Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

147 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The price for the upgrade to Win8 Pro is cheap. Really cheap. How many of you are tempted by it to take the plunge and upgrade, Metro or not?

Discuss.

I will be upgrading to Windows 8, Because Classic shell looks promising and i like the improvements MS introduced in Windows 8.

I would consider it if the third party tools like Classic Shell continue to work. Otherwise I'll just switch to Windows 7 or stick with OS X.

I remain unconvinced on Windows 8.. the things I've seen do not fill me with huge amounts of confidence. But I'm more than willing to give it a try when it RTM's and makes general availability on MSDN / TechNet.. and I'll make my mind up then :)

I'll be switching to Fedora 17 very shortly as I don't like the direction Microsoft are going with Windows 8 and I'm jumping from this boat now.

No. The way Win8 is atm. Unless options allow to change certain things. My next move is to Linux from Win7.

• Like 2

It can be somewhat of a shock to the system initially. Once you get used to it, it's great. It's definitely not hard to use with a mouse, although I'd avoid the metro apps for the most part - they are. Evaluate which apps work for you and dump the rest. Don't judge Windows 8 (yet) for it's current apps.

I'm developing a metro app myself, and it will definitely be much more mouse friendly than what you currently see in the Windows Store. Windows 8 itself is great, but the current apps don't seem to target non-tablets. My app is touch+mouse done right... I'm talking to Microsoft about getting it in the store very soon... they wanted it in May, but I'm not in any rush to release a free app :p

So yes, I'll definitely be upgrading to Windows 8... but it's free to all students at my university anyway, so there isn't any monetary investment to make anyway.

I have no plans to downgrade upgrade to Windows 8 at this time, it doesn't offer anything that justifies upgrading multiple PC in our house from Windows 7.

However If it works out at ?25 with the $40 upgrade offer here in the UK I might purchase a copy "just incase" as my oppinnion on it might change in the future.

Yes I will be downgrading to Windows 8. Then I will troll on forums like these. Once that is done, I will be happy. :)

I'm in the 'Maybe' camp. There are some improvements in Win8, and I could get used to the Metro start screen. Whether or not it'll be enough to get me to upgrade from Windows 7 remains to be seen.

I make heavy use of HyperV for testing and being included in Win8 means I will be buying this for sure. My workflow was never affected by the introduction of Metro (I simply don't use it + having a full screen search window is a plus).

However If it works out at ?25 with the $40 upgrade offer here in the UK I might purchase a copy "just incase" as my oppinnion on it might change in the future.

Same here.

I can't say I'm entirely convinced by Windows 8. There are days when I see what they are trying to achieve and understand that change must happen for things to progress, then there are days that I utterly hate the Start Screen. It just feels rather unfinished and like something else in the way of me getting to what I want.

I have the RC installed on a machine here for testing and playing with but upgrading my primary machine would probably not happen for some time. ?25 for the Pro upgrade would be stupid to pass up though just in case.

For $40, might as well get it. I really like how responsive and fast Windows 8 is. The Metro UI with keyboard and mouse will take some getting used to, not sure if I'm sold on the idea yet but can't hurt to try it. Otherwise I can always stick with Windows 7 for my desktop and buy a Surface.

I'm with the others on calling this a downgrade although Windows 8 ISN'T as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. For me, Windows 7 is just fine and is still to new to even worry about Windows 8, which is EXACTLY what most businesses will be doing and then MS will be wondering why so many places are still using it when it's 14 years old, just like with the downgrade from XP to Vista was/is!

Certainly not (but I will buy a copy anyways to continue with Classic Shell development to help those poor lost folks) - I just won't use it actively like I use XP and to a lesser extent, 7. The feedback of the majority was clear - that they don't like Metro and they did not want features to be removed - in fact I can tolerate Metro as well - the only expectation was that MS not remove features we love in Windows 7, Vista, XP and yet MS didn't relent - that shows a tendency to not care a damn about users. So, no. Replacing many components with less full-featured ones is not my idea of an "upgrade". I know Windows 8 is not just all about regressions, but the regressions here outweigh the benefits. Windows 7 has also got USB 3.0 drivers from Intel for the same chipset that the Surface Pro is going to be use (Ivy Bridge). I can use the apps and games that run on WinRT elsewhere or equivalents. I might even get the Surface Pro and use it with Windows 7, mouse and keyboard and the multi-touch support in Windows 7 (which isn't essential to using the OS) will do me just fine. And when on the desktop, XP x64 will continue to make my apps fly.

Eventually if you are going to have to stay with Windows, you have no choice but to use it or its derivatives some day, so it's only a matter of skipping this version. But if enough people stick with Windows 7, MS will actually start listening to its users - giving them what they want and not dropping features. Then you will have an even better product in Windows 9.

I'm betting now it will be pretty much bang on ?40 even if you can get a digitally distributed version.

I most likely will purchase a copy or two for upgrading my Vista Ultimate edition or XP. My Win7's will stay intact. Probably run via vmware or something.

I think there's a more sinister gimick behind the 40 dollar offer that will become apparent once enough people have bought into the sham. Kinda like the cisco rounter cloud forced agreement for extra dough. which is why I'd run it in Vmware for a while...

I more or less already have. Been using it since the Dev Preview, and if all goes will continue using it until the first public release of Windows v.Next

Though I'm also considering a switch back to Linux...but not because I don't like Windows 8.