Atheist files complaint over Lancaster County restaurant's church-bulle

So if the restaurant only gave 10% off to white people you would still say the same? They are valuing one ethnicity over another.

This isnt the same, they are not discriminating against anyone, how do people not get this?

lot's of people, especially in my area, get out of Church around lunch time and go directly to Restaurants; It's a great business move. If the guy doesn't like it, just go some place else to eat. It's funny Atheists complain about people pushing religion, yet Atheists try even harder to push theirs.

And by the way, I am not a Church goer. Modern churches are a scam to get your money and push Republican agendas; they care nothing about the Bible. I am, however, spiritual.

lot's of people, especially in my area, get out of Church around lunch time and go directly to Restaurants; It's a great business move. If the guy doesn't like it, just go some place else to eat. It's funny Atheists complain about people pushing religion, yet Atheists try even harder to push theirs.

And by the way, I am not a Church goer. Modern churches are a scam to get your money and push Republican agendas; they care nothing about the Bible. I am, however, spiritual.

Dude isn't trying to convert people to atheism; he's gripe is about discrimination.

It's funny Atheists complain about people pushing religion, yet Atheists try even harder to push theirs.

I don't have atheists knocking on my door to convert me to atheism, and I don't have atheists yelling at me every week telling me that I'm going to go to hell.

That's right. Ever single week, crazy christians descend on my university to preach preach preach at the top of their lungs, screaming about the fires of hell.

They tell us that God hates catholics and mormons and gays and lesbians and... basically anyone who doesn't go to their church.

This guy, while I believe he is misguided, isn't trying to convert anyone. At least not with this current complaint.

• Like 2

This isnt the same, they are not discriminating against anyone, how do people not get this?

This is a difference of treatment of a person depending on an arbitrary criterion. It is a not a difference of treatment by denial, it is a difference of treatment by favoritism.

I would compare that case to the behavior of bouncers at club

you are black, you do not get to go into the club, this is Discrimination by denial.

But what happens if you reverse the sentence?

you are white, you can enter the club, this is Discrimination by favoritism.

In that case,

you have the church bulletin, you get 10% off. It is a favoritism.

Reverse the sentence

you do not have the church bulletin, you pay the full price. it is a denial

So yes, it is a discrimination

This is a difference of treatment of a person depending on an arbitrary criterion. It is a not a difference of treatment by denial, it is a difference of treatment by favoritism.

you are black, you do not get to go into the club, this is Discrimination by denial.

In that case,

Reverse the sentence

Don't think you are quite right there. By your logic, is KFC not allowed to give discounts to people who have discount vouchers? As others have mentioned above, the business gives discounts to people with the bulletin, which is available to everybody regardless of their belief. I don't see how that's different from turning up to KFC with a voucher and get a few dollars off the family pack..

Wolff, who said he's never been to Prudhomme?s, recently filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission claiming the 22-year-old restaurant should not give discounts based on religion. ?I bear them no ill will but they shouldn?t be pushing religion,? Wolff, 80, said.

:rolleyes: ...the clown has NEVER been there....I'm sure the attention whoring has made him thirsty

GetALife.jpg

In that case,

Reverse the sentence

You guys got this all wrong, this is nothing more then a simple coupon. Just like any coupon for any store, not everyone will have access to this coupon unless they try to get it in some manner. It's not discrimination, it's not favoritism, it's a business strategy to get more customers. This in no way means non religious people can't participate, just means they might have to work a bit harder for that piece of paper from a church. So no it's still not discrimination no matter how you try to call it.

Don't think you are quite right there. By your logic, is KFC not allowed to give discounts to people who have discount vouchers? As others have mentioned above, the business gives discounts to people with the bulletin, which is available to everybody regardless of their belief. I don't see how that's different from turning up to KFC with a voucher and get a few dollars off the family pack..

You guys got this all wrong, this is nothing more then a simple coupon. Just like any coupon for any store, not everyone will have access to this coupon unless they try to get it in some manner. It's not discrimination, it's not favoritism, it's a business strategy to get more customers. This in no way means non religious people can't participate, just means they might have to work a bit harder for that piece of paper from a church. So no it's still not discrimination no matter how you try to call it.

I am sorry, I cannot agree. If you want to use the coupon argument, I am going to say that you have access to coupons regardless of your beliefs. You get coupons in your mailbox because the mailbox is there, not because of your own religious beliefs.

