Photo

Permanently delete data from hdd by using format?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:37

you can do a similar command with windows

cipher /w

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814599
How to Use the Cipher Security Tool to Overwrite Deleted Data

Note The cipher /w command does not work for files that are smaller than 1 KB. Therefore, make sure that you check the file size to confirm whether is smaller than 1 KB. This issue is scheduled to be fixed in longhorn.

To overwrite deleted data on a volume by using Cipher.exe, use the /w switch with the cipher command:
  • Quit all programs.
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  • Type cipher /w:folder, and then press ENTER, where folder is any folder in the volume that you want to clean. For example, the cipher /w:c:\test command causes all deallocated space on drive C to be overwritten. If C:\folder is a Mount Point or points to a folder on another volume, all deallocated space on that volume will be cleaned.
Data that is not allocated to files or folders is overwritten. This permanently removes the data. This can take a long time if you are overwriting a large amount of space.

But full windows since vista does work as well.

#17 Jiggah

Jiggah

Neowinian

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:52

In Windows, the diskpart utility with the "clean all" command will zero the entire drive. The "clean" with no all is the trim command.

#18 vanillaketch

vanillaketch

Neowinian

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:03

Even then, it is recommended to perform this multiple times to ensure the drive has been truly zeroized. Every IT Security company I have worked for state that we need to wipe 3-5 times. Normal users won't need this and I feel it to be a little over kill. but it will ensure not a single bit is flipped.

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 July 2012 - 21:42

"I have worked for state that we need to wipe 3-5 times."

This is just pure FUD plain and simple! Even if you missed a few bits from being flipped - there is no actual data that is going to be recovered.

So in NIST 800-88, clearly states
http://csrc.nist.gov...with-errata.pdf

"That is, for ATA disk drives manufactured after 2001 (over 15 GB) clearing by overwriting the media once is adequate to protect the media from both keyboard and laboratory attack."

So unless you have some DOD **** and some out dated procedures/policies that you have to follow in your job. 1 overwrite all that is required. Now I would make sure you trust that the wipe is actually being done, etc. But there is no reason to do the wipe more than once.

Here is a good read on the why you only need 1 wipe
http://computer-fore...ard-drive-data/

#20 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17

Data on a disk which has had its data overwritten cannot be recovered with a simple software program, right?
Such data recovery would require the dismantling of the disk and the use special hardware.

Unless the data on your drive is worth millions, the average person is not going to go through all that trouble.
A single overwrite pass should be enough for your needs.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2013 - 17:31

And if you read the documentation I provided already, even dismantling of is not going to work.

http://csrc.nist.gov...with-errata.pdf
"That is, for ATA disk drives manufactured after 2001 (over 15 GB) clearing by overwriting the media once is adequate to protect the media from both keyboard and laboratory attack."

Notice the laboratory attack part ;)

#22 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2013 - 17:41

Google Killdisk, download and burn the iso, boot and select the erasing, it will take a while one pass with zeros is enough.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!