Four teenagers turn in wallet with over $700

Four Great Falls teenagers have proved that while their age group might get a bad rap for being music-blaring, text-crazy, lazy individuals, they're still capable of doing good in the world.

On June 22, 18-year-old Chance Cleveland was walking from a convenience store on Fox Farm Road, across the fields and the train tracks, on his way to work at Cold Stone Creamery in Marketplace.

He had no idea that his wallet, which contained more than $700 from a paycheck he'd just cashed, had disappeared, until a police officer, Steve O'Brien, showed up at the back door of Cold Stone and wanted to see him.

"I was wondering what was going on," he said. "He gave me my wallet and every dime was there."

Alison Taylor, 13, Korey Thompson, 14, Kaylee Olson, 14 and Sean Morris, 14, were the good Samaritans who came to Cleveland's rescue.

Kaylee said they were headed to the park to go play basketball and saw the wallet lying near the train tracks. She said it would have been easy to just take the money, but they decided to call the police instead.

"We decided if we'd lost our wallet, we would want somebody to return it," she said. "We were pretty glad he got it back."

Korey said they decided to call the police because, along with the cash, Cleveland also had important identification cards in the wallet, but they couldn't find a way to get in touch with Cleveland himself.

Korey said it was tempting to think about what they could do with all that cash, but he was glad they made the better decision to give it back, especially when they learned Cleveland needed the money to pay rent.

"We just decided to do a good deed," Korey said.

Cleveland said he didn't know who had found his wallet until his friend who worked at the convenience store on Fox Farm heard the kids talking about how they'd found the wallet. Cleveland said his friend called him from the store and put him on the phone with the teenagers.

He had to return the favor in the best way he knew how.

"I hooked them up with some free ice cream," Cleveland said.

Source

Why?

The paycheck was obviously for something, just because there was loads of money in it doesn't mean he has to give them a massive reward.

this is worth a news??? whats next? someone gives back lost candy and writes a news about it?

Considering how much **** 'youth' get, I'm not surprised this makes the news.

The MBTA (Subway System) here has ads on the busses and trains that are fake news articles about people giving up their seats or returning lost goods basically saying it shouldn't have to be a news story for someone to do the right thing.

"I hooked them up with some free ice cream," Cleveland said.

Source

He'll be fired by the end of the week for doing that, watch.. like the private company life guard who got fired for saving someone's life, because they were outside of his section..

Nice of them to do that. When I tried to give someone their wallet back they turned round and accused me of stealing it. Even though all their money and valuables were still in there.

I guess I'm just unlucky with my good deeds.

It is not really newsworthy when it is large amounts involved, as large amounts are more likely to be returned as most people have a conscience. What makes it even more likely is that there were accompliances/witnesses so there would be a fear of being judged or reported to the police if you didn't do the right thing. It would be more newsworthy if they bothered to return a small amount (eg: $20) or they could not find the owner of the large sum and were allowed to keep it.