do no evil google opera chrome google chrome browser

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,703 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:42

MS used to do this on some of their sites. Like if you needed to be verified to download a product. Would only work under IE.

And I also know that when browsing some sites in FF, I get similar messages saying to use a different browser.

This is nothing new in what has been happening for years and not just limited to Google. But they should address the issues with their services and Chrome. They are pretty much not doing good by their customers who prefer using Opera.

#17 DerkPY

DerkPY

Neowinian Senior

• 1,890 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:25

Aren't there a lot of sites like this? I have to use IE8 to access my work emails properly through Outlook Web Access. Chrome and Firefox display a simplified version of it. Surely its the same deal here - APIs and all that.

Why doesn't Opera support the site properly? Why is this Googles fault if all of the features work in other browsers?

#18 SlimShady

SlimShady

Neowinian

• 199 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:40

Aren't there a lot of sites like this? I have to use IE8 to access my work emails properly through Outlook Web Access. Chrome and Firefox display a simplified version of it. Surely its the same deal here - APIs and all that.

Why doesn't Opera support the site properly? Why is this Googles fault if all of the features work in other browsers?

And what exactly is Opera lacking? Seriously.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,226 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:53

Google's sites haven't played well with Opera for a while. This isn't new.

Google instant search wasn't supported in Opera and if you masked the user agent, the page navigation buttons didn't work properly. Google Docs also had quirks - you couldn't hold down keys repeatedly while composing a document.

I guess their incentive to make things work in Opera is next to none considering how their own browser is doing.

a lot of google services worked great in Opera until Google bought them, like their office apps. worked great, google bought them, then in the first update to the site, nothing at all was changed, except the site suddenly no longer worked in Opera, and it went beyond user agent they actually added code that searched deeper to find the browser for the single purpose of breaking the webapp in opera.

Google has been after Opera since the start.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,226 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:56

Opera breaks more websites for me than any other browser. Go figure.

It doesn't, but a lot of websites purposely send bad code to opera due to browser sniffing. Most of them can be "fixed" with changing the opera user agent.

#21 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,271 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:13

It doesn't, but a lot of websites purposely send bad code to opera due to browser sniffing. Most of them can be "fixed" with changing the opera user agent.

I think any time there's browser sniffing for a reason other than "Version X has a certain bug that impacts the site" (e.g. certain versions of Firefox parse XML slowly, etc.), there's something wrong going on. If Opera doesn't support a feature it should just not find that specific feature, spoofing the UA as Chrome (Or Firefox or IE or Safari) shouldn't change anything.

#22 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,306 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:25

Google not officially supporting Opera is just like program developers not producing a Linux version in that they both have tiny amounts of market share and it potentially would be a waste of resources to fully support the little players.

#23 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:48

To be fair, it is possible that there is a reason for not supporting Opera as it does have a lot of little oddities (despite its generally excellent standards support). Lost count of the number of times something has worked in every browser but Opera. Last one I recall is that it completely ignores the "onbeforeunload" Javascript event (IIRC because of misuse). It wouldn't surprise me if that is the feature behind this as it can be used for autosaving or warning of data loss (as Gmail does).

#24 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,467 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:57

Opera's a decent web browser.

That gave me a good laugh. While the rendering engine might be okay the app itself is the most horrific one I've ever used on either OS X, Windows or Linux. It's a bloated steaming pile of cross-platform crap and the Opera developers just refuse to come up with something that actually integrates with the OS it runs on. Most terrible interface experience of all popular browsers in my opinion.

#25 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,291 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00

That gave me a good laugh. While the rendering engine might be okay the app itself is the most horrific one I've ever used on either OS X, Windows or Linux. It's a bloated steaming pile of cross-platform crap and the Opera developers just refuse to come up with something that actually integrates with the OS it runs on. Most terrible interface experience of all popular browsers in my opinion.

And I most whole heatedly disagree. It's one of the smallest browser downloads, has a very light UI, and is packed full of useful features if you need them - and if you don't they don't take up any RAM or get in your way. And certainly on Windows 8 the visual style fits in pretty nicely - not that any major browser actually has any form of really native UI on the platform anyway :p

On the subject of this thread though - is there actually anything broken in the site, or is Google just placing that message there for no real reason?

#26 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,467 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:16

And I most whole heatedly disagree. It's one of the smallest browser downloads, has a very light UI, and is packed full of useful features if you need them - and if you don't they don't take up any RAM or get in your way. And certainly on Windows 8 the visual style fits in pretty nicely - not that any major browser actually has any form of really native UI on the platform anyway :p

The binary on OS X is almost twice as big compared to Safari, but okay. Next to that's there's absolutely nothing native about its interface. Not even the buttons (active ones don't pulse like in every other app). It doesn't even respect the OS X Lion scroll bar preferences set in System Preferences, i.e. they're always visible instead of automatically hiding depending on your input device. No proper animations, scrolling isn't as smooth and overall nothing behaves as you'd expect it to compared to other apps.

It's true that Safari is basically the only desktop browser in existence that actually spots a 100% native interface, but on OS X only.

#27 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• 3,763 posts
  • Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35

A Google browser being advertised on a Google service? Shocking! Outrage! Pitchforks and torches!

#28 subcld

subcld

Neowinian

• 1,094 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 720 + 520

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:38

didn't recieve the massage since i don't use blogger :) nor any google service except for youtube without an account

#29 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,807 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 13:22

Opera looks pretty much the same as chrome or firefox on windows, exaggerate more? The only integration issue I noticed in windows is lack of native menus. Care to add any real substance to this claim?

#30 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,020 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 July 2012 - 13:31

I do remember.. and I think it was stupid.

Windows is a MS Product, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with that product.. My TomTom doesn't give me options on what to install, browser to use.. nor does my iPhone, Touchpad, or anything else.. It's Theirs.. And they should be left alone..

As I always use to compare.. The Antitrust against MS is like going to Ford, asking for a F150, but with a GM Hemmie engine.. Sorry, not their problem. Don't don't need to provide it, and they don't need to do anything to make it even possible.

And hell, Google hasn't even stopped Chrome from using it, they just warn about it at the top..

But I still say, if Tomorrow Google made all their sites and products work only in Chrome, or on Android devices, or whatever, if would be up to them.. I would say it sucks.. and be annoyed, but not illegal.. It's THEIRS.. I don't see why anyone else has any other say..
This isn't contaminated Meat or something where the Gov't should have a say.. It's a product/server that you are not Forced to use.. It's all choice.. Googles choices would affect peoples choice to use their products or not, and the world would continue..

Thank God you're not an anti trust lawmaker...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!