• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:58

Okay, so the consequences must be a physical slap?

This argument can go both ways you know.

Consequences come with many flavours.

#47 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:59

Agreed, paranoia, anxiety, better than teen pregnancy, and a whole lot of other real problems.

are you saying mental disorders arent real problems.

#48 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

• 3,201 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:01

I was spanked a few times ... between 1st and 4th grade (not to mention some other drastic measures beforehand)... remember it and resent it ... now, don't speak with parents/brother at all for some time now

#49 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,461 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:02

Overweight people say "It's McDonalds Fault". Poor People say "It's the governments fault". Etc Etc Etc.

Neither of those are fair accusations. While McDonald's is not directly to blame for obesity there are definitely many practices being used which are detrimental to health, from excessive portion sizes to the use of HFCS (in the US). And while governments are not responsible for providing a care-free existence to poor people there is a lot more that could be done to protect and empower the worse off in society, especially when there is rampant and chronic abuse of the tax and legal systems by the wealthy.

If you can't cope with what's going on in your life, it's not your parents fault for spanking you.

That's not necessarily true. The study has highlighted some potential concerns which deserve to be investigated and it may turn out that in some cases smacking can be a factor in mental health issues. However, that does not mean that such forms of discipline should be banned altogether or are not in fact beneficial. As absurd as it sounds, bacon is a good comparison - many studies have shown it can have a negative impact upon health but few are calling for it to be banned outright.

Given the huge number of variables in a child's upbringing I find such claims to be dubious and would want to see numerous reports with incredibly large sample sizes before jumping to any conclusions. As I said earlier, where is the research into the benefits of smacking?

#50 Gnome

Gnome

Neowinian

• 127 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:04

I was spanked a few times as a kid and don't feel there were any measurable negative effects, though I was never spanked so hard that it caused injury. I'd say it helped keep me out of trouble more than anything else.

I'm pretty sure I was traumatized more by school bullies and crazy girlfriends than anything parents ever did to me.

#51 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:07

I was spanked a few times ... between 1st and 4th grade (not to mention some other drastic measures beforehand)... remember it and resent it ... now, don't speak with parents/brother at all for some time now

This is way out of context..So it is very hard to know anything.

Are you willing to provide the details of your spanking?

#52 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,461 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:11

Agreed, paranoia, anxiety, better than teen pregnancy, and a whole lot of other real problems.

Ah, teen pregnancy - a classic example of manufactured outrage by the media. Such a term takes no account of the relationship status of the parents, their income, education or motivation for wanting a child - it is a general slur on those who do not conform to the expectations of society. More importantly, people are genetically predisposed to procreate - it is society that tries to restrict it.

#53 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:46

I could see this happening to certain individuals. Like with everything, not all things affect everyone the same. So while I was spanked with hand, belt, and paddles by my parents and teacher administration during my childhood, I don't think it had any negative effects on me. Of course, I was always up to no good as a kid and even paddling wouldn't tame me... I once broke the schools paddle by sticking a few batteries in my back pocket. They hit me/them so hard, it split the paddle down the middle... It hurt a ton.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!