be over turned .

SGS3 HTC X series have set the bar uber HIGH ! this is just a speed bump that im sure will be over turned .

Yeah their last 2 product launches have been one feature touts to sell. Apple loyalists aren't bothering drinking that kind of kool aid either, a number have told me "retina is nice but that's just it"

2 companies share pretty much all the profits in the mobile hardware market....and now Apple has pretty much killed the competition (temporarily). To be honest that's not good at all :/

Just the nature of the beast really. Until the patent system gets changed/fixed, we'll only be seeing more of this. The system does have its pros, but it is clear that the way it's used by Apple, Samsung, and others just isn't good for consumers.

As for "Apple running scared", they have their next iPhone to release in the near future. Seeing how well the 4s sold being just a hardware upgrade for the most part, I'm sure they won't have any issue selling their next phone. However, what they can do for now is pull the trigger and fire shots at Samsung to help slow them down in the meantime. Does it suck for consumers? Sure. But Samsung plays this game too, they know how it works, and acting as if Apple is the only big bad bully here is silly. So long as they're both playing within the legal limits, there's not a whole lot we can do until we find a proper means of getting the system fixed.

---

Reported.

Use the Neowin Reporting System Properly.

Do not abuse the report system. While we appreciate members reporting bad behavior,

or posts, please do not use this system to post rude comments or retaliate against other

members. Reported posts will be handled as soon as possible.

Just the nature of the beast really. Until the patent system gets changed/fixed, we'll only be seeing more of this. The system does have its pros, but it is clear that the way it's used by Apple, Samsung, and others just isn't good for consumers.

As for "Apple running scared", they have their next iPhone to release in the near future. Seeing how well the 4s sold being just a hardware upgrade for the most part, I'm sure they won't have any issue selling their next phone. However, what they can do for now is pull the trigger and fire shots at Samsung to help slow them down in the meantime. Does it suck for consumers? Sure. But Samsung plays this game too, they know how it works, and acting as if Apple is the only big bad bully here is silly. So long as they're both playing within the legal limits, there's not a whole lot we can do until we find a proper means of getting the system fixed.

---

All but the reporting system part.. I am in agreement... The patent system needs better documentation ... also these patents that are the same but change one word should be gotten rid of...

That is what is really broke... the Patents need not only be US but Globally-- I have seen patents from other countries have duplicate ones made for other companies in the US.

I also stated that in other posts... I mean you don't really find out if your patent is valid unless you defend it against another company.

---

It's funny because you're the one reporting people. :rolleyes:

you really think he actually reported him? he most likely just said it to make a point so get over yourself