The simplest way to boot Windows 8 directly to Desktop

As much as people may like Windows 8, most just cannot get used to the idea of NOT seeing the desktop, once Windows 8 boots. We have been regularly sharing details and tips about Microsoft?s upcoming operating system, viz. Windows 8. We had developed an app which could allow you to boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop.

Our said Metro UI Tweaker allowed you to tweak Windows 8 DP to boot directly on to the Desktop, disabling the Start Screen ? but this tweak was disabled by Microsoft in its further releases. Maybe Microsoft does not want users to bypass the start screen ? maybe they want users to get used to the Windows 8 Metro Start Screen.

We have earlier posted about how you can boot directly into the desktop mode of Windows 8 using explorer script. But not many may want to try it really! There is always the option of using the latest version of Classic Shell that allows you to do so.

Today, in this article, I?m going to share you a simple but working, reliable and awesome tip, that will let you boot directly into Windows 8 RP Desktop directly, without using 3rd party tool or using any script.

21oq3h2.png

Actually I found out this way accidentally. I then searched on the Internet and found that no one had really come across it or written about it!

Boot Windows 8 directly to desktop

Well to do so, follow these simple instructions!

1. The core part of this trick lies on the position of Desktop tile.

Move the Desktop Tile and place it in the top left corner of the Metro Start Screen, just below the Start text.

5b2xpu.jpg

2. Reboot your Windows 8 and you will see the login screen. As usual, type in your local accountor Windows Live account password. Just enter the password, don?t press the Next arrow or Enterkey here.

15nu34w.png

3. Now press AND hold down the Enter key. In a few seconds, you will see your Windows 8 desktop appear Thus will have skipped Metro Start Screen smartly!

Alternatively, as soon as you are logged in and the Start Screen appears, simply hit Enter and you will see your desktop. You no longer need to search for the Desktop tile and click on it.

What is happening is simple, the Desktop being the first tile on the Start Screen, the click of Enter keyboard key, affects it and the Desktop opens fluidly.

Well, till such a time that another way is found, I think this might be the best way to boot Windows 8 directly into the desktop mode.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com

:happy: Thank You Kapil

But it sucks, because you have to sit there and hold enter till it launches the Desktop Live tile...

Well, do you have any better idea?

So holding down the Enter key at a specific time is easier than just CLICKING ON THE DESKTOP TILE???

:|

I don't have to search for my desktop tile, I know where it is. And what's the problem with clicking 1 tile once to get to the desktop.

I get the feeling that a lot of people are just up each others arses in the hate of metro/start screen.

Find out the shortcut that the Desktop tile refers to, and create a .bat file / shortcut and stick it in startup folder

Never really had the need myself, typically the first thing I'd do at the desktop is bring the start screen back up and launch something anyway.. but if I insisted on this behavior I'd probably just go with Classic Shell or create a login script.

Well, do you have any better idea?

Here's a crazy idea: Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you hate Metro so much and only want to use the desktop. Life can be so simple at times.

Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you hate Metro so much and only want to use the desktop. Life can be so simple sometimes.

Yep, I stick to my Windows 7; Found this method so shared it here for you my friends. That's all.

Yep, wait for Start8 RTM version, they have already said it will be incorporated into it.

OKAY :pinch:

OKAY :pinch:

What is your "OKAY" about.. if someone wants to skip the start screen, then what good is it if you can't access your start screen apps. So using Start8 RTM version will allow you to boot to the desktop instead, and have a functional start button. I don't see the problem, if someone wants to use it, let them. No one is telling you how to setup your system..

Wow is it really so hard to click on the Desktop tile.. You guys are getting so lazy, it's pathetic. Soon you people will be complaining you have to press the power button to start the computer.

For some reason my Windows 8 RP system automatically boots to the desktop and I haven't modified any system files or settings. I think it's a desktop app that launches at startup. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Wow is it really so hard to click on the Desktop tile.. You guys are getting so lazy, it's pathetic. Soon you people will be complaining you have to press the power button to start the computer.

Why do you care? Does this affect you in any way on a personal level?

Right click desktop, new Shortcut, put %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257} in location, name it whatever you want and put it in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup , everytime windows start it will automatically go to the desktop, no need to press anything.

that's not the point. The point is some want to have the option to choose preferable to boot either into desktop or metro screen mode. It is that hard for MS to acknowledge is little bit of consumer choice....especially considering the price tag they want to justify? Do yourself a favour, go somewhere else and post pointless sarcasm....

that's not the point. The point is some want to have the option to choose preferable to boot either into desktop or metro screen mode. It is that hard for MS to acknowledge is little bit of consumer choice....especially considering the price tag they want to justify? Do yourself a favour, go somewhere else and post pointless sarcasm....

I think you don't understand the meaning of sarcasm. And what's the point of going directly to the desktop? You're going to launch an app eventually why not just pin it to the start menu and click it, problem solved.

Here's a crazy idea: Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you hate Metro so much and only want to use the desktop. Life can be so simple at times.

Yeah, because Win8 doesn't bring anything else at all to the table . . .

I think you don't understand the meaning of sarcasm. And what's the point of going directly to the desktop? You're going to launch an app eventually why not just pin it to the start menu and click it, problem solved.

ok, so let's go back a few steps then. You said " Soon you people will be complaining you have to press the power button to start the computer." because of the Metro complaint. That's called sarcasm, because you are taunting or 'having a go' at those who want choice. Let me wiki that for you to if you don't understand -> sarcasm . Pin it to the start menu? People want choice, yes choice. How about an option to boot to desktop first and then launching pinned apps? anyways, I just had a look at your 'Lovin the Metro' sig, so nuff said....

This is an interesting idea, actually. If you put the desktop tile as the first tile, you can go directly to the desktop from any metro app by pressing win-key + enter. Yes, ctrl+d works, but I like this way better.

Edit: If you do this from the desktop, you'll open Narrator... oops :p

It is simpler - keep pressing enter and you boot into classic UI.

Am I the only one here that uses the damn keyboard AND mouse?