Windows 8 RP: Mouse jerking and freezing

Can you provide a bit more information? Is it jerky all the time or during boot? Or is it only certain applications? Desktop or RT or both?

Happens randomly long after boot. Mostly notice it in Firefox, but have seen it happen using a program called Wavepad. Seems to happen when my HDD is being accessed. My specs are in my sig. Happened on a completely different rig as well. Using Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and Wireless Mouse 5000.

Happens randomly long after boot. Mostly notice it in Firefox, but have seen it happen using a program called Wavepad. Seems to happen when my HDD is being accessed. My specs are in my sig. Happened on a completely different rig as well. Using Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 and Wireless Mouse 5000.

Do you use Steam by any chance?

Nope.

Hmm... I have no idea, then. I had to disable Steam from running at startup because it was flaking out. (On Win7 as well.)

The only other thing I could suggest is posting a log from MSINFO32 and maybe someone could help. I haven't had any input-related issues since the DP.

is it a bluetooth mouse by any chance? because that will happen to me, usually 10-15 seconds it comes back.

is it a bluetooth mouse by any chance? because that will happen to me, usually 10-15 seconds it comes back.

No, it's a bluetrack MS mouse.

Run CrystalDiskInfo and make sure that all your hard-drives are healthy, as it could be that your drive is failing. However, you also mention that it happened on another system. Are there any common denominators? The same brand of mouse? Have you installed the drivers for your mouse / keyboard (if you have perhaps you could try uninstalling them)? Are you running the same programs (Firefox, Bittorrent)?

Have you tried using a different browser? It might be an unstable plugin.

I'm using the same HDD, KB/Mouse from old rig. HDD checks out fine. Elusive little bug. No problems when running Windows 7, btw.

Run CrystalDiskInfo and make sure that all your hard-drives are healthy, as it could be that your drive is failing. However, you also mention that it happened on another system. Are there any common denominators? The same brand of mouse? Have you installed the drivers for your mouse / keyboard (if you have perhaps you could try uninstalling them)? Are you running the same programs (Firefox, Bittorrent)?

Have you tried using a different browser? It might be an unstable plugin.

When your mouse is playing up is your keyboard responsive? As in, can you use keyboard shortcuts to launch the Start screen, alt-tab between apps, etc? It's quite possible it's just a mouse fault rather than a Windows 8 fault per se.

When your mouse is playing up is your keyboard responsive? As in, can you use keyboard shortcuts to launch the Start screen, alt-tab between apps, etc? It's quite possible it's just a mouse fault rather than a Windows 8 fault per se.

No issues with the keyboard that I can tell. Windows 8 auto-downloaded the intellipoint software, so it might be a bug with that.

No issues with the keyboard that I can tell. Windows 8 auto-downloaded the intellipoint software, so it might be a bug with that.

Given that your problem seems to be with the mouse and not with general system responsiveness I'd definitely uninstall that and see if it helps, as I've found that mouse and keyboard utilities tend to cause more problems than they're worth.

It's worth considering buying another mouse of a different brand, as I've read about a lot of problems with Microsoft mice over the years. You can get a decent Logitech high-DPI mouse for a sensible price or a Razer for a little bit more. With many mice you can save custom settings directly to the mouse and then you don't need to bother with the driver utilities any more. Still, I wish you all the best in fixing your issue.

Yup, I have the same problem. Mostly happens at startup (but not every time), and sometimes just randomly, even after using the computer for a few hours. I have a SteelSeries Sensei (but the same thing happened using my old Razer DeathAdder). I have 16 GB of RAM and an SSD, so this has to some kind of OS bug.

I'm probably reverting back to Windows 7 until 8 goes RTM. Hopefully they fix this annoying bug by then. Honestly, I don't even want to upgrade, but need to keep up with current tech.

is the mouse jerking on the tile ... ehehehmm yeah (read that on a peter griffin voice)

could be a number of things .. if it happened under 7 then get a new mouse, if not, then dirt on the laser if not ... interesting issue

is the mouse jerking on the tile ... ehehehmm yeah (read that on a peter griffin voice)

could be a number of things .. if it happened under 7 then get a new mouse, if not, then dirt on the laser if not ... interesting issue

No issues under 7.

Hmm.. this has happened a few times to me too...Each time I think it's the battery going out but seems to recover after a short while...

You're saying it fails when you have 100+ tabs open?

Depends on a lot of variables. But yes, sometimes it fails. Especially if the site is slow.

I managed to get it to give me a warning message saying that the site is doing something illegal (it wasn't). Before that it was outputting gibberish in certain tabs.

Interesting.

IE10 has a lot of bugs in W8 RP most having to do with managing tabs and keeping cool under stress.