Facebook asking users to help eliminate pseudonyms

Apparently the youths in Germany today don't have a clue what stasi was....

I think the implication is that it's about acting as an informant on family on friends, getting them into trouble. (Except there's no evidence for that, of course)

I use a pseudonym as I changed my name years back but just never made it official - it is just a regular name that I choose to use instead of my birth name. All my friends know me by it and my employers didn't have have a problem with it. I shouldn't have to change my name by deed poll just to be able to use a social networking site with my chosen name, especially not when this move is designed simply to protect advertising revenue by ensuring users are using their legal name.

If I have to change it officially then I will but I will resent Facebook if I have to do it.

See, this I see absolutely no problem with. What annoys me is people trying to bring back the stupid MySpace behavior of being funny or cute with their name.

I'm ok with this if it'll help remove people with names like "John CRAZYAWESOME Doe" or "Stephanie l0vepowerpedals" or whatever stupid "nicknames" people use.

This!

In what way its just a meeting place with a posh front end to post opinion the same as here, nothing more.If anything its more populated by buisness advertising than a forum ?

Facebook is what you make of it. If you want to be someone else, go on ahead, but it sort of defeats the purpose of being able to be yourself which is why many people use it to begin with: so they can actually find each other and communicate without trying to remember who xXxsexygurl61xXx is.

In what way its just a meeting place with a posh front end to post opinion the same as here, nothing more.If anything its more populated by buisness advertising than a forum ?

Nope my friends will know my page and I have a second for buisnesses that just want me to like them just to view their content

Putting "real" names will never remove either spam or arguments, so theres no benefit except for Faceache marketting purposes

yes it does, not for you but in general..

And yes, news comments that use facebook are much cleaner now than before.

I know a couple of people who don't use their real name for privacy reasons, like not wanting to be stalked or whatever. They have legitimate reasons for this. They use a real-sounding name that's a variation of their real one, and only tell the name to those who they want to "friend" on there. I don't think that should be banned at ALL.

So Facebook makes a change, possibly for the better (who knows), and people are outraged? Surprise, surprise.

What a narrow-minded and limited view you have shown there. This is not an acceptable question to ask at all.

I know a couple of people who don't use their real name for privacy reasons, like not wanting to be stalked or whatever. They have legitimate reasons for this. They use a real-sounding name that's a variation of their real one, and only tell the name to those who they want to "friend" on there. I don't think that should be banned at ALL.

They could just ignore the friend reuest of a stalker, or add them to an ignore/block list, it actually works better.

The change forcing real names is one of the reasons I almost completely stopped using Messenger.

If I don't want to reveal my name then that's my choice..

The change forcing real names is one of the reasons I almost completely stopped using Messenger.

If I don't want to reveal my name then that's my choice..

They are not forcing anything, read more than the title, the title is pure BS.

They are not forcing anything, read more than the title, the title is pure BS.

I didn't say they were.. But something tells me they are doing it for more than market research.

its strange how some would clearly remove others right to privacy in using an assumed name, all in the name of marketing

This is a good thing, i can see at least one thing better. People make company profiles or little stores on Personal Profiles. Its plain stupid but they still do it. I wish that Facebook converts all those profiles into Fan Pages like they should be.

This is just an example.

They're trying to remove all of the users that aren't filling out their real info. Reasons like this is why I deleted my facebook account and will never have one again.

im sure facebook was affected by you leaving lol