Disney Employee Attacks Handicapped Child

Well my first impression is that the parent(s) are over sensationalizing this incident by stating that he has to take more medication and suffers from nightmares. That could simply be coincidences, not related to him be 'assaulted'. However, regardless, the employee most certainly should not have shoved the kid, he (the employee) should be fired at the very least, and since there is photographic evidence that this happened there could be legal action taken against this employee for at least assault. Now the parent in me says if that had been my kid being shoved, I would have kicked his ass! My friend has a boy who is non verbal autistic and he is very sweet and loving, but also misunderstood at the same time, so I could see something like this happening to him.

Well my first impression is that the parent(s) are over sensationalizing this incident by stating that he has to take more medication and suffers from nightmares. That could simply be coincidences, not related to him be 'assaulted'. However, regardless, the employee most certainly should not have shoved the kid, he (the employee) should be fired at the very least, and since there is photographic evidence that this happened there could be legal action taken against this employee for at least assault. Now the parent in me says if that had been my kid being shoved, I would have kicked his ass! My friend has a boy who is non verbal autistic and he is very sweet and loving, but also misunderstood at the same time, so I could see something like this happening to him.

I agree with you. The employee should have been a bit more professional and handle the situation better than that, however the parents are at fault too because once a parade starts, guests are not allowed to cross the lines and interfere with the cast members in any way, shape or form, so I blame the parents for the incident.

The employee was in character and took it so far to be meaner he wantd to scare the child. He should never have touched the child end of story. He was a tad aggressive in his approach but thats darth maul.... fear the sith and ****. But all in all nothing happened. The deserve free passes and a refund. The employee should be fired. Justice

I agree with you. The employee should have been a bit more professional and handle the situation better than that, however the parents are at fault too because once a parade starts, guests are not allowed to cross the lines and interfere with the cast members in any way, shape or form, so I blame the parents for the incident.

But the kid had already hi-fived another "character" (1:38), so everyone (including the parents) most likely figure it's okay as long as he doesn't run out in the middle.

Yeah, I get Darth Maul being in character, but he went too far even if the kid wasn't special needs (which he has no idea about in that encounter). Give the kid a "mean-mug" and move on.

But if it was my kid, I would've gone Obi-Wan on his ass.

I would hope you would do that whether your kid were disabled or not. Disabled people are not super special snowflakes, and I guarantee you that they don't WAN'T to be, either. They want to be treated exactly the same as everyone else.

Really gets up my nose when people play the disabled card on behalf of the disabled. Article title should be "Disney employee attacks child", that's it.

I would hope you would do that whether your kid were disabled or not. Disabled people are not super special snowflakes, and I guarantee you that they don't WAN'T to be, either. They want to be treated exactly the same as everyone else.

Really gets up my nose when people play the disabled card on behalf of the disabled. Article title should be "Disney employee attacks child", that's it.

three part answer

1) yes, I would do that regardless of if my child was disabled or not. in fact, from the brief encounter, it's easy to say that the Disney guy had no idea the kid was disabled at all.

2) my child is actually disabled, to the point that he can't walk and wouldn't react enough to want to high-five him anyway. he'd just sit in his stroller eating. so in that case, even more reason to club the **** out of Darth Maul if he pushed my kid.

3) as far as playing the disabled card, the fact that the kid is autistic makes it that much more damaging. it's hard for those kids to even come out of their shells enough to get that excited at a parade -- usually they would be running away from that much noise and pomp. I'm not shocked that he has nightmares now.

3) as far as playing the disabled card, the fact that the kid is autistic makes it that much more damaging. it's hard for those kids to even come out of their shells enough to get that excited at a parade -- usually they would be running away from that much noise and pomp. I'm not shocked that he has nightmares now.

I have an aspie son. I wouldn't take him anywhere NEAR a Disney parade... I'd be dealing with the fallout from it for months. Parents are idiots, tbh. (And yes, the Disney employee should be severely reprimanded/fired for shoving the kid, ANY kid. The disability part is irrelevant.)

Actually... Looks to me more like the performer was just being in character...

Anyway. 2009? This is just coming up now?!

