louisiana 10% discount pennsylvania discrimination

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

#31 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15

Sadly that has become more and more common, yet they act as if it's really different when it's just as bad, just a different choice in religions

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color

#32 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,170 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:19

Religion is a belief system.

Atheism claims disbelief while having all the organizational structure of a belief system in order to perform their activism. In doing this they walk like a belief system, swim like a belief system, quack like a belief system, but claim they aren't one. Say hello, Donald.

The restaurant is a private business and can do what ever they want, including church, senior citized or cop discounts. Don't like it? Go elaewhere, quietly.

The atheist crew is obviously attention whoring. In light of the above they should STFU, open their own restaurant and give discounts for who ever they want.

#33 vetTHolman

THolman

Mystery Tramp

• 819 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:30

I absolutely support their right to offer whatever kind of promotion they want. It's their restraunt, and if someone doesn't like it they can take their business somewhere else. Sheesh, some people just like to start trouble wherever they can find it.

#34 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,711 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:32

The religious right does this kind of crap all the time, it's nothing new. They'll find any way they can of discriminating against non Christians. Credit to him for fighting it, I'm sure he's going to get a lot of death threats.

Its just to bring in business. I would do the same thing if I had a resturant. And guess what. If it was a 24 hour diner I would show your hand stamp from the local bar/club at nights on weekend and get x% off too. Anything to get people in the door on a slow time.

Private restaurant can do what they want, he isn't forced to eat there.

bingo correct.

Nope. Because there are actually valid reasons for that beyond "share my delusion and be my pal"

This is the same thing. He is catering to a demographic. same as a club with ladies night. Why because it brings in more money for that day.

#35 andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

• 2,993 posts

And that was a statement that is true, they are a hated minority.

That's absolutely not true. Where's your stats of a public survey across the united states saying that people hate athiests???

At my university, people hate religious people if they hate anyone, since there are 5 religious nuts who come to our university and try to annoy everyone.

You'll have to find a large public survey across all of the US if you want to actually say that athiests are hated. Otherwise what you're saying has no validity, and neither does my statement, since they're both based on small personal experiences.

#36 OP jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,602 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

I absolutely support their right to offer whatever kind of promotion they want. It's their restraunt, and if someone doesn't like it they can take their business somewhere else. Sheesh, some people just like to start trouble wherever they can find it.

So very true!! People want there 5 mins of fame, so they bitch about any and everything that does not go there way...

#37 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• 1,364 posts
  • Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:53

Atheism claims disbelief while having all the organizational structure of a belief system in order to perform their activism. In doing this they walk like a belief system, swim like a belief system, quack like a belief system, but claim they aren't one. Say hello, Donald.

You are right on all the rest of your post except this one, where you are wrong on many, many levels.

Give me an example of an organisational structure among atheists that comes anywhere close to that of organised religion. At the same time, you may want to clarify "walk like a belief system... etc.

#38 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

• 2,045 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:55

I never said that at all, you're just trolling me. I actually made one statement and that statement was that Atheists are a hated minority. And that was a statement that is true, they are a hated minority. Nowhere did I infer that I think it's OK for majorities to be discriminated against either, I just said that I don't care about things like ladies night because they're not intended to discriminate. So please just cut the crap.

You said that if something like this were done against white rich men, then there would be death threats. You said that discriminating against men by having a ladies night was ok because there was a purpose, and later you said that purpose was to have fun. So where am I "trolling" again?

Ad so that you know, bars do not have ladies night for fun. Bars are a business, in business to make money. Bars have ladies night because more men than women go to bars. So they give a special deal to women to get more of them to visit, and therefore make more money. It also helps because more men visit when there are more women in the bar who have been drinking (I will let you figure out why on your own). A bar owner wants their patrons to have fun because they will return, but that is nt the reason. Now where have I heard something similar? Oh, that's right, this article. Some resturant owner is giving a special deal to a specific group of people - church goers who, after leaving church are looking for a place to meet with other people, talk, spend time with others, and hopefully have fun. But to you, it is ok to cater to one specific group of people to generate business, but not cater to another group to generate business because, t you, discriminating against one group (men) is ok. oh, and some of those men who go to bars are rich, white, and male. But yet, I don't hear of the widespread outbreak of death threats because they are being discriminated against, as you claim there would be if rich white males are discriminated against.

