Google annoys Opera users who won't switch to Chrome

Its a google service, they have a browser, they can support/advertise it as they see fit. Also opera's tiny community is known for being the loudest when it comes to gripes.

It's Microsoft's OS, they have a browser, they can support/advertise it as they see fit.

Oh wait...

Good move Google. I hope other sites stop support for that poor excuse for a web browser.

Really? Stupid comment of the thread.

hadn't used Opera in a long time...looks pretty good using it now (especially Turbo, that was the reason I tried it out a few years ago).

thanks to Google's nagging warning Opera just gained a new (part-time) user :D

I wouldn't say that..

I mean google does use non-standard stuff, but if your browser doesn't, not having it doesn't Break functionality.. But if you use a browser that DOES have it, you get some added benefits..

It depends on what non-standard stuff you mean, I know Mozilla have run into some issues with Firefox Mobile of sites breaking because it they only use WebKit prefixed transforms (The object might be positioned offscreen and translated onscreen, but if it doesn't use the standard properties then other browsers won't show it, etc.)

One issue is that WebKit never drops support for the non-standard properties, which in practice causes authors to only use the -webkit- prefixed CSS properties since the behavior will never change or go away (Compared to the standard method that evolves), it's prevalent enough that on mobile, Opera, Mozilla and IE are going to start supporting the -webkit- variants (Which the WebKit guys don't want, but they brought it on themselves). And to compound the problem even more, Microsoft is starting to do the same (For the sake of "backwards compatibility")

It depends on what non-standard stuff you mean, I know Mozilla have run into some issues with Firefox Mobile of sites breaking because it they only use WebKit prefixed transforms (The object might be positioned offscreen and translated onscreen, but if it doesn't use the standard properties then other browsers won't show it, etc.)

One issue is that WebKit never drops support for the non-standard properties, which in practice causes authors to only use the -webkit- prefixed CSS properties since the behavior will never change or go away (Compared to the standard method that evolves), it's prevalent enough that on mobile, Opera, Mozilla and IE are going to start supporting the -webkit- variants (Which the WebKit guys don't want, but they brought it on themselves). And to compound the problem even more, Microsoft is starting to do the same (For the sake of "backwards compatibility")

I haven't seen this issue with GOOGLE sites.. But there could be.. just haven't seen em.

That said, there are lots of **** poor programmed sites out there.. I make no excuses for them.

Using -moz, -webkit, etc CSS tags should be just to enhance an existing design, but not required for it to be functional. You make it work with the basic, most widely supported CSS, then you make it better with CSS3, and engine specific tags.. that way if it isn't supported, it falls back gracefully..

And I don't blame them for adding to tags to the browsers engines in the first place.. I mean Webkit and Mozilla [ and I think Opera ] All supported rounded CSS corners long before the spec was final.. Spec takes a long time to get finalized, adding stuff ahead of time is great for people who want to get ahead of the game.. and supporting it is a must, cause people write code for it, and may not go back and change their CSS when the spec does become final and implemented in the browsers.

There so so many search engines ans other services... why Google?

I can live so great without Google and also without Bing.

I really don't care so much what Google does or what not.

Opera is one of the best (if not the best) browser on the market.

Many Webdesigners are testing his work with opera because they now,

if Opera show the site correct, you did a good job.

Google is hypocrite. None of Google websites are W3 valid.

Google becomes to this what Microsoft was 10 years ago.

The Internet is suppose to be open to everybody. Blocking people for any reason is ridiculous and reeks of anti-competitive practices.

Read closer.. Google didn't block anyone.. They simply put up a banner along to top saying some features MAY not work as intended..

It's still fully functional.. And anyone in any modern browser can use it just fine..

Thank God I'm not an Opera user. I'd get so sick of whinging all day about how hard done by our little browser is.

To be fair, it is possible that there is a reason for not supporting Opera as it does have a lot of little oddities (despite its generally excellent standards support). Lost count of the number of times something has worked in every browser but Opera. Last one I recall is that it completely ignores the "onbeforeunload" Javascript event (IIRC because of misuse). It wouldn't surprise me if that is the feature behind this as it can be used for autosaving or warning of data loss (as Gmail does).

`onbeforeunload` is a non-standard, Microsoft event. It is only guaranteed to work in Windows Internet Explorer. There is no guarantee that it will work in other browsers.

https://developer.mo....onbeforeunload

http://reference.sit.../onbeforeunload

Read closer.. Google didn't block anyone.. They simply put up a banner along to top saying some features MAY not work as intended..

It's still fully functional.. And anyone in any modern browser can use it just fine..

Eventually, when Google adds new features, the unsupported browsers get stuck with the outdated feature set because of the (forgotten, neglected) browser sniffing in place. Google does feature block.