7 posts in this topic

Posted

BitTorrent usage increases in Europe, following the blockade of The Pirate Bay

In a twist that will surprise no one except the RIAA, MPAA, BREIN, and other anti-piracy lobbies, the amount of BitTorrent traffic has stayed the same or increased in Europe following the blockade of The Pirate Bay in the UK, Netherlands, and other countries.

This news comes from XS4All, one of the largest European ISPs, which has published a graph of the network traffic associated with the BitTorrent protocol (pictured below). The left side of the graph is January 2012, the right side is June 2012, and the red line signifies February, when Dutch ISPs were ordered to block The Pirate Bay. While it

Posted

This doesn't surprise me. Every time they get a site blocked it merely enhances the sites profile due to all the media attention and then even more people visit. You can't block information on the internet you can merely block one way to get to that information. All the mirror sites for the pirate bay clearly illustrate that.

Posted

People have less and less disposable income and they pirate more.

This is my surprised face.

Posted

People have less and less disposable income and they pirate more.

This is my surprised face.

I only see a cat, liking his nose ...

Posted

I'm sure I read the Piratebay got a massive traffic increase after it had been blocked anyway, all the media attention just raises awareness for the site.

1 person likes this

Posted

I only see a cat, liking his nose ...

Actually he was licking the cellphones camera :-)

Posted

I have some personal experience with people only learning about TPB and what you can do with it after it has hit the front page of the BBC homepage.

"I saw something about The Pirate Bay being blocked because it lets you download stuff for free? How do I use it?"

Anti-piracy folks certainly don't help themselves.