Leaving iPhone... moving to Galaxy S III

So... I never thought I would do it. I've always been a huge iDevice and Apple advocate... but on Monday, after a few days of careful decision and playing around with iOS 6, I realized that the iPhone just doesn't do anything for me anymore. I've owned Android devices in the past, but I've had nothing but bad experiences. My HTC Incredible's screen stopped working on me after 3 days of use, and my Droid X, even with 2.3, was unbearably slow, almost unusable.

To those of you who have the GS3 already, what should I expect? I've already read tons of reviews, and have seen video reviews, etc., but none of them give me an accurate version real world usage.

Also, what Applications should I get? I don't really know what's available for Android 4.0. Will my Android 2.3 apps from my Droid X work (especially Logmein Ignition, since I paid for that)?

Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Mike

I suggest the HTC One X over the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Anyway, I have owned a 3G, 4 and now own a 4S.

I love the idea of moving to a HTC One X but I have heavily invested in Apple's App Store, so I can't justify moving to Android now.

The only real reason I want to jump ship is due to the 4.7" screen but it's not enough of a reason.

• Like 1

So... I never thought I would do it. I've always been a huge iDevice and Apple advocate... but on Monday, after a few days of careful decision and playing around with iOS 6, I realized that the iPhone just doesn't do anything for me anymore. I've owned Android devices in the past, but I've had nothing but bad experiences. My HTC Incredible's screen stopped working on me after 3 days of use, and my Droid X, even with 2.3, was unbearably slow, almost unusable.

To those of you who have the GS3 already, what should I expect? I've already read tons of reviews, and have seen video reviews, etc., but none of them give me an accurate version real world usage.

Also, what Applications should I get? I don't really know what's available for Android 4.0. Will my Android 2.3 apps from my Droid X work (especially Logmein Ignition, since I paid for that)?

Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Mike

Good choice and good luck with the phone/. :)

As for Apps, depends on what kind of apps you are looking for. Have not run in to one app that didnt work on 4.0.

• Like 1

I suggest the HTC One X over the Samsung Galaxy S III.

I love the idea of moving to a HTC One X but I have heavily invested in Apple's App Store, so I can't justify moving to Android now.

I can't move to the HTC. I have Verizon, it isn't available. I've had a 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S. I've used iOS 6 and its still the same phone that I've had since the 3G. Not worth it to me. Also, I'm not trying to get anyone to prevent me from switching or tell me I'm making a mistake please. I've already preordered the phone. I have no intention of sticking with iPhone. I just want people's opinions on the phone from those who have it (and Android 4 experiences for those who don't), and app recommendations for Android.

I once tried to switch from iOS to Android. At the time, the HTC Inspire 4G was the top phone. I loved the phone itself, the big screen, everything about it. However, I couldn't stand Android, I guess because I know what iOS can do, Android just feels so subpar to me. I returned it after 3 days and went back to my 3GS.

• Like 2

The phone itself is awesome - Had all the Samsung Galaxy series, and this is (as it should be...) the best one yet! - havnt found 1 thing i cannot cope well with so far! The IPhone is no comparison to it, my mrs has one, and even she wants the SGS3!

I don't think Neowin is really the best place to ask for objective advice on Google products. Personally I would look towards forums like XDA-Developers. However I will attempt to help you if you have anything specific. And yes, the majority of your 2.3 apps should work on ICS

• Like 3

Once you get comfortable with all the options you never had with an iOS device you will be glad you made the change

Contrary to popular belief there is no real learning curve when switching, just different ways of doing the same thing, just like switching from Windows to a Mac, after a while it all starts making sense

Not sure what to say (have the S2 (mine) and iPhone 4 (wife's)) ...

I do prefer the S2 as the iOS does nothing for me (however easy for the women - though she would not mind an Android)

I would say first thing root it and put CM9 on it ... you will not regret it ... why? simply because it is snappy, customizable, easy to use and full of surprises (some good some bad) ...

I went from iOS to Android and I'm not going back.

Me too

First 2 weeks were brutal, i hated it and considered going back

then slowly I finally started geting used to it.

I dont want to go back now any more and i have learned to appreciate the new features, they totally make up for the small usability issues i had at first (at first those issues looked HUGE)

give it time and think of the benefits, android is much much more complicated, but aslo much more open to possibilities.

ps. i have HTC one X.. some the hardware. SG3 is just ugly, imho. still the inside hardware is great. but i am a sucker for looks.

Yep.. as some have noted.. if having a slick phone is important to you (coming from iPhone) HTC One X is definitely the nicest looking one so far including build materials and so on.

But I would definitely recommend Galaxy Nexus.. you will get Jelly Bean goodness like immediately and enjoy the best and latest Android has. Google Nexus is an excellent phone, so much that I'm really not inclined to buy either HTC One X or GSIII unlike with Galaxy S2 and Nexus S.

I switched from iOS to Android... then back to iOS. Android is ok but I missed the variety and polished apps on the App Store. I like the look of WP7 but the lack of apps again keeps me with iPhone for now.

SK[' timestamp=1341428244' post='594979781]

I switched from iOS to Android... then back to iOS. Android is ok but I missed the variety and polished apps on the App Store. I like the look of WP7 but the lack of apps again keeps me with iPhone for now.

There are not many if any apps that are not already on Android, if by polish, you mean the ugly iOS look then fine, but let's be honest and drop the "no apps" lies

I don't have the SGS3 but I currently use the EVO LTE which is almost identical to the One X and love everything about ICS, I've owned a few iPhones in the past and I will admit the apps are more polished than android apps, and by "polished" I mean they are simply more stable, not that I have never had an iOS app crash, on ICS it seems like crashes are fewer than they were on previous Android versions.

I've owned 2 versions of the SGS2, one for T-Mobile and the sprint version, both were great phones so I'm sure the S3 will be even better, congrats on your new phone.

I owned a HTC Desire and an iPod touch at the same time at one point. I continued my love affair with Android, whilst quickly growing bored with the touch, which I eventually sold. The argument that anyone who has used both will hate Android is just not true.

I had all iPhone models since the original, but the 4S. I had the Galaxy S2 and now the Note.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE IPHONE AGAIN.

Apple has just screwed iOS even more by dumping Google maps instead of improving it. Don't pay attention to "apps are polished in iOS" because this is a total lack of a useful argument. It is the same thing.

With Android you have freedom and LOTS of features that you won't get with the iPhone.

But with tablets, now that's a different story.

Ps: get cm9 on your device if you don't want Samsung's crap and you'll love Android.

I agree. I've seen touchwiz and I don't much care for it. But then I tend to root and "stock-ify" most devices I own.

And personally I experienced just as many app crashes on iOS as on Android. The "iApps are better quality" argument is a myth.

that the best you did Android is way better then iphone , i just going to mention 1 ... Android 4G ,,,,,, all iPhone 2,3,4 and 4s are 3g only

Thanks guys. I've been hearing some things about the GS3's reception problems... not sure if it's related to the Sprint version (which is out already) or if it will affect the GS3 on Verizon too. I'm happy my 2.3 apps will work.

I've played around with the galaxy nexus, and while I'm impressed at its speed and the software, I think i'm going to stick with the GS3, solely for the fact that the nexus I played around with (a friends, not even a store model) had screen burn in like crazy. I had chrome open on a white background, and I saw some nasty remnants of his application tray. I know the screen in the GS3 is essentially the same... I just hope that doesn't happen.