louisiana 10% discount pennsylvania discrimination

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

#16 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

• 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:13

As much as I don't like it. I'm pretty sure they have the right to do this. I think its ****ty and would not eat there though.

#17 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

• 2,045 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:14

Ok then let me give you a little test. Look for a person called Jessica Ahlquist, contact her and ask her how friendly she thinks most Americans are towards Atheists that stand up to the religious fundies in your country, or dare to demand their constitutional rights.

I don't care about Jessica Ahlquist - all I care about is your belief that some people can and should be discriminated against because they are not a minority, or because the discrimination is done simply in the name of fun.

#18 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,282 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:14

So he is still allowed to order and even get the discount if he gets one of the flyers. And he doesn't have to eat there. No problem here. :/

#19 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,820 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:15

The religious right does this kind of crap all the time, it's nothing new. They'll find any way they can of discriminating against non Christians. Credit to him for fighting it, I'm sure he's going to get a lot of death threats.

They said anyone could go to a church and get a bulletin. Doesn't mean they have to attend or be a member.

#20 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,786 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:18

No, it's because ladies nights aren't done in the name of discrimination, they're done in the name of fun. And your arrogance pretty much confirms my point anyway. I bet if it was a restaurant discriminating against wealthy white Christians the death threats would already be pouring in.

ah, but there's the rub, the restauraunt is not asking (or forcing) you to believe in (or for) anything are they? They simply want a current bulletion, no one is saying you have to attend the service, you can simply stop by the church and ask for a bulletion and the church would (more than likely) be happy to give you one, take it to said establishment and enjoy your 10% dicount all while wearing an "I hate religeon" t-shirt. THEN, if they didn't give you the discount you would have a discrimination lawsuit.

Otherwise, just eat somewhere else that offers a athiest discount...

#21 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,635 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:21

No, it's because ladies nights aren't done in the name of discrimination, they're done in the name of fun. And your arrogance pretty much confirms my point anyway. I bet if it was a restaurant discriminating against wealthy white Christians the death threats would already be pouring in.

from the article:

non church-goers can pick up bulletins from any church and bring them to the restaurant to cash in on the discount.

why you hating?

i don't see an issue with this, or any establishments with infant/child rules, dress codes, age limits etc...

#22 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,333 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:26

from the article:

why you hating?

i don't see an issue with this, or any establishments with infant/child rules, dress codes, age limits etc...

He appears to be one of those folks who for practically no reason at all like to make big deals out nothing.

#23 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,792 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:28

I can't help wondering whether the tone of the article would be different were the writer made to discuss a restaurant specializing in Middle Eastern cuisine that rewarded discounts to patrons who would pray to Mecca or whose wives wore burkas. Then again, is it much different than the restaurant that offered a free meal to people that dressed up as Spiderman last weekend, or really substantially distinct from bringing in a coupon?

I think it is a tough question, but in the end it boils down to giving preference to people that ascribe to a specific belief, thereby elevating those over others. I think it is vile, but should it be regulated in any fashion? On one hand, freedom is freedom, but on the other hand, if such a time comes that this behavior is commonplace, is lack of government interference merely passive sanctioning of such behavior? I guess I'm in favor of not going down the road where every business has some sort of ideological discrimination in effect and just have people bring in coupon clippings.

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,874 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:30

I don't care about Jessica Ahlquist - all I care about is your belief that some people can and should be discriminated against because they are not a minority, or because the discrimination is done simply in the name of fun.

I never said that at all, you're just trolling me. I actually made one statement and that statement was that Atheists are a hated minority. And that was a statement that is true, they are a hated minority. Nowhere did I infer that I think it's OK for majorities to be discriminated against either, I just said that I don't care about things like ladies night because they're not intended to discriminate. So please just cut the crap.

#25 Win4Ever

Win4Ever

Neowinian

• 95 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:34

There is a restaurant next to movie theater near where I live that offers discount for anyone who's bringing in a movie stub. Should I start complaining discrimination against hmm book readers? Or oh I know, maybe I should start complaining to Chipotle. They offer free burritos every Halloween if you dress up as burritos. Are they discriminating against normal sane people?

#26 ncoday

ncoday

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:38

The religious right does this kind of crap all the time, it's nothing new. They'll find any way they can of discriminating against non Christians. Credit to him for fighting it, I'm sure he's going to get a lot of death threats.

How is the restaurant discriminating against this arrogant a-hole atheist??

He is not required to eat at the restaurant. This kind of bull**** really ****es me off. They want to force people to share their beliefs, which is no different than religious beliefs being forced on them.

#27 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:44

Yeah he is an idiot. This is not a public place so they can discriminate against anyone. Now if it is a public / government thing then it is wrong. :)

#28 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46

How is the restaurant discriminating against this arrogant a-hole atheist??

He is not required to eat at the restaurant. This kind of bull**** really ****es me off. They want to force people to share their beliefs, which is no different than religious beliefs being forced on them.

He may not be required to eat there, and this whole thing is pretty dumb. But nowhere does it state he is trying to force people to share his beliefs. And I hardly see "them/they" as you put it, doing it either. Now you're just spouting nonsense.

#29 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

• 1,538 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:47

It has been my experience that radical atheists are just as pushy and preachy as radical religious nut jobs and will look on you with the same disdain as any radical who doesn't believe they believe.

#30 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,131 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:02

It has been my experience that radical atheists are just as pushy and preachy as radical religious nut jobs and will look on you with the same disdain as any radical who doesn't believe they believe.

Sadly that has become more and more common, yet they act as if it's really different when it's just as bad, just a different choice in religions

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!