The simplest way to boot Windows 8 directly to Desktop

Guys, don't trouble yourselves with troublesome work-arounds or shoddy third-party hacks. Let's face it: Windows 8 IS Metro. If you don't like it, stick with Windows 7, buy a Mac, or learn Linux. It's that simple.

It is simpler - keep pressing enter and you boot into classic UI.

Am I the only one here that uses the damn keyboard AND mouse?

Apparently. I use thought waves and eye movement. Join me in the early 21st century, will ya?

Wow is it really so hard to click on the Desktop tile.. You guys are getting so lazy, it's pathetic. Soon you people will be complaining you have to press the power button to start the computer.

Are you telling me I have to depress that button on my computer 3 millimeters to power it on? What is this North Korea? I'd cut my wrists and end it all now but I'm sure that would be even more effort.

I pray for the day we finally have a suicide booth on every street corner.

ok, so let's go back a few steps then. You said " Soon you people will be complaining you have to press the power button to start the computer." because of the Metro complaint. That's called sarcasm, because you are taunting or 'having a go' at those who want choice. Let me wiki that for you to if you don't understand -> sarcasm . Pin it to the start menu? People want choice, yes choice. How about an option to boot to desktop first and then launching pinned apps? anyways, I just had a look at your 'Lovin the Metro' sig, so nuff said....

It's not sarcasm, it's a prediction based on facts. You may find it sarcastic because you feel offended by it.

People are complaining because they have to insert disk 2 half-way through their Xbox games.

But you're right people need choice because clicking the desktop tile is sooooo complicated.

Are you telling me I have to depress that button on my computer 3 millimeters to power it on? What is this North Korea? I'd cut my wrists and end it all now but I'm sure that would be even more effort.

I pray for the day we finally have a suicide booth on every street corner.

Really, what's all this voice recognition software for if we can't command them to start our computers, load up a browser, fill in the URL to Neowin, AND bitch on the forums on our behalf? I thought Siri was more than just a sexy voice.

Right click desktop, new Shortcut, put %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257} in location, name it whatever you want and put it in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup , everytime windows start it will automatically go to the desktop, no need to press anything.

That trick did not work for me.

Yeah, because Win8 doesn't bring anything else at all to the table . . .

No not anything else, simply not a whole lot if you strip out Metro end-user feature-wise.

Here's what I'm using for my Windows 8 RP to "boot" to the desktop:

Open Notepad. Paste in the following:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save as "Show Desktop.scf" in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory.

When you logon to Windows, you will initially see the Start screen, but after a few seconds, the desktop will load.

• Like 1