Google Currents to become a preinstalled app in Jelly Bean

It looks like Google Currents is about to get promoted to the highly-vaunted "bundled app" status. That's right, the magazine-style Flipboard competitor is joining rank among Gmail, YouTube, Talk, and Maps in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. That means the app will be preinstalled on new devices like the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus, and it will also be included in that OTA Jelly Bean update that's set to arrive on the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Motorola Xoom in mid-July. According to Android Central, Google sent out an email to content partners informing them that the service's user base was set to increase drastically due to the change. If you're looking for something to do with the soon-to-be-bundled app, you'll be glad to hear that you can find The Verge on Currents

http://www.theverge.com/android/2012/6/30/3128757/google-currents-preinstalled-android-4-1-jelly-bean

Personally, I prefer currents over Flipboard.

I don't think Gmail is pre-installed anymore is it? I know it's not installed by default in CyanogenMod 9 and it appears as a separate app in the Play market.

I don't think Gmail is pre-installed anymore is it? I know it's not installed by default in CyanogenMod 9 and it appears as a separate app in the Play market.

Gmail come pre installed on devices that have Google branding, my SGSIII had it already. With Cyanogen Google asked them to not bundle it for some reason, and since some carriers do stupid things they make gmail available on the play store