That's what I thought at first too. However, I think it comes down to how willing the church is to give out extra bulletins.

Will the church continue to give them to you if you don't attend the service? If you do it too often, they might tell you to p*ss off. So if you're required to attend the service, then that would be bad. At the very least, you probably have to show up for Sunday service to get the bulletin.

I don't think it's necessarily discriminatory, but it could be in practice. Remember, the place is thick with Amish and Mennonites... they have a strong sense of community and you're an outsider. Lancaster County is an interesting place...

How is it not the same? Skin colour is an ethnic group, so is religion. It's favouring one ethnic group over all the others. It's quite different from typical coupons, they don't depend on ethnic grouping.

No, it's because ladies nights aren't done in the name of discrimination, they're done in the name of fun. And your arrogance pretty much confirms my point anyway. I bet if it was a restaurant discriminating against wealthy white Christians the death threats would already be pouring in.

It's sad how quickly religious people seem to forget their teachings (death threats).

There used to be a 24hr diner that between 4am-7am if you brought in your bar receipt or paycheck stub from a bar they would give you a small discount and if you didnt, you didn't get the discount.

How is it not the same? Skin colour is an ethnic group, so is religion. It's favouring one ethnic group over all the others. It's quite different from typical coupons, they don't depend on ethnic grouping.

Whut? On what planet does your religion make you an ethnic group, but it sure isn't this one!

It makes you a member of a RELIGIOUS group, not an ethnic one. An Ethnic group is based on nationality or racial sub-type, not beliefs.

The discount is based on a piece of paper, that's it, nothing more. Anyone can provide that piece of paper, it is not limited to anyone race, which is considered a ethnic group. The paper is the deciding factor, not one's religion or anything else.

Whut? On what planet does your religion make you an ethnic group, but it sure isn't this one!

It makes you a member of a RELIGIOUS group, not an ethnic one. An Ethnic group is based on nationality or racial sub-type, not beliefs.

Go read up on Ethnic groups before trying to correct me.

It's not really ethnic discrimination but people do need to start remembering that other forms of discrimination exist. Atheists may not be a race, but that doesn't make discriminating against us any more acceptable.

A private establishment is being punished for offering a discount to drum up business? Besides the fact that it's no one's business, it's also not as if they're promoting religion through discounts. It's merely a way to get a ****-ton of people in the door who wouldn't otherwise go.

It's not really ethnic discrimination but people do need to start remembering that other forms of discrimination exist. Atheists may not be a race, but that doesn't make discriminating against us any more acceptable.

I think this is being blown out of proportion as said before. You do not represent all atheists, so please stop generalizing for everyone else.

Real deciding question, would they accept any other type religious peice of paper? And if one is not of a religion, would they accept something from them as a coupon the same as they would from a church? Having a discount should be for all customers, not a select few. Forcing one to go to an establishment they may not want to, in order to get a discount at another, can be seen as a pretty bad way to go about things.

Normally though, in business, you don't aim for a certain groups business, but aim for all groups business. Unless you want to minimize your profits....

I think this is being blown out of proportion as said before. You do not represent all atheists, so please stop generalizing for everyone else.

Agreed, it's really no different than having a ladies night at a bar. For ladies night, bars tend to pick a slow night and throw in the gimick where girls drink free (or half off). It's a gimmick to get people in the door. Also, as said earlier if you really wanted that 10% then you can always pick one up on the way to ask someone for theirs while they are on the way out.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that radical atheists are just as pushy and preachy as radical religious nut jobs and will look on you with the same disdain as any radical who doesn't believe they believe.

Yep, and there are quite a few of that type of asshat around here. Won't go naming any names, but one has a username that is rather close to "atheist".

Religion is a belief system.

Atheism claims disbelief while having all the organizational structure of a belief system in order to perform their activism. In doing this they walk like a belief system, swim like a belief system, quack like a belief system, but claim they aren't one. Say hello, Donald.

The restaurant is a private business and can do what ever they want, including church, senior citized or cop discounts. Don't like it? Go elaewhere, quietly.

The atheist crew is obviously attention whoring. In light of the above they should STFU, open their own restaurant and give discounts for who ever they want.

That crowd would be hard pressed to find a restaurant around where I live that doesn't do a promotion like this. What's next? Suing Chick-fil-a because they aren't open on Sundays, due to the religious beliefs of the founders? They even state as much on some of their promotional materials and their web site!