ios neowin

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 OP whitebread

whitebread

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:00

I spoke with Neobond about my app. I got the impression that they don't want an app because of the quality of the mobile site (which I agree is outstanding). The only real advantage my app has is push notifications. I don't want to take away ad revenue from Neowin, so... I'm not sure I want to proceed with my app. :s

It's too bad, really. It was a lot of fun to make. But I have to think of Neowin. It IS their news and such, so... :(

#17 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:01

Little off topic, does the mobile site have ads ?

#18 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:02

I'd beta test for you for sure!

#19 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

I spoke with Neobond about my app. I got the impression that they don't want an app because of the quality of the mobile site (which I agree is outstanding). The only real advantage my app has is push notifications. I don't want to take away ad revenue from Neowin, so... I'm not sure I want to proceed with my app. :s

It's too bad, really. It was a lot of fun to make. But I have to think of Neowin. It IS their news and such, so... :(

they publish a RSS feed to be used so you would not be doing anything that anyone else isn't with a normal RSS program :)

#20 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

That was my impression as well, and why I never pursued this.

I just checked. I can't find any.

#21 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's development efforts, but Neowin does have a killer mobile site (and it renders awesome on WP7). Given that an app would just be a way of displaying web information anyway, I can't see the added value in it.

#22 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:04

Yes.

#23 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:06

Yes.

Where? Or do they not show on devices without Flash? Maybe that's why they don't show up on Windows Phone.

#24 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:07

^ OK. Then why not create a browser wrapper with native push notifications (if there is a API for the notifications).

A couple of times I've used the mobile site, the notifications are a little awkward to use.

#25 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:08

Where? Or do they not show on devices without Flash? Maybe that's why they don't show up on Windows Phone.

They show up on everything bar Windows Phones - they're broken on the WP browser (you'll occasionally see an error at the bottom of the page where they should be :p)

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's development efforts, but Neowin does have a killer mobile site (and it renders awesome on WP7). Given that an app would just be a way of displaying web information anyway, I can't see the added value in it.

There's a few little benefits like offline reading, Live Tile support, forum & news popup notifications, possibly reduced data consumption and generally just a nice feeling native UI. There aren't any massive advantages, but then again their rarely are with these kind of RSS / site apps, other than added convenience.

#26 ThisIsStockerHD

ThisIsStockerHD

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 July 2012 - 20:40

I really wish we could have some sort of forum app that would ding my phone when I get a notification, thats all i'm asking for.

Doesn't IPB have some sort of app?

#27 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 02 July 2012 - 20:48

I really wish we could have some sort of forum app that would ding my phone when I get a notification, thats all i'm asking for.

Doesn't IPB have some sort of app?

Not that I've seen. There is an RPC API but it's really designed for administrative purposes. There is also an XML skin. That would be nice. :)

#28 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04

Anyone can make an app using our RSS feeds, I have no problem with that. I think there's even a WP7 app in the Windows Store anyway that uses the RSS feeds.

My point was that we won't be replacing mobile with anything like this anytime soon.