Woman smashes pet owner's car window

What would you say to somebody who just smashed the window of your car? One Albuquerque woman said "thanks". It's a story about a hot dog on a hot day in Albuquerque's blistering heat wave.

The sun was broiling. Susanne Jones was watching a little dog in a locked car in a parking lot at a medical clinic. The window was cracked open - but only a tiny bit. She watched the dog yelping and pawing at the windows, then saw him curl up on the floor, apparently exhausted and over-heated.

"The temperature was very hot, the car had to have been very hot," Susanne told KOB Eyewitness News 4 outside a Metro Court courtoom this morning. "It was not sitting in the shade. She didn't have a sun visor up and I just felt like if I stayed there and watched I was gonna watch the dog die."

Susanne was testifying in a hearing about Claire "Cissy" King's admitted violation of city animal ordinances. She told the judge she was taking her 98-year-old mother to the doctor and didn't realize the dog was in danger.

Meanwhile Susanne Jones asked another woman in the parking lot to call 911, but the 911 operator told the woman she needed to call the main city hotline at 311.

The 311 operator connected her to the Animal Welfare Department and she reported the case.

Susanne said she waited 40 minutes, then took matters into her own hands. She said she took a "Club" locking device out of her car and smashed the rear window on the driver's side to let some air in for the dog.

Then the police arrived. Then an Animal Welfare officer. Then Cissy King came out of the doctors office and a police officer told her she had broken the law by leaving her dog locked in the car, but the case was more complicated than that.

"The officer asked if I wanted to file a counter-complaint," said Cissy outside the courtroom. "I said about what, and he said about the lady who broke your window. I said absolutely not - no - I'm sure she did what she felt like she needed to do at the time."

"She came over when everything was finished and thanked me for doing what I did" Susanne said. "She asked if there was anything she could do to thank me and I said just please don't leave your dog in the car again."

The judge said he will dismiss charges against Cissy King, as long as she takes a pet safety class. She said she would do that right away.

Source

glad to see both people did the right thing for once. I would probably have done the same thing though, only I would not have waited 40 minutes before taking action. I'll never understand how people can be so stupid. If you are not willing to sit in a car without the AC on or all of the windows down then don't expect a dog to do the same thing.

Good. Whilst under normal circumstances I'd never encourage the breaking of someone's car window, in this case I feel the right thing was done. The effects of leaving pets in unventilated and hot cars are very well known, the woman should have thought better of trapping her dog in there.

I don't know why people drag their pets around with them all the time, especially in hot weather.

It might be guilt - I know when I leave my dog at home for a long time I feel super bad about it, and I have a walker come over at regular intervals to make sure he's OK and to take him for walks etc.

As for this story, well... the woman was a complete dumbass for not knowing the risks of leaving animals in hot cars etc, but it seems she's genuinely sorry and wants to take classes to become better, so... I guess it worked out well in the end. Poor dog!

glad to see both people did the right thing for once. I would probably have done the same thing though, only I would not have waited 40 minutes before taking action. I'll never understand how people can be so stupid. If you are not willing to sit in a car without the AC on or all of the windows down then don't expect a dog to do the same thing.

Its actually worse for dogs. We can sweat. Dogs can only pant.

I'm glad common sense was exercised by all. Really surprised the kind of people still exist who would do what Cissy did, admit her mistake, thank the "good Samaritan" for doing what needed to be done, and agreeing to take the pet safety class straight away. A class act, both of them.

Good to hear stories like this now and then, and the dog is OK, so a happy ending all around.

I hate these morons that feel the need to bring their pets with them when they go out. They need to be locked in a hot ass car and left for hours see how they like it.

Doesn't sound to me like the dog owner is your typical "don't give a damn" type of owner. I think she was just concentrating on taking her old mom to the doctor and just didn't consider how hot it would get in the car.

People are just dumb sometimes, it happens. At least this story has a happy ending.

• Like 1

I think the judge let them off to easily. They'd need to come go my chambers for a few hours to polish a knob.

Oh yeah the old lady and the dog can wait in the car.