• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,123 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 July 2012 - 23:55

Cue the "I got spanked and I'm fine, so everyone must be fine or is sick from the get-go" trolls...

You say that as if such opinions should be summarily dismissed. The reality is that physical discipline has many benefits to the child, as it can be used to discourage bad behaviour (hitting other children, etc) and dangerous behaviour (running out into the road, etc). I agree that using physical implements / weapons (belts, objects, etc) is completely unacceptable, no matter the severity of the child's actions. I was smacked when I seriously misbehaved as a child and I believe that it had a positive impact upon me as an individual. It was only ever used on serious occasions and I always knew I was stepping over-the-line. The rest of the time if I misbehaved I was made to stand in a corner and was not allowed to leave until a certain period of time had elapsed (usually about 5-10 minutes). And the latter happened quite a lot, as I had two younger brothers and we would get into fights.

It's unfair for people to take a report like this and use it to discredit the use of physical discipline when it doesn't take into account the frequency with which it is used. Some of the people in the report noted it occurring on a regular basis, which is really not acceptable - but that should not be compared to a child who is smacked maybe once or twice a year and only when the reason for it is fully explained to them. There has not been enough - if any - research into the benefits of physical discipline. You can't make an informed decision without knowing the evidence for both sides. But judging by the number of unruly children who have clearly never been properly disciplined I cannot fault parents who are only doing what they believe is best for their child. Few would argue that the decline in physical discipline has resulted in better behaved and less troubled children; many would argue the exact opposite.

When I have children I intend to use physical discipline only as a last resort but will not hesitate if I feel it is warranted.

#17 Phantom Spaceman

Phantom Spaceman

The Not So Fresh Prince

• 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:00

Among adults, 2 to 7 percent of cases of mental disorders — including major depression, anxiety disorder and paranoia — are attributable to physical punishment that occurred during childhood, the researchers said.

Certainly doesn't seem like a lot out of the bunch.

#18 Guest_glyfz_*

Guest_glyfz_*

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:03

Cue the "I got spanked and I'm fine, so everyone must be fine or is sick from the get-go" trolls...

Glassed Silver:mac

Cue the bleeding heart liberals saying that kids should be reasoned with and not smacked, because that's really proving to work well!

#19 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,061 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:06

Human kind survived how many thousands of years with a little tough discipline then the generation of "punish your kids with love" came along and now we have a generation or two of youngsters who think the world owes them the world.

#20 vetJames7

James7

Fixed tentatively

• 7,379 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:06

Are people who are prepared to beat children worthy of having them?

#21 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,061 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:09

I guess some people aren't prepared to understand the distinction between a spank and a beating.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 00:27

Cue the bleeding heart liberals saying that kids should be reasoned with and not smacked, because that's really proving to work well!

Yeah, we can look at our modern society to see how well that was worked......not at all.

#23 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:05

Sure the **** explains me nicely.

#24 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,699 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:14

I was spanked alot as a kid. I did alot of mischievious things though. My dad only brought out the belt a few times. I cant even remember its not that tramatic. if getting spanked hurts your pysche you are a *****. since time began kids have been spanked...just now its a problem. poppyCOCK

Now there is a difference between spanking and child abuse.

#25 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,139 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:23

Well that explains me. :s

#26 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:33

There's a big ****ing difference between beating the **** out of a kid and spanking them.

Trying to reason with a kid is just asinine. Kids need to know that there's a line not to cross and if they then there are consequences for their actions.

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:33

I was punished by getting hit as a kid and I've had no mental health problems other than years of getting high, being constantly pished and not being able to hold down a job

Its all being blown way out of proportion :p

#28 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:40

Well that explains me. :s

Quite a few other things would also "explain" you! (and millions of others)

When ever these threads (and it happens quite often) arrive at Neowin's forum I find the responses (mostly the bleeding heart liberal new age generation, don't spank your kids, most of who don't actually have kids) truly hysterical!

#29 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,624 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:56

There's no excuse for physical abuse.

If it's not acceptable to strike an adult, then it's not acceptable to strike a child full stop.

And yes, I have painful memories being struck as a child. Those things stick with you your whole life. So to all the parents out there I ask the question - How do you want your children to remember you? Because if you hit them, I guarantee they'll resent it their entire lifes, not to mention the mental scars and trauma of it.

#30 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,591 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:57

If you have even the slightest understanding of basic animal behavior you'd know that it's commonplace to have some sort of physical correction to modify behavior. And if you couple that with common sense knowledge that children's minds are immature, you'd realize that it's futile at times to reason with them. Sometimes it's no wonder why homo sapiens are so terrible at finding balance when it's clear we don't consider ourselves a part of nature.