Did you not read my post? It says:

"This is a little old but wow...Amazing what people will do to get money. Check it out and post your opinion"

• 4 weeks later...

That kid shouldn't have been jumping into the parade like he was. Terrible parents.

Are you kidding me? How dare you refer to these people as "terrible parents." Have you ever had a child with autism? As the previous post said, he was high-fiving all the other characters and no one said anything or even discouraged him. This child was living one of the best moments of his life. I applaud his parents for providing this opportunity for him. They know what their child can and cannot handle. It wasn't their child that had the temper tantrum, it was the Disney employee. This employee should have been reprimanded. If that had been my child, I would have been at the administrative office making an official complaint. Don't judge anyone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes...

OK... I'd like to offer my feelings on this, as I have seen this video a number of times. Moreover, a girl I am seeing works for the National Autistic Society and is very VERY caring in her views. I showed this to her as she also loves Disney just to see what she thought. To sum it up:

* A lot of people use the "My son is autistic" card. Yes, your son is autistic (or rather: has autism) - but you chose to take them to Disneyworld, somewhere that they will be very much over-stimulated. And you chose to not supervise them correctly. A parent should supervise any child, and at least be "more aware" if you chose to take an autistic child somewhere like this.

* The kid ran out into the area they are NOT ALLOWED once a parade starts. I know that children are about as controllable as spinning tops, and suffering from autism will increase this. And again, the parent should have made sure this didn't happen. The kid was already at the front, and already past the boundary for quite a long time - so it shows his parents were not taking care.

* "Darth Maul" does not seem to be doing anything other than keeping in character. He DOES NOT strike the kid, that is a video angle, he is simply pushing him back. Maybe not the "best" reaction, but it was far from the situation the video makes it out to be.

* It's hugely unlikely the child would have needed further medication. He may have needed to discuss this a few times with his therapist/carer, but medication would not have solved any problem this created.

So yeah, those are her views as an appointed and qualified carer and moreover as a very kind and caring person...

It could have been MUCH worse! He could have taken out his double ended lightsaber and cut him in half. I think the kid got off easy!

• Like 3

The "attack" was nothing more than a push and was in character; that's not to say it was acceptable but that's what the complaints procedure is for. To advocate going "Obi-Wan on his ass" is immature and shows complete contempt for society and common decency. It's one thing for your emotions to take over in the heat of the moment but it's another entirely to say - when calm - that you would assault somebody that did this to your child. That's a calculated criminal offence and much, much worse that the act that precipitated it.

I highly doubt that you would actually do such a thing - I imagine you were just trying to act tough on the internet - but if you would that's very sad.

The "attack" was nothing more than a push and was in character; that's not to say it was acceptable but that's what the complaints procedure is for. To advocate going "Obi-Wan on his ass" is immature and shows complete contempt for society and common decency. It's one thing for your emotions to take over in the heat of the moment but it's another entirely to say - when calm - that you would assault somebody that did this to your child. That's a calculated criminal offence and much, much worse that the act that precipitated it.

I highly doubt that you would actually do such a thing - I imagine you were just trying to act tough on the internet - but if you would that's very sad.

I don't give a **** what you think, I would have stepped up right in his face if he pushed my kid while he was simply trying to give him a high-five (that he had just done to another "actor" less than 2 minutes before with no issues from any Disney employee telling him to stay back).

Because god forbid a Star Wars "actor" break character at a Disney event

Kid shouldn't have been in the way of the parade.. so bad parenting on their part. But the guy was a bit heavy handed I think!

Seriously, how over the top is this video. And the end part of it about him taking more medication etc is bull**** IMO. Yes the employee shouldn't of pushed him like that but it was not malicious and the stills make it look worse than what it is.

I think that people are exaggerating this immensely.

The way the kid moves up to him, it is understandable if the actor thought he was going to hit him. That's what it looked like. The kid then does hit him, which makes the guy push him back.

I knew before I even saw the video, that this involved a boy, by the use of "child" instead of a gender reference in the title. If it had been a girl, the headline would have shouted, "Disney Employees Attack Handicapped Girl", and there would be less question about the culpability of Disney or the claims of the child's family. However, you know, since boys are like, considered more disposable and stuff...