And while it is off topic, I will bite on your whining about Jessica Ahlquist. You really need to go back to school if you are going to bring up that topic, because they are completely different issues. There is a saying of "separation of church and state," not "separation of church and a privately owned business where somebody who brings in a coupon gets a discount."

#39 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:26

I'm an atheist, and if I were running a restaurant in a mainly religious area, I'd have done exactly the same thing to get the marks
customers in!

Take advantage of whatever you can to make a profit; that's the capitalist way! :p

#40 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,659 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:29

Religion is the belief in something without evidence, often contrary to evidence; atheism is the exact opposite and can at most be classed as a belief. It's rather sad that the religious attempt to discredit atheism by association - the classic "we may be stupid but so are you!" defence. Let me know when atheists start worshipping religious texts, praying to a sky-god, ignoring empirical evidence, shunning science and going door-to-door trying to convert people to their beliefs - then we'll have something to talk about.

As for the restaurant, the only question is whether it amounts to religious discrimination and whether the US even has any laws against such behaviour. As far as I can tell it would run afoul of UK laws regarding religious discrimination:

Someone providing goods, facilities or services must not:

• refuse to provide you with them because of your religion or belief
  • discriminate in the way any of these things are provided because of your religion or belief.

The discount is afterall a form of discrimination because it favours a particular religious denomination, despite the rather weak claims that technically anyone can pick up a flier and get the discount. However, the US typically does not afford such legal protections and I very much doubt anything will be done. Without laws to prevent such behaviour it is very unlikely to go away. You only have to look at the African-American Civil Rights Movement to see that sometimes legislation is needed to do what society ought to do without it.

No doubt many with continue to claim that businesses should be left to operate as they see fit but the recent banking crisis has amply demonstrated that morality, decency and compassion are nowhere to be seen when there's an opportunity to profit. Regardless, it's a shame that in a civilised society such behaviour exists.

#41 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,262 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:42

That's absolutely not true. Where's your stats of a public survey across the united states saying that people hate athiests???

You'll have to find a large public survey across all of the US if you want to actually say that athiests are hated. Otherwise what you're saying has no validity, and neither does my statement, since they're both based on small personal experiences.

Wrong. Very wrong. There have been plenty of studies that show that atheists are the most hated group in America - even more hated than gays and muslims. "Hate" is probably too strong... maybe it should be "untrusted".

A recent study showed that Americans were more inclined to vote for a homosexual or muslim running for president than they would an atheist. Surprising, I know. Well, not so surprising when you consider that 18% of republicans believe that Obama is a muslim... some people are just strange. Only 34% know he's a Christian.

Sample question from one study:

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....

Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%

Other studies and research paper abstracts:

http://www.scientifi...sts-we-distrust

http://asr.sagepub.c.../2/211.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22059841

http://atheism.about...theitsHated.htm

http://tucsoncitizen...usted-minority/

http://newsjunkiepos...usted-minority/

At my university, people hate religious people if they hate anyone, since there are 5 religious nuts who come to our university and try to annoy everyone.

University students aren't representative of the general population. University students are the most likely to be accepting of atheists, and probably be atheist themselves.

Yes, we make fun of the crazy religious people at my university... it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't stand in front of the student union screaming at us that we're going to hell every week...

#42 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,980 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:49

Private restaurant can do what they want, he isn't forced to eat there.

No actually they can't

#43 +Heartripper

Heartripper

Neowinian

• 1,152 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:00

The religious right does this kind of crap all the time, it's nothing new. They'll find any way they can of discriminating against non Christians. Credit to him for fighting it, I'm sure he's going to get a lot of death threats.

If the deal were "30% off for Homosexual couples" you'd say that it discriminated heterosexual ones? The owner of the restaurant can do whatever deal he wants to attract customers, if you don't agree with him just go into another one! :huh:

#44 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,861 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:14

I have no belief in religion at all.. but the restaurant is entitled to make whatever special offers it wants - if you don't like it, go somewhere else!

What an idiot.

#45 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:31

No actually they can't

Actually yes they can, they are technically not discriminating against anyone. The discount isn't for strictly people of religion, it's for those who bring a "current church bulletin", that's it. Nothing stops anyone in particular from grabbing one at any church.