Photo

Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

win8 upgrade win8

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,449 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46

I'm with the others on calling this a downgrade although Windows 8 ISN'T as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. For me, Windows 7 is just fine and is still to new to even worry about Windows 8, which is EXACTLY what most businesses will be doing and then MS will be wondering why so many places are still using it when it's 14 years old, just like with the downgrade from XP to Vista was/is!

#17 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 25 million+ downloads & growing

• 3,994 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46

Certainly not (but I will buy a copy anyways to continue with Classic Shell development to help those poor lost folks) - I just won't use it actively like I use XP and to a lesser extent, 7. The feedback of the majority was clear - that they don't like Metro and they did not want features to be removed - in fact I can tolerate Metro as well - the only expectation was that MS not remove features we love in Windows 7, Vista, XP and yet MS didn't relent - that shows a tendency to not care a damn about users. So, no. Replacing many components with less full-featured ones is not my idea of an "upgrade". I know Windows 8 is not just all about regressions, but the regressions here outweigh the benefits. Windows 7 has also got USB 3.0 drivers from Intel for the same chipset that the Surface Pro is going to be use (Ivy Bridge). I can use the apps and games that run on WinRT elsewhere or equivalents. I might even get the Surface Pro and use it with Windows 7, mouse and keyboard and the multi-touch support in Windows 7 (which isn't essential to using the OS) will do me just fine. And when on the desktop, XP x64 will continue to make my apps fly.

Eventually if you are going to have to stay with Windows, you have no choice but to use it or its derivatives some day, so it's only a matter of skipping this version. But if enough people stick with Windows 7, MS will actually start listening to its users - giving them what they want and not dropping features. Then you will have an even better product in Windows 9.

#18 yakumo

yakumo

Neowinian

• 660 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:06

However If it works out at £25 with the $40 upgrade offer here in the UK I might purchase a copy "just incase" as my oppinnion on it might change in the future.

I'm betting now it will be pretty much bang on £40 even if you can get a digitally distributed version.

#19 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,398 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:14

Yes, I will definitely be upgrading to Windows 8.

#20 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:47

I most likely will purchase a copy or two for upgrading my Vista Ultimate edition or XP. My Win7's will stay intact. Probably run via vmware or something.

#21 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:49

for 40 bucks, shure why not

#22 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:56

I think there's a more sinister gimick behind the 40 dollar offer that will become apparent once enough people have bought into the sham. Kinda like the cisco rounter cloud forced agreement for extra dough. which is why I'd run it in Vmware for a while...

#23 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• 1,964 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:05

I think this is the first time I skip one version since Windows 95.

#24 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,470 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:14

I more or less already have. Been using it since the Dev Preview, and if all goes will continue using it until the first public release of Windows v.Next

Though I'm also considering a switch back to Linux...but not because I don't like Windows 8.

#25 Tech085

Tech085

Neowinian

• 905 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:25

I will be upgrading to Windows 8 is only $40.

#26 FISKER_Q

FISKER_Q

Neowinian

• 586 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:59

Upgrading if it's really going to be that cheap.

There's gonna be lots of mods and programs to replicate start menu functionality, and the new classic shell + optimization improvements is actually great.

The app store would also be nice if it supports "Non-tile" apps, especially as it would handle updates, but i'm not sure it'll actually be able to do that.

#27 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:03

I really think you should have made this poll a plain Yes/No answer. Simple polls save lives, remember that.

#28 Robrad

Robrad

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:04

I am a big fan of the Metro style and the price just makes this upgrade a no-brainer for me! :rolleyes:

#29 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,235 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:05

I really think you should have made this poll a plain Yes/No answer. Simple polls save lives, remember that.

Whether or not to upgrade to Windows 8 isn't a simple yes or no question for most on here, hence the number of poll options.

#30 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:09

Whether or not to upgrade to Windows 8 isn't a simple yes or no question for most on here, hence the number of poll options.

Actually it is. Are you going to upgrade? Yes I am or No I'm not.

You don't need an option saying I'm switching to another OS or that you think Windows 8 is a downgrade. You might think Windows 8 is a downgrade and still update to it which makes your Yes/No question irrelevant. You should have added a separate poll question to ask this question instead of adding it to the Yes/No answer section.