Introducing... Neowin Client

I'm in the process of updating my original Neowin.net iOS client. It's a native app that features Push notifications whenever new news content is added.

Basically the News section works off the RSS feed and displays it using native iOS controls.

The forums section (for now) uses the built-in iOS web browser to display the mobile forums site, although I am trying to figure out how to more deeply integrate it into the app.

I am taking feature requests, and requests to join the beta program in this thread.

I also plan on creating an Android version, and potentially even a Windows Phone version (once I figure out the full-scope of the iOS version).

This is an unofficial client, i.e. not in any way officially affiliated with Neowin.

Right now, the app will work on iPod Touch / iPhone running iOS 4.0+.

iPad may eventually come.

Android is planned.

Windows Phone is planned.

BlackBerry is being debated (it IS my favourite platform, and the one I personally use, but it is declining after all...)

I would love to have this! When is it set to release?

I'm looking to get some feedback before releasing a beta version. I hope to release a beta this week. If you want to test out a beta, go to http://www.neowinclient.net/forums and start a thread in the Program Discussion forum about it.

Edit: Also post any feature requests there.

I'm looking to get some feedback before releasing a beta version. I hope to release a beta this week. If you want to test out a beta, go to http://www.neowinclient.net/forums and start a thread in the Program Discussion forum about it.

Edit: Also post any feature requests there.

If I sign up for the beta, how will I load it onto my iOS device? (4th Gen iPod) I thought you couldn't do that unless you jailbroke and I'm on iOS6 Beta 2 at the moment. Is it just a web app? If it is, I highly recommend you try to integrate it more into the client so it isn't slow. Are you going to include iAds with it? Please don't, rather, just charge us 99 cents flat out. :D Overall, Make it a very pretty app, with an awesome user experience! Will it use Retina graphics? I like what your doing here! Keep it up!

PS. When it comes out, maybe you could ask Neobond could put it on the front page.

Didn't see the iOS tag in the title, came here hoping for a Metro app. :(

He said it will be ported soon. I'm getting a WP8 so this would be awesome to have!

Would definitely pick up the Windows Phone app.

Funnily enough I did start one, but I never finished it because I assumed people would be moaning about the lack of forum access in it :p Looked something like these

KK2PI.pngBCyU1.pngFstD3.pngwBobS.png

FYI, to get the forum data requires plugins and API accounts that aren't setup on Neowin right now, which is why I didn't bother.

If I sign up for the beta, how will I load it onto my iOS device? (4th Gen iPod) I thought you couldn't do that unless you jailbroke and I'm on iOS6 Beta 2 at the moment. Is it just a web app? If it is, I highly recommend you try to integrate it more into the client so it isn't slow. Are you going to include iAds with it? Please don't, rather, just charge us 99 cents flat out. :D Overall, Make it a very pretty app, with an awesome user experience! Will it use Retina graphics? I like what your doing here! Keep it up!

PS. When it comes out, maybe you could ask Neobond could put it on the front page.

There is a way to load the app without jailbreaking. There will be no ads placed by me.

There is a way to load the app without jailbreaking. There will be no ads placed by me.

That's good to hear. I hate ads - kill 'em with fire. I posted on your forum. I guess we could take the discussion over there how to load the app, where to get it, etc.

Funnily enough I did start one, but I never finished it because I assumed people would be moaning about the lack of forum access in it :p Looked something like these

KK2PI.pngBCyU1.pngFstD3.pngwBobS.png

FYI, to get the forum data requires plugins and API accounts that aren't setup on Neowin right now, which is why I didn't bother.

that looks nice - sure Neowin couldn't enable those APIs, or maybe we could like reverse-engineer the desktop/mobile Forum pages to make our own API for it?

I'd write a Windows Phone or Windows 8 app for Neowin, but I'd need an OK from Neowin staff. I thought about it before but I didn't want to mess with their IP.

That looks awesome. Yes, I stopped too when I thought about the forums and how to support that, but I didn't actually get as far as you did apparently.

I spoke with Neobond about my app. I got the impression that they don't want an app because of the quality of the mobile site (which I agree is outstanding). The only real advantage my app has is push notifications. I don't want to take away ad revenue from Neowin, so... I'm not sure I want to proceed with my app. :s

It's too bad, really. It was a lot of fun to make. But I have to think of Neowin. It IS their news and such, so... :(

I spoke with Neobond about my app. I got the impression that they don't want an app because of the quality of the mobile site (which I agree is outstanding). The only real advantage my app has is push notifications. I don't want to take away ad revenue from Neowin, so... I'm not sure I want to proceed with my app. :s

It's too bad, really. It was a lot of fun to make. But I have to think of Neowin. It IS their news and such, so... :(

they publish a RSS feed to be used so you would not be doing anything that anyone else isn't with a normal RSS program :)

That was my impression as well, and why I never pursued this.

Little off topic, does the mobile site have ads ?

I just checked. I can't find any.

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's development efforts, but Neowin does have a killer mobile site (and it renders awesome on WP7). Given that an app would just be a way of displaying web information anyway, I can't see the added value in it.

Yes.

Where? Or do they not show on devices without Flash? Maybe that's why they don't show up on Windows Phone.

^ OK. Then why not create a browser wrapper with native push notifications (if there is a API for the notifications).

A couple of times I've used the mobile site, the notifications are a little awkward to use.

Where? Or do they not show on devices without Flash? Maybe that's why they don't show up on Windows Phone.

They show up on everything bar Windows Phones - they're broken on the WP browser (you'll occasionally see an error at the bottom of the page where they should be :p)

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's development efforts, but Neowin does have a killer mobile site (and it renders awesome on WP7). Given that an app would just be a way of displaying web information anyway, I can't see the added value in it.

There's a few little benefits like offline reading, Live Tile support, forum & news popup notifications, possibly reduced data consumption and generally just a nice feeling native UI. There aren't any massive advantages, but then again their rarely are with these kind of RSS / site apps, other than added convenience.