Flight delayed for crew drug test

DES MOINES, Iowa, July 2 (UPI) -- Passengers on a delayed U.S. Airways flight out of Des Moines, Iowa, said the flight was further delayed due to a passenger's joke about the crew drinking.

Tina Swail, spokeswoman for U.S. Airways, said the flight bound for Charlotte, N.C., was supposed to leave at 7 a.m. but was delayed for two hours because the inbound plane with the flight's crew had been late and rules state they must receive at least two hours of rest before their next flight, The Des Moines Register reported Monday.

Swail confirmed the plane was further delayed until just after 1 p.m. because of a passenger's comment about crew drinking led officials to administer drug tests, which all crew members passed.

"Any accusation of this sort is taken very seriously and out of an abundance of caution the crew was administered a drug test," Swail said.

Passenger Glenn Clark, who was traveling with his wife, said he heard a passenger boarding the plane ask the crew if they had partied too much last night. He said the man and other passengers laughed at the comment.

"He said it jokingly, and I didn't really think much of it, personally," he said.

source

Sho whas wrong wit a few drinks? (hick) I's not drunk! Rest assured that all crew members had paid off passed the tests.

I always fly the plane better, after a few ... :wacko:

Yes, but you're one of the passengers, not the crew members.

ahhh the world's ending! a two-hour delay!? madness!! But wait - they were delayed from 7AM for 2 hours... then Further Delayed until 1PM to administer drug tests, which everyone passed...

4 hours for drug testing? They either have a lot of crew or very thorough tests.

I won't be surprised if they build in breath analyzers, for the pilots to use, before the engines will start.

Its bring the sober passenger to the cockpit day! passenger 22B - Its your lucky day!!

It takes two hours to do a breathalizer?

Pretty sure an airlines going to do more than just administer a breathalizer test.. They most likely received a blood & urine test. In the hands of 200+ passengers I highly doubt a airlines going to take even the smallest of risks especially after a passenger had made a comment regarding it (even though it was a joke)

Pretty sure an airlines going to do more than just administer a breathalizer test.. They most likely received a blood & urine test. In the hands of 200+ passengers I highly doubt a airlines going to take even the smallest of risks especially after a passenger had made a comment regarding it (even though it was a joke)

I thought so if this is the case, they should have a back up crew ready to go when they have these tests. Airlines should be fined for late flights for everything except mechanical issues and weather.